• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it possible to win him back?

Mems

Hello, perhaps somebody can give me an advice.

On april 1st I (31 years old) met a guy (32 years old) - let's call him Nick - and I fell in love with him. He fell in love with me as well. Our relationship lasted for 3 weeks. He hurt me so badly all the time. So, I called my girlfriend and she gave me the advice to end the relationship. Because I don't fall in love easily, but when it happens it is real and solid, I thought I will not be able to walk away from this guy, no matter how mean he is, if I don't do it as soon as possible. I needed to end this, before my love grows stronger. And I called him and told him so.
Two days after I ended the relationship I suddenly realized he could be autistic, because somebody mentioned this to me. And everything began to make sense. He was always completely surprised when I started to cry and he is just different than everybody else I've ever met. I started to read books from autistic authors and follow some autistic people on youtube. I also contacted the girlfriend of Nick's best friend and we talked a lot about Nick. She told me I was the first who seems to understand Nick a little and gave me the advice to have a chat with Nick and sort things out. We did.
For Nick I must be the most horrible person and I see his point. Because he thinks I am very unpredictable, doing whatever somebody tells me to do, ending the relationship without thinking about it before and without giving him a second chance. And I talked about him with the girlfriend of his best friend. He is extremely sensitive and surely doesn't like all of this. Well, who would? He told me that he doesn't think we could come together again because he lost his feelings for me. But we could be friends. Perhaps his feelings will come back, but he cannot guarantee me that. I know that he finds me very attractive and this gives me some hope. But he told me I was impatient and unbalanced and should leave him alone so he can think about everything. He also dates other women again.
I did everything wrong, because I did not know he was a very gentle person just using very harsh words and when stressed about stuff building a wall around him. He told me all of that, but I did not get it, it just irritated me. Now I get it. He wishes a relationship for life, dates a lot of women, but it seldomly works for longer than one evening. His longest relationship lasted 3 months and the woman was 50 years old.
Now, that I know more about him, I want to have him back. But I am passionate and impatient as hell and it costs me a lot of energy to now wait for him not knowing if he will come back.
My personality irritates him and his personality irritates me. Is it better to let him go, because I am not a person suitable for somebody like him? Will he come back? How do I behave so that he SEES that I got it now? How long do I have to wait until he comes back if he comes back? Well, how do you know? Still, perhaps you can give me your opinion, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very, very much for your answer.
I will go through the thread.

If I clearly perceive this, why would I want to pursue such a relationship? Because he is the most fascinating person I have ever met. The relationship he has with machines is very moving or touching for me. He drives a car as if he was the car. There is a plane he likes very much and he always asked me if I can see it smile. He opened this world to me and I fell in love with it. And he personifies this world. He has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard in my life. Now that I think I understand why he speaks harshly to me I am not as irritated about it as I was. But he is irritated about me, I always kind of felt that.

I see your point. I think I could learn how he means the things he says like I would learn a new language. But you say that I would defy my own instincts. And this would be devastating for both of us. And I don't want that at all. I want him to be well.

But he is irritated about me, I always kind of felt that.

Maybe. But then maybe again it may actually be frustration on his part because he cannot relate to how you are communicating to him. And there are any number of our traits and behaviors which may appear personally directed towards Neurotypicals, that are really about ourselves.

A good reason to check out the link I posted above, in a thread involving another Neurotypical wanting to sustain a turbulent relationship with someone on the spectrum of autism. You may find it useful.

Thank you for your answer.

Frustration... ok. This is very sad. Or it might had nothing to do with me. Yes, when I look back, there were some occasions I took personally, but they were not related to me, I think.

I am very glad you sent me the thread. I read 1 to 9 and will continue reading. Irrespective of what happens with that guy and me, with him I discovered autism and I want to know as much as possible about it. I know I will never truly feel how it is to be autistic. I once worked at a place I really didn't fit in at all. My coworkers did not understand my points I wanted to bring across, they did not get my humor and they once told me I was rude. This confused me so much. I felt so weird and uncomfortable. Anyway, whatever I have experienced or will experience, I think I will never derive from these experiences any notion of how an autistic person feels, however much I wish to.

At the moment I'm doing my further education to become a psychotherapist so I am interested in human behavior. I've learned a little bit about autism at university, but I have never experienced it on another person. So now I really catched fire and I will read a lot about it, that's for sure. Things autistic people have written.

Thank you for having shared your opinion with me. You answered my questions in my first message. Thank you. I'm very happy for more writing with you, but I'm also ok if you stop, because I don't want to take your time.

If I clearly perceive this, why would I want to pursue such a relationship? Because he is the most fascinating person I have ever met. The relationship he has with machines is very moving or touching for me. He drives a car as if he was the car. There is a plane he likes very much and he always asked me if I can see it smile. He opened this world to me and I fell in love with it. And he personifies this world. He has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard in my life. Now that I think I understand why he speaks harshly to me I am not as irritated about it as I was. But he is irritated about me, I always kind of felt that.

Be very, very careful. It sounds as if you may be in love with an image of this man. You haven't known him long enough to know who he really is. All the things you love about him now may well come to irritate you in the future just as his mode of expression bothers you now.

I would take him up on his offer to be "just friends" ... and I mean friends only ... no "benefits." If he wants more, then he should be willing to have a relationship.

When a relationship begins with problems between the people involved, it usually doesn't get better. Quite the opposite in fact.

Slow yourself down and be patient. You're young enough to wait awhile.

He irritates you, you irritate him, you have difficulty communicating, he is mean to you... these things aren't going to change just because you now understand that he is autistic. If a relationship is hurting you, you should leave it, because it is unhealthy and highly unlikely that things will miraculously get better.

I agree with Cali that it sounds like you are in infatuated with the image you have of him, not who he really is (it is far to early for you to know who he really is). Stick to being friends, and get to know him before even considering trying at a relationship together.

Thank you both for your answer. I see your points: it is unlikely that the relationship gets better if it started with problems and I cannot know so early who he really is.
I should get to know him better being in a friendship and then perhaps consider anything more than that after a longer period of time. But that it will work if I knew him better is very unlikely, because it did not work in the beginning.
I hope I understood that correctly and I will not take further actions but observe my images I have about him over the next months and be very, very careful :relieved:.

Little update here. I observed him as a friend for a while now and I can say that he is not a nice person - autistic or not, doesn't matter. My image of him was quite rose-colored. I'm glad I listened to your advice and opinions and did not behave as I normally would have done (I'm usually the opposite of careful) :grin::sweatsmile:

New Threads

Top Bottom