• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it common for people with Asperger's to become atheist?

But aren't they disproving a lot of biblical stuff? Like Noah's Arc?

There may be scientists who have been able to disprove some things, just as there are scientists who can prove others. For example, a while back scientists showed that the splitting of the Red Sea to allow Moses to walk from one side to the other, could actually be possible.

As katcha has said, everyones interpretation of the Bible will be a different one. So not everything should be taken as literal fact or as having the same meaning in modern day. I think that the Bible also has analogies as well to help explain its "moral code". Again, I'm not an expert and am not necessarily defending either one, just pointing out that both science and the Bible have their "gray areas".

I became an atheist when the bible didn't start to make sen and I was learning all these other things like how the earth got formed and dinosaurs existing, how I existed and my brothers and my parents and other people. God didn't make us, our parents did. How is god responsible for that? And food, humans grow the food and make food too and ship it off to stores, food comes from animals also. How does god do that? So that is why I became an atheist.

I'm agnostic; but I do enjoy reading about different religions and practices. Culturally speaking I am Christian but that is about it. If I was to believe in the Abrahamic faith it would be purely Monotheistic like Islam or Judaism.

In my home country, most HFAs/Aspies I know are Christians. As for me, I am still exploring spiritually. I read books on Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, and at one time, even Hinduism - but I am still, still exploring.

In my home country, most HFAs/Aspies I know are Christians. As for me, I am still exploring spiritually. I read books on Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, and at one time, even Hinduism - but I am still, still exploring.

It's good that you are exploring things. For myself, I am agnostic at the moment and I don't identify with anything else. I'm just going to wait and see what happens before I claim that there is or God or isn't. I personally think that is the best approach in keeping an open mind. I could easily watch people on both sides (religious, non religious) prove and disprove things but it would go back and forth like ping pong. I suppose no one will really know for sure until they die.

for spirituality and aspergers are somewhat on different worlds, i have friends who always tell me "oh you should follow jesus! if you believe in other Gods you will go to hell!" well one, define Hell for me as i recall in ancient texts it only mentions hell 3 times. as a city, Sheol(which is the Jewish word for simply Unknown or the Grave. and a trash dump where ba'al worshipers would worship Ba'al. which simply translates to Lord in Phoneician or proto hebrew. but growing up ive seen Gods And Goddesses and animal spirits and other types of things from the supernatural so much infact ghost stuff and the papranormal shows they dont phase me anymore. but it is a good thing to Explore ones personal faith views. i consider myself a Polytheist, yet i chose to worship one goddess, which is freya and that makes since to me. i consider spirtuality a journey to finds ones inner self as well as to answer the question of "how old is the earth?" heres a great example. as the buddha was Teaching his followers they all asked him questions and until one of them nodded and all the Buddha did was lift up a flower and that was his sermon. so it seems to me the earth is just here :) and also look up Enuma Elish and the epic of Gilgamesh they both have flood stories that predate the Old testaments flood story by oh a 1000 years :3

More common, likely for the reasons that we tend to be hyper logical and more concrete than the average population. Think another user mentioned that but it does make sense, I also believe that many of us were from a younger age told or (worse) forced to believe in a certain religion be it pressure from family or otherwise, and as a consequence be bound to the rules of that religion. The latter I highly disapprove of, I'll be damned if I'm living life by what a book says.

That said, I'd consider myself split between a higher being and no higher being (agnostic?), as there are some things out there that can only be explained by one or the other but never both.

That said, I'd consider myself split between a higher being and no higher being (agnostic?), as there are some things out there that can only be explained by one or the other but never both.

Sometimes I feel like that too. There seems to be many things in life that just can't be explained.

I don't really know if it's common or not. I think in the end nobody knows anything for sure... it doesn't really matter what we believe in, what matters is whether our faith brings balance into our lives and leads us down a path of growth rather than self destruction.

I myself am an Atheist. I feel like my Aspberger's does make me think a bit hyper logical and grounded, which could be part of it. I don't really understand spirituality or paranormal things either, the logic doesn't fit for me.

I'm not sure if it's common. I've come across writing and videos of people with Asperger's who were quite religious. I think it depends more on where your interests lie.

Asperger's just make people more critical, including their religion... Even though there are Christians (and people of other religions) pulling through tough times and doubts of spirituality, such experiences have been shown to test people, and some people just realize that religion is not for them.

But then, there are a few people who pulled through tests and doubts religion. This includes Aspies. Sometimes support by other fellow Aspies who are into religion helps. Other times, it's just realization.

For most in the West, though, religion is a freedom of choice and an individual right, so it's a personal relationship.

Sometimes it's not the outside that matters, it's what the inside that we all do not see that matters, and we cannot really change some of the 'inside', despite our best efforts. But for other things, we can do our best to optimize them to reach their best effects to our world.

well that's true but we have discovered the thing that is endless, uncontrollable, uncreatable. Energy, we can only change it's image, like make electricity and stuff.

I think Black and White Kitsune's remark about Aspergers and spirituality being on somewhat different worlds has a lot of truth to it. I know even by the age of seven or eight I was privately skeptical of what the adults around me wanted me to believe, but I knew better than to say it out loud. Because I know what Jonathan means when he talks about being forced to believe. I didn't have a choice. I wasn't allowed to question when it came to religion. I honestly don't know why that is unless adults are threatened when a child says he or she doesn't believe. But let a child make any kind of positive statement about God and adults fall all over him or her, lauding his or her spirituality and wisdom. Bull! The fact is that young children do not know the difference between reality and fantasy, and every child wants approval.

Some of us only find spirituality only when we have patient guides going through with us what spirituality is all about.

I'm an agnostic myself, but I think it more has to do with upbringing.
I was not introduced to a lot of religion as a child even though both my parents consider themselves Christian. My mother being very tolerant and understanding allowed me to explored other options. My father just wants me to believe in something and to be a good person. If i had been raised by my aunt in Washington I would probably been a Mormon with Autism, If I had been raised by my family in Southern California I probably would of been a Baptist with Autism (one of my second cousins is a baptist with Autism).

I'm a Christian, but I do believe that many aspies become atheists because of our rigid & highly logical thinking.

I thought about not replying to this thread. But I was thinking...I am a pagan. I have believe in some of the bible too. But my issues with it all stem from from loosing my good friend. I don't know...I think its hard to judge what makes a person loose faith or have faith in something to begin with. I wish I could be more precise but I can't...I know I lost a lot of faith in people when my friend was killed. But I don't know how to explain my faith or lack thereof or my pagan tendencies I guess I'm an enigma.

I was raised a catholic. but over the years I came to question some the churches teachings. With all the child abuse scandals and the cover up by the church authories, whom thought the reputation of the church was more important then victims of child abuse. I think a lot of religion is a power trip to have control over people.

Since i was 2 years old my parents always told me that if i dont believe in jesus this that and the other i would burn in hell and be tormented by scary demons. That scared me, as it would any child, so i grew up believing i was a christian but really, i just didn't want to burn in hell. When i was about 15 i learnt how barbaric and illogical the 3 abrahamic religions are and learnt what a petty creature this god is. Im now a man of science and believe nothing to be real other than the physical universe. Theres no scientific evidence for any earth religions to be true so that works for me.

I think that a lot more Aspies are atheist than theist.

Although I myself am a Christian. I'm a very rational and reasonable Christian. My mind is open to the balance of science and God, and an over-simplification of my views is that God uses the law of science as his tools. I believe that evolution is true, evolution doesn't contradict Chistianity at all. Evolution was simply Gods method of forming life.

Just makes sense to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom