• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

IQ tests

Many people have I believe. Yet traditional IQ tests are designed for general knowledge and not for Aspies as rule. Unless of course, science or maths are their special interests. Personally have done badly on IQ tests that focus on algebra, calculus and trigonometry. Yet do well on other aspects of IQ tests.

IQ tests usually don't include algebra, calculus or anything which requires any specific knowledge. Perhaps that was a different type of test.

I took an IQ test as a kid and then an entrance exam very much like an IQ test for university, which they used to choose who got the scholarships. I did well on the one when I was a kid and then I got a really good entrance scholarship, so I guess I did well on that too.

I took the official Mensa one a while back which was very interesting. Had to go about 30 miles from where I live and sit in a classroom with invigilator so just like being back at school doing an exam. My score was 142 which is not quite enough for Mensa unfortunately. I would say give it a go - not sure it proves much but an interesting experience if you like solving puzzles.

I've taken one for a psyche eval before. Needed? I don't think so. I don't think it's an accurate measure of intelligence either. Fish and the tree thing, you know?:)

For any reason, I never took one so I was not sure if I should or not
Usually, the necessity is determined by a care provider.

In school, they are used to assess giftedness and/or learning disabilities to determine if special education might be recommended.

For neuro-psyche assessments, they are used to determine psychiatric needs. Some behaviors present like mental illness, but aren't if the person is gifted [ex. the Rorschach test*]. Tests like the WAIS-IV can also screen for neurological health problems and are more detailed in their assessments. (These are very expensive, unless insurance pays for them.)

Mensa tests are real IQ tests, but do not count for a medical evaluation. Mensa has a score-to-IQ conversion page at Test Score Conversion Tables

Mensa's test costs around $60 when it isn't on sale and are recognized by other high-IQ societies.

*The Rorschach has not been normed for either the gifted or auties.

Last edited:
I did once officially when I was 12 in Florida. It's not horribly necessary. It doesn't really prove much beyond your brain's raw processing power. The only relevant fact I can think of where IQ really matters is that IQs above 120 are negatively correlated with financial success, life satisfaction, mental and physical health, and pretty much everything "sugar spice and everything nice" about life. Hmm.

Hmmm well I took 2 different ones and scored 120. Yet I’m in a factory working my butt off and getting treated like crap lol

Hmmm well I took 2 different ones and scored 120. Yet I’m in a factory working my butt off and getting treated like crap lol
Haha. If you were in a university teaching physics, you might still be treated like crap AND you have to grade papers. On the OTHER HAND, you get summer and Christmas off.....hmmmmmm sign me up.

I did once officially when I was 12 in Florida. It's not horribly necessary. It doesn't really prove much beyond your brain's raw processing power. The only relevant fact I can think of where IQ really matters is that IQs above 120 are negatively correlated with financial success, life satisfaction, mental and physical health, and pretty much everything "sugar spice and everything nice" about life. Hmm.

I've seen stats that say correlation with success is positive up to 120, after which IQ increase does not seem to increase success. Malcolm Gladwell book I think, David & Goliath?

I don't think standardised tests work for non-standard minds, which is why I only got 128.

I'm MUCH clever than that.

I don't have test results to prove it as no - aspie test exists, but I'm sure mine is 158.

That's at least the number that pops into my head when I think about how devastatingly clever I am.

Maybe 161 on a good day.

I was diagnosed using the criteria from the old DSM IV. The diagnosis was Asperger's Syndrome (DSM IV 299.80). According to this criteria, you have to have at least average IQ for the diagnosis to be Asperger's. I was given the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence to insure that my IQ was high enough to qualify for a diagnosis of AS. The test subject matter was very diverse and got harder as the test went on. To my knowledge, this is the only IQ test that I have ever had.

@Full Steam , one autism expert that I know believes that, due to sensory issues, etc., most IQ tests (that are timed) underestimate Aspie IQs.

I KNEW there would be an expert to back up what i just made up!

:D

I think Aspie's have a very uneven intelligence profile. The chart would be all peaks and troughs.

That explains why you can be firing on all cylinders all day, and then there's a wooshing sound and you're looking up out of deep ravine, with a confused look on your face.

i had to do an extensive one for the ASD screening.
i scored quite high,

a lot of people think that there is a direct link between high iq and success and happiness,
not true

i know people who were told that they weren't 'right' for university, wet anyway, worked really hard and who were ultimately professionally very successful

a lot of people think that there is a direct link between high iq and success...
A lack of social instinct can sure sabotage that trajectory...
rolleyes_orig.gif

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom