• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intro/Stimming/Sobriety

meg_amber98

I’m Meg, I’m 22, I’m a suicide survivor, in Ed recovery, sufferer of social anxiety and depression and recently diagnosed asd. I’m hopefully on the road to sobriety but I just can’t seem to stay on the right path. It’s not that I’m a social drinker or smoker of the green stuff as I don’t really have any friends. But I do find myself craving something to maybe help me chill out/slow down I don’t know if it’s better or worse that I do this alone. I can just never be still and it’s draining me and stressing me out more than ever. I find it really difficult to just sit with myself or do one thing at a time. Any stimming pointers?? Or tools? Techniques? Cheers Meg.

ASDs are commonly associated with anxiety, and elevated stress. There are ways to minimize the symptoms. Unfortunately many find alcohol and so-called depressant drugs to self medicate. There is often a GABA:glutamine imbalance, there can be other neurotransmitter imbalances, hypothalamus-pituitary imbalances. Cortisol and ACTH elevation can lead to all sorts of health issues. I've given you a path to do some research. Read into so-called autism diets. There is no cure for autism, but rather it comes down to educating yourself on how best to stay healthy and self-manage symptoms. Methyl B12, L-theanine, melatonin, chelated magnesium can be helpful with sleep and anxiety. Being self aware of your dietary triggers can be helpful. If, after everything, then consider medications. In this case, knowledge and self study is most helpful. Stick to reliable sources such as scientific databases like Google Scholar, PubMed, Medline, etc. The general internet has a disturbing amount of misinformation.

Welcome! Many of us find in our special interests a way to distract us from the trials and tribulations of life. Such interests can vary greatly, and may also change with time. Learning about ASD itself is a common special interest.

I also cannot sit still. It is borderline Akathisia. Neurological. Very hard to deal with.

Hi and welcome, I hope you will enjoy it here and find it supportive, it's good that you are here. An absorbing hobby that involves doing something actively might be useful, for example I'm thinking of @Raggamuffin a member here who has been sober a while now, he does staff spinning, there are tutorials for it you can Google. He's posted a video of himself doing it, it looks great.

Also board games for one, @Misery another member has that as an absorbing hobby, there's a lot of depth to it apparently. I largely gave up alcohol over a year ago, and go walking a lot, and I stay busy enough with a few projects that interest me always ongoing.

It sounds like you may be lonely too? So this is a good place to be, and perhaps you can find ways to engage with others as vaccines roll out, maybe a class or interest group, or volunteering? Therapy is also a good help, in my experience, I ve done plenty, and much of it was useful.

:palmtree::spiralshell::seedling::cactus::leafwind::blossom::bug::sunflower:

Hi and welcome, I hope you will enjoy it here and find it supportive, it's good that you are here. An absorbing hobby that involves doing something actively might be useful, for example I'm thinking of @Raggamuffin a member here who has been sober a while now, he does staff spinning, there are tutorials for it you can Google. He's posted a video of himself doing it, it looks great.

Also board games for one, @Misery another member has that as an absorbing hobby, there's a lot of depth to it apparently. I largely gave up alcohol over a year ago, and go walking a lot, and I stay busy enough with a few projects that interest me always ongoing.

It sounds like you may be lonely too? So this is a good place to be, and perhaps you can find ways to engage with others as vaccines roll out, maybe a class or interest group, or volunteering? Therapy is also a good help, in my experience, I ve done plenty, and much of it was useful.

:palmtree::spiralshell::seedling::cactus::leafwind::blossom::bug::sunflower:

So I am an artist, I paint a lot it’s something I wish I could do full time but I don’t make sell enough to make a living from it yanno? I work with children full time which is a blessing and a curse, of course they’re the sweetest and I can get my energy out which is helpful but can also be stressful and by the end of the day I’m just so irritable and tired but unable to chill.
As for therapy I’ll get there hopefully, it’s just I’ve done cbt and been passed about around so many therapists it’s hard to imagine having to start all over again...
Thanks for your lovely wordssss

Glad you mad it thru so far. I know it can be a rough road. Have to ask what Ed training and cbt are. Asking so I know what you have tried already.

P.S. At a glance sounds like self medicating. Which many do.

Welcome here!

I come here late nights and it helps me unwind at the end of the day.
Always something of interest. Hope you find it helpful too. :)

Thanks for sharing your issues. Alot of us get drained from pretty much the same things. l am dealing with a black cloud and l am aging which is hard enough without people shoving their hidden agendas on you. My black cloud is people's hidden agenda. I work but sometimes l want to stay home after Covid. It has made most workplaces stressful. Anyways perhaps you will share your art work with us here.

I don't give much thought to my occasional stimming. I pace, and I sway back and forth. It just happens, and at this point in my life I don't care in the least what people make of it. Neither should you. Stim away if it makes you more comfortable.

Welcome to the Autism Forums.

New Threads

Top Bottom