• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Immune system controls social behavior

It's something I read years, ago. Something to effect that 70% of all these neuro-chemicals are actually manufactured in the gut. (Hence: The second brain.)
Maybe It was only certain chemicals, I was reading about, not the total output.

Some quick search results.

Serotonin and Dopamine of course are very important neurotransmitters in psychology. Influencing social behaviors. Controlling reward centers of the brain. Regulating Mood.
This is entirely speculative and as hypotheses have no validity until you can trace the pathways and biochemical dynamics and what you provide is nothing of the sort. No evidence is provided to even suggest that metabolites in the gut can even escape tightly regulated transport and other biochemical homeostatic mechanisms. Even on its face, it is ridiculous to think that just because you spout off the chemical synthesis from precurser metabolites that it actually happens in the absence of specific enzymes. Show me the tracer studies and purification of neurotransmitters in gut contents. What do I hear? Crickets. And, your training in biochemistry, cell biology, and microbiology, that allows you to judge the veracity of the claims being made?

I never said I was expert. Are you? you speak with such authoritativeness.

I 'm not judging the veracity. This is just information floating around in Scientific Journals.

Another random pick, I find interesting.

About 95% of 5-HT is estimated to be found in gut mainly within the enterochromaffin cells whereas about 5% is found in the brain. 5-HT is an important enteric signaling molecule and is well known for playing a key role in sensory-motor and secretory functions in the gut.
Serotonin in the gut: Blessing or a curse - PubMed

5-HT I know is a serotonin precursor. As You can buy it in supplement form.

More..this time just a blog.
additional neuro-transmitters, already in short supply in a Parkinson's model, are manufactured in the gut - over half our Dopamine and c. 85% of serotonin is manufactured in the colon. This typically has a very positive cognitive effect (reducing 'brain fog' while improving sleep, speech, mood and initiative).
SYMBYX Announces Two New Clinical Trials for Parkinson's

Speculative or not. There's a lot of Brain chemicals in our guts. That's well established.

I never said I was expert. Are you? you speak with such authoritativeness.

I 'm not judging the veracity. This is just information floating around in Scientific Journals.

Another random pick, I find interesting.

5-HT I know is a serotonin precursor. As You can buy it in supplement form.

More..this time just a blog.

Speculative or not. There's a lot of Brain chemicals in our guts. That's well established.
So, for once you provide one decent citation without understanding the biology. And, a PR release talking about a regulatory IND (investigative new drug/device) trial, is not research.
Your use of the reference to Kulchitsky cells is a complete misinterpretation in thinking that there must be a neurological effect. As I stated before, neurotransmitters are synthesized by the cells that use them, not the gut microflora, and these cells are no different. Of course signaling to an autonomic system directly involved with gut motility is important and the synthesis is at the cellular level and not involved with the gut microflora. The effects are at nanometer scale and entirely local, no cognition involved there. I only see you promote your searches, which is not research, with only one from a peer reviewed journal, without any understanding of basic biology, homeostatic function and regulation, or being able to make biological inferences. Just because a neurotransmitter is involved in gut motility signaling does not mean that there is a neurological effect. Clearly you also do not understand the dynamics of receptor binding and reuptake to even think that transmitters produced in one organ will impact another without clear transport mechanisms. There are biological mechanisms that prevent such occuring, just as we have an innate immune systen with interlocking up and down regulation to usually prevent it from full-on panic mode like Limulus does when encountering endotoxin.

Last edited:
I can count on one hand the times I've been seriously ill. Hepatitis when I was young, pneumonia in my teens, and what I suspect was probably H1N1 during the 2009 pandemic. Omicron was a joke compared to all of that.

What a flaky immune system I've got, huh? :emojiconfused:

I find the theory highly plausible, that a disruption of the gut flora, could have repercussions for brain development, cognitive changes, mental disorders.

I've read certain pathogens are implicated, suspected to play a role in Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's.

It's not inconceivable a gut-brain axis connection, as it's been widely reported for decades now, with the higher incidence of gastrointestinal problems associated with Autism. Particularity gluten, wheat sensitivity, akin to Caelic disease.

I'm sure you've heard the stories about people going grain free, and claiming cognitive effects, less autistic behavior, from a simple dietary change. This Theory would seem to back that up. As What you eat, affects microbiome, changes the balance, ratios of specific strains.

I'm 35 and I have a Milkybar problem. I buy quite a few "share bags" of Milkybar buttons per week.

I´m german and my problem is that there is no milkybar in germany at all or I never saw one. I don´t know how it tastes. I only know milkyway: Milky Way – Wikipedia

I also like Milchschnitte Milch-Schnitte – Wikipedia

there is also Kinderschokolade https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JpVx11fo...NEI0Y/s1600/Ferrero-Kinder-Chocolate-100g.jpg

https://www.kaufda.de/insights/shar...18/05/Kinder-Schokolade-Fuball-WM-Edition.jpg :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Tbh Kinder Chocolate is absolutely wonderful as well. That has a similar creaminess to Milky Bar.

Ed

"Your honour, you see I murdered those people, set fire to the house and everything...because..because I was high on Kinder eggs....see it affected my microbiome, and my dog started talking to me and.... I was on all night milky bar binge...I lost control...it's not my fault...it was the chocolate, the chocolate made me do it."

New Threads

Top Bottom