• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm The Grandmother To 11 Year Old Boy/Possible Aspergers

Shadow205

i am glad to have found this site. My Grandson has been struggling since 4th grade in school. It has been an uphill battle with the school system. He had a 504 plan which was never followed and he continued to fall behind and become more withdrawn and resentfull toward school. This week is the 1st time that Autism or Aspergers has ever been mentioned. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was about 8 and given Aderal. I don't understand him being 11 years old and it never being suggested. He did have developmental delays as a baby. He was slow to sit up, crawl and walk. We thought it was just because he was a big baby. His fine motor skills seemed to be advanced but gross motor skills lagged behind. He has always been rather clumsy, particularly when running. He was never one to have temper tantrums as a toddler, he was a very happy, outgoing, good natured child. As he got older he began to have angry outbursts that are getting worse. He will actually hit himself during these episodes and sometimes throw things. He wants to have friends so bad but for some reason has trouble making and maintaining friendships. I guess that I have rambled on enough for and introduction, lol. I have never had anyone that I discussed this with before.

Hi! Welcome to AC! I'm new too. I can understand how hard it is raising a child on the spectrum being not only the mom of one but also being one.

I highly recommend the book called The Loving Push by Temple Grandin. It's a new book that just came out and it's awesome. It's a must read! It was like reading about myself and the strategies it recommends work.

Anyway, I hope you find this community helpful in understanding the autistic world. :)

Welcome Shadow205 :)

Did you know that under federal law Schools are legally bound to 504's.

I do know that. The school always had some excuse when called on the fact that they were not in compliance. What we heard most was they didn't have the staff to acccomodate him. There was never any adjustments made on the homework assignments. Sometimes he was sent to another room to take tests but there was never any consistency. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Welcome. Hope you like it here. Maybe it will help you gain some new insight into the lives of those with Asperger Syndrome and autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom