• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had been born without ASD, what would you be like?

It's hard to imagine but I guess I'd be a pretty "upstanding", curious and social person.
I want to be a lot of things and I've tried lots of things everything from being a soldier to carpentry so it's hard to pick one occupation. Maybe an adventurer or archeologist since history and exploring is something I find really interesting.
I feel and to some degree know that my condition is keeping me from achieving and doing things I want to, at least for the time being

But for the most part I can live with that, not everyone can achieve their dreams

I would try 24 hours to be an NT.

If this state allows me to reduce anxiety by at least half, plan my life 6 months in advance and finally feel and understand my emotions ... I would make the change without any hesitation. Where do I sign ?

Would likely be in comparison, like some biological family members. Hopelessly superficial, valuing money above all and unable to think independently. Part of a group of people who decide how all should behave, live and act.

Based on the pretense that NTs are for the most part more likely to yield to social norms, I think my life would be what society expects it to be, rather than what I'm trying to make it. So, since I'm a straight female in her 30s, I'd be married with the average number of kids for whichever country I'm living in (2.6 here, so that's 2 kids + 1 kid that lacks a couple of limbs, right?), or single on dating apps wondering why I can't find true love while hanging out in bars. My definition of true love would possibly be guided by physical features, and anyone not meeting them need not apply. Oh, and since I'm mixed coming from a background where the lighter skinned people had the better chances, I'd only be considering White guys, like my cousins are, just to make sure the family doesn't "start going backwards".

I would have a driving licence & buy a house. Possibly with someone I don't even love so much, but it's either that or not having status and the material things that signal "success in life", and 10 years from now, I'd be dealing with a mid-life crisis after realizing that none of this was what I wanted, and wait a minute, what is it I want, actually?

I'm not saying my life is exactly what I want it to be. Far from that. But I do have pride in the fact that most of what I did, I did by choice after careful consideration (and sometimes acting on impulse), not because I thought it would impress my fake friends, or because it was what someone with my characteristics was supposed to be or do. It is a luxury, and it doesn't always pay the bills. But gosh, I feel like I have so much more freedom and freewill than most of the people I've met. And even the mistakes I've made, they weren't as life-altering as the mistakes I've seen NT colleagues make. Sure, they don't have my chronic overthinking and anxiety, but they get severely depressed and anxious on things that don't even make sense to me.

Bottom line, my life would be different. But not necessarily more enviable. Although I wouldn't mind not having superhuman hearing, sometimes.

Last edited:
A very boring person who's more concerned with what other people think as opposed to what I want to do. I'd probably be a single woman on welfare with at least three kids with different fathers because I believed their lies about how they would stay with me forever I would have slept with them in the first place because I wanted them to like me. I probably would have believed children would have brought us together but instead, I would just get left having to clean up the mess he made. I'd also probably would be susceptible to peer pressure and have a drug problem as a result. I'd be too worried about what everyone else thought of me before I even bothered with what I thought of myself.

Last edited:
I love reading all your posts to get more insight on Asperger's Autism, (Non Aspie here) (carer Best friend for one) haven't been on for awhile. Its interesting to read other peoples thoughts...cheers :)

I've often thought about what profession I'd choose if I wasn't Autistic. I'm a successful office worker but if not for my Autism I've often wondered what my profession would be. I've often thought maybe I'd be an electrician. Even with my Autism I can still change a light bulb so that's good right? LOL.

I'd perhaps have been able to apply myself in a more practical way.

Doing one thought after another,consistently.

Rather than a thousand at once.

Alright, probably about 217. Thousand is over egging the pudding.

It saddens me to read some degrading comments about NT. We are all part of a whole and this diversity brings a lot to society. It would be sad to despise the differences since even between us aspies the gaps are impressive.

My 2 cents :hibiscus:

New Threads

Top Bottom