• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

idk how to stim anymore

touchofthetism

Hello
I have been masking my autistic traits for so long that i have forgotten how to stim. This causes me to suffer from burnout . Does anyone know how to unmask and start stimming again ?
I dont remember most of my childhood so i dont know how i used to self regulate back then. All I remember is drawing a lot as a form of stimming ( doodling for example) and sometimes humming ,which other people found very annoying. Other than that i also purchased a few figdet toys but i dont use them much they collect dust in my room.

"Unmasking Autism" by Dr Devon Price.

A good starting point as any. Read more, learn more, embrace your authentic self.

Ed

As far as stims go, I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey. But I turned myself around.

Ashamed, but also pleased to find a place to use that horrible Dad joke.

;)

Hello
I have been masking my autistic traits for so long that i have forgotten how to stim. This causes me to suffer from burnout . Does anyone know how to unmask and start stimming again ?
I dont remember most of my childhood so i dont know how i used to self regulate back then. All I remember is drawing a lot as a form of stimming ( doodling for example) and sometimes humming ,which other people found very annoying. Other than that i also purchased a few figdet toys but i dont use them much they collect dust in my room.
Hi @touchofthetism, glad you posted. Sometimes if you Google it, I’ve run into various blog posts by those returning to it as an adult.

I didn’t really know what autism was until last fall. When I began learning about stimming I realized I did it a lot of it unconsciously. For example, eating popcorn one by one in front of the tv (stopped that), or eating something crunchy on purpose because it helped my focus (stopped that, too—trying to lose weight), or chewing gum (yep, stopped that—bad for my fillings). Just to say, it might be useful to you to take inventory of what repetitive activities you already do yet may not be conscientiously aware of, so that you can recognize them better in the moment.

By the way, I replaced anything associated with weight gain with using a fidget, and I’ve accepted that I do feel better while rocking. I have years of being trained to not disturb people by not moving so deciding to accept it as okay and beneficial is huge for me. (I did stim and rock before, but usually I was so upset that I couldn’t control it. It probably helped that I didn’t know it was stimming at the time.) Besides, my waistline appreciates the change. You just might want to see what is beneficial and calming to you now, or ask family you trust to tell you what they remember.

New Threads

Top Bottom