• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideal Vacation for Auties/Aspies?

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
I had a coworker who took his family to Disneyworld several years ago for a vacation. Anyone that has been there (or Disneyland) knows that it takes quite a bit of money to enjoy a vacation at Disneyworld. My coworker has a son who is on the spectrum, but they did not take into consideration the sensory overload.

Unfortunately, the little guy had a meltdown and stopped speaking for the remainder of the day. They returned to their hotel room and their very expensive vacation was cut short, as they returned to their home two days later without finishing their Disney vacation.

So, should they have researched it before going there? What do you think an ideal vacation would be for one on the spectrum? Since the spectrum is so vast, what types of vacation possibilities could be considered for the various points on the spectrum?

Last edited:
Tough question. Especially since we're all different to some extent. I suppose ultimately it all depends on the ability for us to manage our own sensory issues. If you're not too good at it, it's probably not advisable to visit much of any tourist attraction that involves substantial number of people and all the sound it can generate.

I tolerate Disneyland very well. For me it's such a positive vibe and a unique environment that the crowds and all the noises don't usually get to me. Unlike most trips to the mall. A place I'd rather not be. For me that "positive factor" may well be critical for it all to work out. Much like going to Fry's Electronics. So many people in a crowded space under the same roof. Yet it's also "geek heaven" to me. Though on occasion close to being an overload at times.

Yeah, I like nature too. Especially in a more quiet setting with very few people. But indeed, at times you may have to share it with coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, quail and even rattlesnakes. LOL...I draw that line with bears and raccoons. Preferring not to be in close proximity with them or their cubs- ever.

Last edited:
The Disney experience is exhausting for anyone, and the cost is outrageous. A vacation should have a combination of rest and entertainment. Everyone's version of entertainment is different, but rest can be appreciated by anyone. With a little bit of research, you can find a full facility spa/hotel (also not cheap) with aquatic activities and at least one restaurant. Nearby, there could be hiking trails, historic sites and museums, alternative style restaurants, shopping boutiques, and even some kind of small amusement park with rides and games. Each choice of activity would be easy to get to and easy to leave from, based on moods and weather. To me this is wholesome fun and it offers the excitement and relaxation a vacation should promise. Imagine how great it would feel going home to a spa at the end of a day.

Go to a small motel with a really nice pool.
Fishing beside a lake.
Short hike in the nearest wilderness area.
Rent a cabin and have a campfire.
Visit an animal rescue farm. Or petting zoo.

Basically, scrap all amusement parks and fairs altogether.

The last time I went to the State Fair, I was overwhelmed by all the sounds, lights, and people. There was too much going on for me to process. My brain was emulating a 10-year-old PC trying to run Arma 3 at ultra settings in the middle of a huge gunfight.

Also, do not go to the beach at all. Beaches are often overcrowded.

Basically, if a vacation spot is crowded full of people, do NOT go there. Instead of going to the beach, go more in-land to the countryside, where there is less people there. Heck, if you can afford, you can even purchase a cabin in the country side as a vacation home.

The countryside provides for a good mixture of both relaxation and entertainment than a beach does. At the beach all you could do is swim, sunbath, and read a book. In the countryside, you can fish, hunt, swim in a lake or pond, go for a hike, go to a shooting range (both for firearms and bows), read a book, and some cabins available for rental have a sort of game table in them, too.

All of the stuff you can do in the countryside are easily enjoyed by people with autism/Asperger's.

The last vacation I took was a cruise and I rather enjoyed it. It's surprisingly easy to find places on a cruise ship where you can be alone when you need/want to be. I found cruises to have a large variety of activities from quiet to louder.

My wife and I have had a lot of fun exploring in the back country this summer. We went in our Jeep. We always stick to established roads and trails, but some times they are very bad. Sometimes we follow one of our sons around, but other than that there is nobody else. My idea of a perfect vacation would be to spend a week or so on the trail.

I've never been to Disney so I can't relate, but the comment about malls I CAN! I hate malls with a passion. I had to take my daughter to a large one several weeks ago & almost lost it. Very irritated the whole time. So we left as soon as we could...

Interesting, because my last visit to Disneyworld was like your description of going to the mall.

Interesting. I've never been to Disney World in Florida. Just Disneyland in Anaheim, Ca.- many times.

Not really sure I'd want to, either. Multiple amusement parks in such close proximity, not to mention the crowds, traffic and humidity. Disneyland in Orlando on steroids? Though I haven't been back since they opened up the "California" theme park adjacent to Disneyland in Anaheim. Might indeed be a bit too much even for me.

All of the stuff you can do in the countryside are easily enjoyed by people with autism/Asperger's

That's quite a generalisation!
My wife and I like small towns with some history behind them, maybe a castle or some Roman ruins. Museums and art galleries are always enjoyable. Artisan or craft markets/shops selling odd knick knacks are nice. We're also suckers for old fashioned British seaside towns like Blackpool and Brighton, but enjoy them best in the mornings and evenings when they're less crowded.

I like visiting the RL Disneyland. My Lifelong History special interest, is a factor. Medieval being a particularly favorite period

v4k10gl888sz.jpg

A place that feeds your special interest. I WILL see the Troy regardless of the sensory issues, goof troubles, sleep issues, and so forth, so help me Homer.

Just returned from a short vacation that had both ends of the spectrum.

Flew to Las Vegas to rent a car to drive to Cedar City Utah, where my cousin has a townhome they rent out. After walking around Las Vegas for half a day, it was off to the beauty of Zion National Park and Cedar Breaks National Monument.

Geology is a special interest of mine, so the hiking was phenomenal, and I really enjoyed the small town we stayed in.

Las Vegas wasn't as bad as I feared, though I really can't understand the appeal. I suspect half of the people there feel the same way but are afraid to admit it. We were only there in early afternoon, when things are pretty tame. I think being there at night would be a nightmare.

An ideal vacation? I think my best one was taking a small craft building course at the School of Wooden Boatbuilding. It was two weeks long, I stayed in the nearly empty dorm house, cooked my own meals, worked in the boat shop all day and paddled kayaks in the bay every evening. Built an awesome kayak, too.

There are tons of nice jeeps near Silverton, CO. I did some hiking and backing there a few months ago.

My wife and I have had a lot of fun exploring in the back country this summer. We went in our Jeep. We always stick to established roads and trails, but some times they are very bad. Sometimes we follow one of our sons around, but other than that there is nobody else. My idea of a perfect vacation would be to spend a week or so on the trail.

Have been to Disneyworld in Orlando many times and always found it best to go in the off season, like October or November (not on a holiday weekend). Sometimes it's not crowded at all in those months and it's not so hot at that time of year. Probably early morning would be the quietest for those on the spectrum. But this information is a bit old- haven't been in at least 15 years. A drive through any of our western states would be awesome. Could stop at Indian reservations and see the crafts and art they have. Don't even have to go to one of the national parks to get great scenery- almost anywhere in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho , Colorado, Montana is gorgeous.

Have been to Disneyworld in Orlando many times and always found it best to go in the off season, like October or November (not on a holiday weekend). Sometimes it's not crowded at all in those months and it's not so hot at that time of year. Probably early morning would be the quietest for those on the spectrum. But this information is a bit old- haven't been in at least 15 years. A drive through any of our western states would be awesome. Could stop at Indian reservations and see the crafts and art they have. Don't even have to go to one of the national parks to get great scenery- almost anywhere in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho , Colorado, Montana is gorgeous.
Having lived in Arizona myself for 5 years, I can attest to the beauty of the high desert. You certainly don't have to go to a national park to enjoy it. There are several beautiful national forests which will provide as much solitude as you want.

A place that feeds your special interest. I WILL see the Troy regardless of the sensory issues, goof troubles, sleep issues, and so forth, so help me Homer.

Definitely do it! Turkey might be quite reasonable to do money wise these days. And if you are single, as an added benefit, Turkish women are one of the world's best kept secrets. Beautiful, intellectual, but well grounded.

Asl-Tando.jpg

Lately I head out to the Canadian prairies, this was a spot on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere, literally, in this case the Sweetgrass Hills across a field in Montana

Sweetgrass Hills 01.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom