• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I was held back.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I was told I was held back yesterday. I have to attend the fall semester to graduate. It makes me feel upset. I do not like anyone at school so the fact that next year will have physical classes due to decreasing cases of COVID means I have to suffer for months. It's so unfair...

People tell me to not give up on life but people who get held back are major losers. Name one rich guy who got held back. So embarassing.

Oh my, there are hundreds of people who endured the vicissitudes of fate and fortune and kept going.

Caesar was taken hostage and lost a lot of time.

Cicero was banished, lost his wife and her baby, had his house torn down,

Augustus was considered a playboy, messing with philosophy when the "real" men were at war,

Marius and Sulla were up and down so often it is dizzying to read.

Hannibal Barca lost an eye, suffered several very serious wounds and came back to batter the Romans (for a long while) and even when he lost (Punic II) he still kept at it, not giving up till much later when he was totally surrounded and about to get captured.

Scipio Africanus was up on extortion charges AFTER helping win Punic II.

Alexander the Great sustained a headwound, very serious and lung injury.

Good lord, I could go on, but read Plutarch's Lives or Suetonius or Tacitus to learn that these guys simply NEVER GAVE UP. So what if you were held back.

These guys had the same brains and the same emotions. And don't think they were all rich and famous and destined to win. They endured freezing winds and sleet and injuries with very little pain control and were apart from families and had to procure food where ever they could, no just ordering it and having gvts pay for it, they had troops to govern and allies turning and things to stress them into oblivion. They had no easier lives than we had.

Don't give up You are NOT ruined!! This is not to belittle your feelings, but maybe to inspire you to see you can go on.

You just need to re-focus. :)

Blame covid. It's definitely made effective teaching and learning much harder. Sorry you are up against this.

People tell me to not give up on life but people who get held back are major losers. Name one rich guy who got held back. So embarassing.

Believe me, this one will only matter WHILE you're actually still in school (and even then it's ephemeral).

The moment you graduate, nobody will care, nobody will remember, and frankly most people who go to X school will forget each other entirely. They all say they wont. But they will. THEY WILL.

It's an odd phenomenon, that those in school make a big huge deal of so many social things, acting as if it's the end of the world for them if X happens, and then graduation happens, aaaaaaaaand it's gone. All of it, just gone. All the social links, all the social standing, so many "friendships", all those cliques and groups... POOF, gone.

In other words, dont make a mountain out of a molehill. Who gives a fart what a bunch of morons think of you? Particularly when they'll be out of your life so soon.

EDIT: As for the mega rich guys, frankly, most of them are shady people who cheat at everything. Keep that in mind too.

Your not seeing it now, but who knows you may end up being happier and just don’t know it yet! I don’t like change either, and yeah going back after this long at home isn’t going to be easy no matter what class your in.

The older you get, the less this will matter. Look for the good, I honestly think you may be worrying about something that really isn’t going to happen. It’s normal to be embarrassed, gosh I’ve been fired from lots of jobs but got a much better one after!

Nobody is going to remember what grade you were in before, and you may find your not alone. You can easily brush it off like @Thinx said and blame it on covid and crazy times!

I really don’t think you need to worry at all and do believe you may be happier in the end. Something like this happened to me in school years ago and I ended up loving it - liked the people much better too!

EDIT: As for the mega rich guys, frankly, most of them are shady people who cheat at everything. Keep that in mind too.
I was mostly referring to people who become rich and famous in adulthood. None of them was held back I bet unless they dropped out altogether.

My brother had to repeat kindergarten. I am convinced he was autistic, as is most of the rest of the family. Well, he eventually got a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and spent most of his adulthood employed in elite think tanks. Not rich and famous, but did all right for a kid who flunked kindergarten!

I was mostly referring to people who become rich and famous in adulthood. None of them was held back I bet unless they dropped out altogether.

For someone like that though, getting held back simply doesnt matter... that's part of the point and part of what @OkRad was getting at.

Whether or not someone like that gets held back or suffers some other big screwup matters little if future plans succeed, including those based on things learned BECAUSE of a previous screwup.

Something I learned from far too many years of competitive gaming is that you can learn and improve far, far more from defeat than from a victory. But ONLY if you dont let that defeat stop you in your tracks. After all, if you hit a point and go "I cant do this, I'm screwed" then you're right: You indeed cannot do it and you are screwed, as you have just given up. If you say "heck with it" and just keep going ANYWAY, well... that's what is necessary to reach high levels of... well, anything.

Considering what the wild world of big business is REALLY like, those who are at the highest tiers all have had to deal with setbacks that are WAY bigger than "being held back", which to them at this point would be considered a walk in the park.

You think it's a huge deal now. You wont, a few years down the line. Unless, of course, you allow it to consume you. Best not to, I think.

What everyone else said... It's only human to worry about things like this (I do sometimes too), but in the long run life has a way of working all these things out...

And there are lots of cancelled plans since Covid started, you are not alone in this...

Ok guys I feel a little better now. I hope I can survive the Vietnam war the fall semester.

Its ok. Really. All those ppl you went to class with, woosh like a flushing toilet. New crowd? Eh? It wont be a problem. Soon now. Then it all changes. See after you meet the obligation like seroiusly 12 weeks or something? Ive had vacations that lasted longer. 20 weeks? Thats like a timeshare rental agreement. Ez breezy

College is ..... well it costs more. Harder too. Party ppl and bullies and other non acedemics, just .fade. away. No drama. No pranks. No fights. No wierd jackets. Most ppl ride a bike or the bus or both...

Last edited:
Whether or not it is fair is irrelevant. Facts are facts.

Stay in school!

I really believe in you! I have an aspie daughter who is a junior in HS. She takes longer to learn things, but when she does, she learns it with such a richness and really absorbs the knowledge more than other people.

The more education you get, the better off you are later in life, and studies show that if you go to college, your kids will too! It's the best hedge against intergenerational poverty. I really, really believe in you.

So just suck it up. It's one more semester. Graduate next Winter. Start at community college in the spring, and achieve your dreams!

I know you can do this! I am so excited for you. You can do this.

Last edited:
My sister also had to repeat kinder garden fellow aspie has masters degree still bothers her.
Aww, that's too bad. I don't know how my brother feels about it now, we haven't spoken of it in 60 years. I think my mother managed to make him feel ok about it, but she was furious with the flunking teacher, mentioning that she says "ain't" and other substandard English.

Believe me, this one will only matter WHILE you're actually still in school (and even then it's ephemeral).

The moment you graduate, nobody will care, nobody will remember, and frankly most people who go to X school will forget each other entirely. They all say they wont. But they will. THEY WILL.

It's an odd phenomenon, that those in school make a big huge deal of so many social things, acting as if it's the end of the world for them if X happens, and then graduation happens, aaaaaaaaand it's gone. All of it, just gone. All the social links, all the social standing, so many "friendships", all those cliques and groups... POOF, gone.

In other words, dont make a mountain out of a molehill. Who gives a fart what a bunch of morons think of you? Particularly when they'll be out of your life so soon.

"aaaaaaaaand it's gone."

Love the South Park plug!
:p;):cool:

What state are you in, assuming you're in the US?

If your parents would support you, and if you're in a certain state, you'd be eligible to transfer to a dedicated online school where the staff know how to use the software already and all the staff and students are used to a cyber environment. With that kind of support, you could thrive. They've had these schools pre-pandemic, and it's part of your family's tax dollars, but it is only in certain US states.

New Threads

Top Bottom