• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I tried something different...

Luca

V.I.P Member
I'm always really nervous to post my artwork because I'm scared someone will say something mean or overly critical, but here goes...
I used a stock image as the background (made sure it wasn't copyrighted or anything, it was being offered as a stock image) and layered a photo of me and my dog over it, then colored over and outlined the layer, then removed it...
I wanted the colors and shapes and lines to be really colorblock-y and basic, so this design was completely intentional.
I think it looks pretty damn cool. I'm really proud of this one, even though I was up working on it since 3am...

In retrospect, the brown pants may not have been such a good idea, oh well. I'm not looking for a critique though so I'll deal with any errors myself.

forest_autumn_108_by_nalina24_devappn-fullview.jpg

This is truly fantastic! What a great mix of real and unreal in such a complicated way, with stunning visual results.

I love the look on yours and Enzo‘s faces, too – there’s so much happening in this awesome picture – I’m glad you shared, Luca, because it is very cool art.

Looks like a still from a cartoon or a student film, something really cool that is obscure but worth searching out. The background was a great idea and you are better at art than you say. Nice work!

I agree with both previous, the background and foreground both suit each other, the pose a great choice for; the contrast between the art style and definition in the photo compliment each other quite well.. and yes, the brown pants should probably be less similar to the background and I believe a bit of leg of yours escaped conversion underneath Enzo though it doesn’t stand out..
Overall I like it, it’s a very fitting combination and becomes a very interesting art piece, kind of inspires me to want to try to learn some digital art techniques.
Good work!

I like it. Mixed media has a long history in naive and fine arts. Locally, a fabric artist and her husband photographer collaborated on a large, linear work of a forest scene that started out as a photo and moving left to right more visual elements were replaced with fabric until it was totally fabric. A stunning presentation. I have a mixed media piece whose central element is ledger art by Lakota artist, Jim Yellowhawk.

Wow, my kind of artwork! I love out of the ordinary art. It makes one want to keep exploring the whole picture.

Bravo for taking the courage to post and thank you also.

@Luca,
I was looking at your picture again and thinking that it looks like you and Enzo stepped off the pages of a comic book into a real forest – like you knew it was coming, but Enzo is looking around a little bit kind of curious. I have this whole story forming in my head of you, the comic hero, with your sidekick, on a new adventure into something called realism.

It's super interesting that you and Enzo are so identifiable. He still is a great dog even in cartoon form. And l like that he is directly looking at us. Was it intentional to not show his paws? Was it a composition decision? Myself, l am very interested in composition elements, placement, flow, which l believe you accomplished very nicely here.

It has an Andy Warhol feel about it. Can you change out the tree colors? How fun, now you having me totally engrossed. Great art inspires, and YOU did that with us.

I'm always really nervous to post my artwork because I'm scared someone will say something mean or overly critical, but here goes...
I used a stock image as the background (made sure it wasn't copyrighted or anything, it was being offered as a stock image) and layered a photo of me and my dog over it, then colored over and outlined the layer, then removed it...
I wanted the colors and shapes and lines to be really colorblock-y and basic, so this design was completely intentional.
I think it looks pretty damn cool. I'm really proud of this one, even though I was up working on it since 3am...

In retrospect, the brown pants may not have been such a good idea, oh well. I'm not looking for a critique though so I'll deal with any errors myself.

View attachment 83110
That's freakin' cool! Nice work. I look forward to you sharing more!

Yep. It's fun to experiment with different types of media and all the filters one can apply with various applications to alter images. :cool:

View attachment 83110
You're really good at drawing dogs, that's where your passion shines through :)

Great picture! Very effective, your expression in the pic is interesting, sort of confident yet a bit uncertain or shy too. Nice atmosphere to the setting.

I was just thinking about this and I think you are onto something. Using a normal picture as a background with a drawing on top made a big difference.

I like the style and composition - it reminds me of Scooby Doo, and the backdrop photo has a very PNW aura to it.

I've seen some comics where there's a primarily drawn characters with some real pictures or stills (sometimes blurred for effect) mixed in, but it's not often that one sees drawn characters inserted into real pictures.

Thank you so much for the replies and feedback everyone!!!

I'm really relieved that the reaction was (overwhelmingly!) positive, although yeah, I do realize the brown pants were not a great choice. I was originally going to do a camo pattern (like a couple of actual pairs of pants I have for outdoor activities) but that would've been even worse lol! I might recolor them but I would make them jeans, I think. That's the only thing I would really change though (aside from fixing my leg. Lol)

I'm really happy that everyone liked the style and the design, since this was my first time attempting something like this. It took me approximately 3. 5 hours lol.

I might eventually try painting something like this on a canvas. Like get a print of a photo I took or of a stock background on a canvas, and paint a portrait over the background.
I had seen some art like this online and thought it was a cool idea, so I attempted it, and I'm mostly pleased with the results. Glad you guys were, too! :)

@Aspychata - Yes, the composition was intentional, and the reason I didn't show his paws is that they were not visible in the photograph I drew from. I also kind of wanted to make us look like we were standing on a hill/incline, if that makes sense?

And @Jeepcarpenter Yeah, I messed up on my leg a little bit lol, but I think I'm going to go back in and edit this again at some point and fix any mistakes I made. Thank you for being honest while still being polite :)

Thank you so much for the replies and feedback everyone!!!

I'm really relieved that the reaction was (overwhelmingly!) positive, although yeah, I do realize the brown pants were not a great choice. I was originally going to do a camo pattern (like a couple of actual pairs of pants I have for outdoor activities) but that would've been even worse lol! I might recolor them but I would make them jeans, I think. That's the only thing I would really change though (aside from fixing my leg. Lol)

I'm really happy that everyone liked the style and the design, since this was my first time attempting something like this. It took me approximately 3. 5 hours lol.

I might eventually try painting something like this on a canvas. Like get a print of a photo I took or of a stock background on a canvas, and paint a portrait over the background.
I had seen some art like this online and thought it was a cool idea, so I attempted it, and I'm mostly pleased with the results. Glad you guys were, too! :)

@Aspychata - Yes, the composition was intentional, and the reason I didn't show his paws is that they were not visible in the photograph I drew from. I also kind of wanted to make us look like we were standing on a hill/incline, if that makes sense?

And @Jeepcarpenter Yeah, I messed up on my leg a little bit lol, but I think I'm going to go back in and edit this again at some point and fix any mistakes I made. Thank you for being honest while still being polite :)

That's what l was thinking, the incline is really nice and by not showing his paws , it looks good.

New Threads

Top Bottom