• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I'm on the autism spectrum

My friend got diagnosed with ADHD. I started researching neurodivergence so I could understand him better. During my research, I came across ASD. I realised that I identify with signs like Echolalia, stimming, sensory overloads, and keeping to routine. When I talk to people, it’s like I’m following a set of rules. Everyone knew those rules, but I had to learn them the hard way (I was bullied).

Sometimes, if I get really stressed, my ability to speak reduces until I can’t even be bothered to speak (I’m not sure if this is a symptom, I just thought this was worth mentioning).

I thought all of these things were things that everyone experienced but I guess I was wrong. But I think I’m used to hiding these behaviours so well that I feel like I’m faking most of these things. I want to get a diagnosis but my parents had a bad reaction when I brought it up. I don’t know what to do about my parents or myself

You have joined a great forum. Take time to read other posts. There is a lot of supportive members who have already walked down this lonely path and can give you a heads up.

Welcome.

Hi and welcome. I also think you’ve joined a great forum.
Sometimes, if I get really stressed, my ability to speak reduces until I can’t even be bothered to speak
I am very much the same. It turns out there are quite a few here who can relate to this sort of thing. I call it losing my words.

There are some people here who don’t speak at all; they are great writers and have much to offer here.

My friend got diagnosed with ADHD. I started researching neurodivergence so I could understand him better. During my research, I came across ASD. I realised that I identify with signs like Echolalia, stimming, sensory overloads, and keeping to routine. When I talk to people, it’s like I’m following a set of rules. Everyone knew those rules, but I had to learn them the hard way (I was bullied). Sometimes, if I get really stressed, my ability to speak reduces until I can’t even be bothered to speak (I’m not sure if this is a symptom, I just thought this was worth mentioning). I thought all of these things were things that everyone experienced but I guess I was wrong. But I think I’m used to hiding these behaviours so well that I feel like I’m faking most of these things. I want to get a diagnosis but my parents had a bad reaction when I brought it up. I don’t know what to do about my parents or myself
You will find a lot of support here. You will find a lot of discussion here about "masking," which you describe as hiding behaviors and faking it. Tale the Aspy Quiz, it will give you some insight. Many of us (including me) were diagnosed late in life, and spent much of our lives knowing we were different and that there was something wrong without any clue until diagnosis. I, for one, accepted the diagnosis and came to terms with it very quickly, but I am still having problems dealing with the effects of not being diagnosed earlier.

There is an attitude in the general population that says autism=mentally retarded (excuse me "mentally challenged," sorry about that PC nitpickers) or autism=insanity. It is neither, but the perception exists. This seems to me to be one of the biggest problems regarding autism acceptance.

welcome to af.png

Hi and welcome. I hope it will be useful and supportive for you to be here. Your parents may not know much about high functioning autism, and perhaps they see it as a problem or just can't connect it with you? However it sounds difficult for you that they are not on board helping you look into this. You can join in discussions here, which will likely be useful, and ask about any issues that others might be able to help with.

Welcome @hi_i_like_cats I'm guessing you must like cats as much as I do?!

I'm glad you found your way to this forum! I'm sure like I have you will find you really like it here! There's been few places anywhere where I feel like I'm right at home!

I'm sorry that your parents didn't respond well to you talking to them about this :-( At the end of the day it sounds like you have some good reasons to at least consider getting a diagnosis.

I'm in a similar situation, I haven't been diagnosed but I can certainly relate to many of the traits associated with ASD. I may well work up the courage to talk to a professional about this at some point but for now at least I have this wonderful community to talk to :)

I spoke to my Dad a few months ago about how I feel I may have ASD traits. He didn't respond well either :-( I think he probably has a perception that people with ASD can't be high functioning. But I think learning about it has made me feel that finally a pretty significant piece has fallen into place.

It's worth taking some online reputable ASD quizzes as others have recommended. They obviously aren't a diagnosis, but I think that they should help you decide how you want to proceed. At the end of the day, it's your brain, life and experience and there's nothing wrong with finding out :)

Hi, hi_I_like_cats.
I do, too. Nice to meet you.
...Sometimes, if I get really stressed, my ability to speak reduces until I can’t even be bothered to speak (I’m not sure if this is a symptom, I just thought this was worth mentioning).
I don't know if it's a symptom or not but something very similar happens to me. You're not alone in it.

Welcome!

In regards to seeking professional confirmation, is it possible for you to talk to a professional on your own? If you're in school, there might be resources there as well.

Welcome!

In regards to seeking professional confirmation, is it possible for you to talk to a professional on your own? If you're in school, there might be resources there as well.
I asked. But since I'm a minor, I can't get a diagnosis without my parents' consent at school.

New Threads

Top Bottom