• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I have autism and need help to get it investigated

Tobey

Hi everyone!
I'm a 43 year old man from Sweden and I'm sure I have some kind of autism. Since 2013 I use cannabis and it has helped me to feel that life is worth living.

I'm now at risk losing my job after telling my employer about my use of cannabis, which is illegal in Sweden, and I am suspended from work*.
------------
* Update: I need to clarify that doctors, since long, already know about my use of marijuana. And I get a lot of support from my boss who really wants me to keep my job. But the law must be followed.
------------
The fact that I don't have a diagnosis makes the situation extra tricky. And I have been told that I would have to quit cannabis for at least 3 months, maybe even 6 months, before an investigation can begin.

I have promised myself that I will never need to return to the way I felt before 2013 and I would break that promise if I had to stay away from my treatment (cannabis) for such a long time.

One thing I wonder is how the rules looks in countries where cannabis is legal? Do cannabis users need to stop for 3-6 months there too before being investigated for autism?

I really don't know what to do now and I would appreciate any kind of help.

Last edited:
Hi there (Jag är också Svensk ;)) what you need to do is go to youre doc and ask for a Neuro psychiatric diagnos (Ie in Swedish NPD diagnos NOT the international Narcissist ) evaluation. there are a few different certified NPD evaluation teams around depending on were you live . & the BEST thing you can do is to QUIT the cannabis hon cause theres NO medical faculty that will even touch you if you claim you use. :( since its also obvious to me that youre problems seems somewhat urgent or Severe you should be granted speedier referral.

Last edited:
Welcome Tobey to the Asperger's and Autism Community website.

I'm in Canada, where cannabis is recently legal. As far as I know, there is no regulation related to cannabis use that would interfere with an autism diagnosis.

In fact it's surprising that's happened to you. As, people with autism take different types of substances including medications to sleep as well as anti-anxiety medications. The tests for autism would take into account these medications. And some do use medical cannabis.

Last edited:
Hi Tobey

welcome to af.png

Here in the US where I live, my commonwealth has approved medical marijuana usage to treat symptoms of ASDs.

That being said, each employer has the right to refuse you employment if it goes outside of their policies.

I'm unable to offer an opinion on a psych evaluation while under the influence of it.

It's illegal here in N.C., too, but I've never heard of it interfering with diagnosing. Will an autism diagnosis help you keep your job?

Hi there (Jag är också Svensk ;)) what you need to do is go to youre doc and ask for a Neuro psychiatric diagnos (Ie in Swedish NPD diagnos NOT the international Narcissist ) evaluation. there are a few different certified NPD evaluation teams around depending on were you live . & the BEST thing you can do is to QUIT the cannabis hon cause theres NO medical faculty that will even touch you if you claim you use. :( since its also obvious to me that youre problems seems somewhat urgent or Severe you should be granted speedier referral.

Hej Sarah!
Yes it is a very tough situation in Sweden for cannabis users. I'm trying to realize that I will probably lose my job. But I am going to fight as long as i can. It seems like I would have to quit Cannabis for a least 3 months and that would be mental torture for me. I hope to find a way out of this but right now it is very unclear what it could be.

Welcome Tobey to the Asperger's and Autism Community website.

I'm in Canada, where cannabis is legal. As far as I know, there is no regulation related to cannabis use that would interfere with an autism diagnosis.

In fact it's surprising that's happened to you. As, people with autism take different types of substances including medications to sleep as well as anti-anxiety medications. The tests for autism would take into account these medications. And some do use medical cannabis.

Hi Mia!
The rules in Canada is very interesting for me to know more about. I assume they must have some sort of rules for cannabis users before an autism investigation can be done? I'm thinking that maybe I can quit for a couple of weeks before a diagnosis can be made. But not 3-6 months.

Hi Tobey

View attachment 52425
Here in the US where I live, my commonwealth has approved medical marijuana usage to treat symptoms of ASDs.

That being said, each employer has the right to refuse you employment if it goes outside of their policies.

I'm unable to offer an opinion on a psych evaluation while under the influence of it.

Hi Nitro!
It's interesting to hear that medical marijuana is used to treat ASD-symptoms in the US. I have heard about a man i Sweden with ASD (Asperger) that is allowed to use a medicine with marijuana. But it seems to be extremely difficult to get approved for it. And first I need a diagnosis.

It's illegal here in N.C., too, but I've never heard of it interfering with diagnosing. Will an autism diagnosis help you keep your job?

Hi Pats!
I think that the only chance for me to keep my job is to get an autism diagnosis.

Hej Sarah!
Yes it is a very tough situation in Sweden for cannabis users. I'm trying to realize that I will probably lose my job. But I am going to fight as long as i can. It seems like I would have to quit Cannabis for a least 3 months and that would be mental torture for me. I hope to find a way out of this but right now it is very unclear what it could be.

Hello :)

Yes im afraid youre right on that one and i HIGHLY dought it will be legal over here in a LOOOOONG time and even if they would make the requirements VERY high and i can almost guarantee you that it WONT be for ASD or other NPF (new name apparently on this Neuro psykiatrist funktions hinder ) diagnoses (if you think of it how would you like say a buss driver on LEGAL weed out in the traffic ? Thats just ONE example, and i can guarantee you wont have ANY employer willing to have employees on that either:rolleyes: As for the trying to just stop a few weeks NA they would most probably test you as they alredy know you're on drugs. And as far as i understood this residue of said substance can remain in youre body for a LOOONG time . You NEED to go ser the doc and ask for EMIDIETE help dear theres no cut corners around this facts my friend :( (you do know you risk loosing youre drivers licence IF they find out youre on weed ?)

That really stinks. I think you are in a sort of self medication which is understandable. But under the circumstances I would try and stop the canabis for now and see a doctor about other medications. A lot of us are on meds of one sort or another, for anxiety, depression, etc. I am not sure what the canabis is helping you with but hopefully the doctor can help sort that out. Being on a doctor prescribed med should be more acceptable to your work place perhaps. I was on anti-anxiety meds for half my career in the US Air Force and it wasn't a problem. Tell your employer you have a plan and see if that helps you keep your job. I would say tell them you are off canabis whether true or not except that they may require testing and you don't want to get caught in a lie.

Oh and really I think it best never to tell anyone about your medical conditions or meds unless absolutely necessary. Its nobodies business but your own.

I thought Sweden was ultra liberal? Weird.

Perhaps it might be helpful to the OP to understand the timeline scientifically speaking in terms of just how long THC can potentially remain traceable in one's body. From a more pedantic medical perspective, I can see how doctors in Sweden (and other nations) would want to conclusively rule out such substances in attempting to properly diagnose potential types of autism.

Unfortunately in other nations/states have a far more relaxed approach to medical and even personal use of Marijuana. Where their perspective appears relatively indifferent as to whether THC is detected in the course of assessing a person for forms of autism.

How Long Does Weed Stay in Your System? Blood, Urine, Hair, Saliva

However even with consideration to this "scientific schism", it doesn't change the pedantic requirements of the Swedish medical establishment in the diagnosing of autism of their own citizens.

Perhaps the key issue to focus on here is science- not politics. If anything, this appears to me as just diligence on the part of Swedish science and medicine. I may not politically agree with it, but on a scientific and medical level I can certainly understand their careful and cautious approach.

Here are two professional medical perspectives which reflect a contrast of both a distinct bias against the use of marijuana, and uncertainty for its use in conjunction with ASD:

Is There Science Behind That?: Autism and Treatment with Marijuana

NIH Study Details Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use

In my state (Nevada) both medical and recreational use of Marijuana is legal within the terms and conditions specified under state law. Where no correlation is made between use of such substances and diagnosing for forms of autism.

Though even within the four US states that totally ban Marijuana in any capacity, to my knowledge they wouldn't medically make any correlation of its use in diagnosing forms of autism as well.

Last edited:
We are dear BUT Weed is a BIG NO NO over here

Indeed.

In the case of Sweden, this strikes me more as a case of empiricism rather than cultural or political conservatism. That most global scientific and medical sources at this point in time do not condone the medical or recreational use of Marijuana, particularly on a long-term basis.

Politically I disagree, but on a level of pure logic I can understand such a decision made for the entire populace. Where liberalism and logic don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive of one another.

I live in the Netherlands. As far as I know, around here use of any substance doesn’t interfere with autism diagnosis. When I was diagnosed I wasn’t “clean” and my therapist diagnosed me nonetheless.

Hi everyone!
I'm a 43 year old man from Sweden and I'm sure I have some kind of autism. Since 2013 I use cannabis and it has helped me to feel that life is worth living.

I'm now at risk losing my job after telling my employer about my use of cannabis, which is illegal in Sweden, and I am suspended from work*.
------------
* Update: I need to clarify that doctors, since long, already know about my use of marijuana. And I get a lot of support from my boss who really wants me to keep my job. But the law must be followed.
------------
The fact that I don't have a diagnosis makes the situation extra tricky. And I have been told that I would have to quit cannabis for at least 3 months, maybe even 6 months, before an investigation can begin.

I have promised myself that I will never need to return to the way I felt before 2013 and I would break that promise if I had to stay away from my treatment (cannabis) for such a long time.

One thing I wonder is how the rules looks in countries where cannabis is legal? Do cannabis users need to stop for 3-6 months there too before being investigated for autism?

I really don't know what to do now and I would appreciate any kind of help.

I made an update to clarify my situation.

I live in the Netherlands. As far as I know, around here use of any substance doesn’t interfere with autism diagnosis. When I was diagnosed I wasn’t “clean” and my therapist diagnosed me nonetheless.

Hi Bolletje!
Thank you for this information. There is a very different attitude in Sweden...

That really stinks. I think you are in a sort of self medication which is understandable. But under the circumstances I would try and stop the canabis for now and see a doctor about other medications. A lot of us are on meds of one sort or another, for anxiety, depression, etc. I am not sure what the canabis is helping you with but hopefully the doctor can help sort that out. Being on a doctor prescribed med should be more acceptable to your work place perhaps. I was on anti-anxiety meds for half my career in the US Air Force and it wasn't a problem. Tell your employer you have a plan and see if that helps you keep your job. I would say tell them you are off canabis whether true or not except that they may require testing and you don't want to get caught in a lie.

Oh and really I think it best never to tell anyone about your medical conditions or meds unless absolutely necessary. Its nobodies business but your own.

I thought Sweden was ultra liberal? Weird.

Thank you for your support!

How to tell if you have Autism:

1. Step in an anthill.

2. If ants spew forth and run amok, and you automatically jump away, you're Autistic.

lol. But seriously, a doctor can help you.

I am guessing the justification is that cannabis may change a person's symptom profile (behavior, mood, cognition)....

Of course many prescription medications could affect mood/cognition/behavior, too, and people aren't routinely required to go off of them before having an assessment for developmental or mental health issues....

Thanks to everyone involved here!
As I said earlier I am very interested in more information about the rules in Canada (and other places where it is legal) for cannabis users who wants to know if they have autism. For how long do they need to quit marijuana before the investigation can begin?

As I said earlier I am very interested in more information about the rules in Canada (and other places where it is legal) for cannabis users who wants to know if they have autism. For how long do they need to quit marijuana before the investigation can begin?

Canada legalized cannabis Oct 2018. And are still ironing out the difficulties related to drug tests. After two hours of smoking pot, blood levels of THC decrease by 90 per cent.

Tests only detect Delta 9 THC, which is only present in your system for four to six hours after using, Draeger said.

“The test does not detect metabolites, which is the degradation of THC that can stay in a person’s system for days and weeks,” it said. “Therefore, it is impossible for the device to detect past usage.”

Heavy users – people who have been using large amounts daily for years – might test positive for THC in saliva and blood tests. “In such users, THC metabolites get stored in fatty tissues and are released more slowly over time,” Mark Asbridge, associate professor in Dalhousie University’s department of community health and epidemiology.

According to Mayo Clinic Proceedings, cannabis is detectable in urine for the following amounts of time after last use:

• Occasional users (up to three times a week): 3 days
  • Moderate users (four times a week): 5 to 7 days
  • Chronic users (daily): 10 to 15 days
  • Chronic heavy users (multiple times a day): more than 30 days

Cannabis is typically detectable in the blood for 1 to 2 days. However, in some cases, it’s been detected after 25 days. Chronic heavy use increases the length of time that it can be detected.

Cannabis is detectable in the bloodstream within seconds of inhalation. It’s distributed to the tissues. Some of it is reabsorbed in the blood and broken down. Its metabolites may remain in the bloodstream for days.

According to Mayo Clinic Proceedings, cannabis is detectable in urine for the following amounts of time after last use:

• Occasional users (up to three times a week): 3 days
  • Moderate users (four times a week): 5 to 7 days
  • Chronic users (daily): 10 to 15 days
  • Chronic heavy users (multiple times a day): more than 30 days
Cannabis is typically detectable in the blood for 1 to 2 days. However, in some cases, it’s been detected after 25 days. Chronic heavy use increases the length of time that it can be detected.

Cannabis is detectable in the bloodstream within seconds of inhalation. It’s distributed to the tissues. Some of it is reabsorbed in the blood and broken down. Its metabolites may remain in the bloodstream for days.

I did not know about these facts - thank you! I'm in the category "Chronic users (daily): 10 to 15 days".

New Threads

Top Bottom