• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I plan on having a good day today

Pats

V.I.P Member
My son left a couple black boxes on my desk to plug into my computer. I'm hoping they're videos' from his go pro camera that he recorded our entire trip this past summer. I can relive the trip over and over.
Last June I was invited to go with them out west. I think my daughter in law especially wanted me to go, not only because she knows how much I love it but also thinking my son might stop at more shops and stuff if I was with them. (Which we did. I made him stop at "Top of the World" store on top of Beartooth pass and hit a few stores in my all-time favorite town of West Yellowstone, Mt. and Wall Drug in S.D.) lol And I did reserve two nights in a motel in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for us to spend the day shopping in Jackson Hole. :) But most of our time was in the Dodge Ram truck (my grandsons in a jeep behind us) driving along dirt trails on tops of mountains and stuff - a few times I had to cover my eyes and was like, "oh no no no no no, you can't go up that trail" and off we'd go.
But I got to see parts of places I've always loved from a totally new perspective and see things that most tourists do not get to see. Some nights we got a room, if we had been driving too late and didn't have time to set up a camp site and other nights we'd find a place to camp on one of the trails - not in a campsite. He had stocked up on survival foods and would get water from a nearby creek or spring and filter it or boil it. And I did get a can of bear spray to have for when we camped or was out in grizzly country. (And we did see a mamma grizzly with two cubs, but we remained inside the vehicles.) And I quickly learned to tuck my flared jeans into my socks before squatting to pee. lol
And since my son and grandsons are all Beatles fans, whenever they played music it was almost always Beatles. It was an all around perfect trip. It was hard but so worth it. Everywhere out there is much higher altitude than here and the air is much thinner so it was hard to breathe at times, especially on tops of the mountains and a lot of dizziness and lightheadedness, but I just let them do most the work. But I loved being the first to wake up and grabbing my camera and just walking around enjoying the breathtaking views. But my favorite camping spot was absolutely in middle of nowhere in the northeast corner of Utah. Nothing for an hour or more in any direction. It was an abandoned mining town with a couple falling down tiny one room cabins and a small one room home built into the side of the hill and the mine itself. Otherwise just sagebrush, and possibly some rattlesnakes and mountain lions, but we didn't see any of those. But sitting around the camp fires at night and hearing nothing but each other talk and the big sky as a ceiling. Cold at night, which I can deal with the cold much better than hot. Those nights were 20 times more memorable than the nights in motels.
I do think my daughter in law had a hard time sometimes, because other than her, this group was a very quiet group (all take that from my side of the family while her side is loud and non stop talking over each other) so she wasn't used to so much quiet. One night she started playing a book on tape because the silence was driving her nuts, and finally we all made her turn it off.

Anyhow I'm going to make myself go out and get a few things that I HAVE to get before I start watching, because I know once I start I'm not going to leave it because out west is where my heart will always be.

When I finally move to my land in Jefferson (what is today far north California) I expect it to be just as wonderful. It's in a little valley most people don't know about, and most of the residents are cows. There are a few cabins on bluffs above the Klamath River and Iron Gate Lake (they will tear out the dam in a few years, so no more lake, just a deep canyon) but I'm not in that area, I'm near the top of the valley. I have to save money to build a cabin since I'm not eligible for a loan, so maybe 18 months from now. I may go to Yreka once a week to wash clothes and get my snail mail, and up over the pass to Medford once a month to buy stuff at Costco like paper towels, kleenexes, and bathroom wipes. Other than that, just me, my chickens and turkeys, and some cows in spring. I think that aspies are really meant for country living, cities seem to make a lot of us go into meltdown. "Bachelor farmers" pop up again and again in records of early settlements in what is now the USA, a lot of people claim they were gays but I doubt it, they seem more like auties to me.

In WV we call those type adventures in our Dodge Ram truck Booneybouncing! I just knew you'd like camping. That was a mega camping trip. I'd be jealous if it weren't for the cold nights. We do better in hot.

New Threads

Top Bottom