1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured I need a wheelchair

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by SteveNomad, Jun 22, 2020.

1. SteveNomad

SteveNomad Well-Known Member

...I'm 3, 250 miles away from PDX now, in New York State.
    I'd also have to have a new copy of .y birth certificate.

2. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

All right! So you got home? I'm so happy. Last I heard you were stuck at Good Sam hospital.

3. SteveNomad

...Yes, I did spell that out in other post/s, but I guess you didn't see that. Now I'm here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. grommet

grommet Well-Known Member

I have been using a wheelchair for 25 years. I always thought I was the only wheelchair user on the site.

5. Yeshuasdaughter

Well then, here's a funny story to make you feel better:

Just the other day, I was in my power chair, when suddenly the sidewalk ended, and there was a steep drop off, so I veered right and turned up the speed to full blast. I sped right through someone's front lawn screaming "I AM SO SORRY! THE SIDEWALK ENDED!!!"

When I looked back, I had left deep ruts in their yard. I feel so guilty!

And to make it worse, my sixteen year old who was with me on their Razor scooter thought it'd be hillarious to follow me and plow through their lawn too. I feel so bad about it, but looking back, it is a funny wheelchair memory!

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Yeshuasdaughter

How about when they put a wheelchair accessable ramp onto a sidewalk, but it's super narrow, and there are poles right in the middle of the sidewalk, so you're stranded there? That's happened too. lol

Thank goodness a bus driver found me, and picked me up so that I could go home. lol

7. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

The real question is, who here is good at popping wheelies?

8. Yeshuasdaughter

That is something I desperately try to avoid because if and when I pop wheelies I end up lying on my back lol.

But my chair goes 4.5 mph and can travel 11 miles a day. It's a blue Jazzy 614 HD.

Let's hear other people's power chair specs... How fast, how far, what brand? Any accesories?

9. grommet

That made me smile big. Still smiling. I think what you said was nice. True too, that happens all the time.

I am using a manual chair now most of the time but I used a powerchair for years. One reason I try to use the manual is because of access problems. With my manual I can go on and off the sidewalk. I was trapped many times in a powerchair. My current powerchair is a Permobil F3. It's the best one I've owned, the quality and design are like havin ga Mercedes. But, it is front wheel drive and I do not want that ever again, too hard to turn in small spaces.

Current manual is a Tilite TR2. The chair I was using broke a few days ago and I pulled this one from storage but my new Tilite TRA is being built and I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the story

• Like Like x 2
  10. grommet

The highest curb I've come off is 9 inches and that is big. I can pull myself up one just as high or maybe higher. I worked very hard to learn those skills. One day the elevators were not working and I had to go down four flights of stairs in my manual chair. What happened that day is the reason I practiced so much, so I would be ready.

• Like Like x 1
  11. grommet

Chairs in reverse order:

Powerchairs:
    Permobil F3
    Invacare TDX-SP
    Quickie S626
    Quickie P200
    Everest & Jennings Lancer

Manual chairs:
    Icon A1
    Tilite TR2
    Top End Super Pro T
    Breezy (folding chair)
    Hospital chair

12. SteveNomad

• ...I don't know how I'd get one:(. Since at least 2018, maybe 2017, I've thought that ai need a cozy place with a nice big bed and decent somewhere to sit and read and a TV, computer, etc. I have all these books etc. I mostly bought in 2018 in storage in Santa Cruz and the idea is that, along with the stuff from my brother, they would be my collection. I'd watch "am, etc. I just have had a life of having NOTHING/only what I can c carry/stow briefly basically continuous my for so long:cry:. And after the collapse of my older walking ability and having back pain after 2015 or so:relieved:. I think, with a combination of Social Services being nice to me and that money that " Gale Gordon " holds I could set something up - but nothing happened in San Francisco, Santa Cruz or Portland/area - in the last, still further physical degeneration, the Covid situation, and the theft of my wallet - Which some do not believe me on:disappointed: - all happened. I came here to New York on the " If it's my last chance " theory, and if dialysis will stick me forever in one place, my home town area, with memories and the grave of my parents + my brother that all these years since "97, I was never able to visit + presumably Social Services being a little fonder of a genuine local boy - but, it's very expensive and dullsville and spread out, with me now having spent too much on taxis public transportation maybe so-so (I haven't driven in many years) - and I wonder if there's an East Coast mindset that is more oriented toward thinking that someone like me should have assisted living, or something, which I don't want, with the West Coast more oriented towards people like me being officially independent with maybe just a caregiver a couple times a week. I'd want that.

13. SteveNomad

...Now, June 25, I have been in the hospital since Monday. Staff at the shelter I was at thought I should go because of swollen, red, waking pain legs particularly right. I was kept in to see about infection/abscess? in my leg and dead flesh on my right foot needing debriedment, and possible infection, I'll have a small operation later to-day. I left behind my roommate room in the shelter and my stuff, including a $200+ Netbook I'd got - but not really having figured out how to get it going yet. In the shelter I went not enough to the dialysis, went out trying to set things up, spent too much on taxi rides back. as I'd be tired & late & overloaded by the end. Taxi rides to that shelter from downtown White Plains to it have been base $14.

14. SteveNomad

...With no perscription glasses (and, quite likely, a need for a major eye operation, but I won't go into that now) I strain my eyes trying to read even this phone - and I cannot rely read " normal " text in print form without SUPER-bright sunlight or its direct electric equivalent on me:sweat:. If I only had a comfortable place with my in-storage stuff and good lighting and furniture:coldsweat:. I waa, finally, a day or two away from going to a place that had perescription glasses but then this hospital stay got in the way. Anywhere else in the USA might be cheaper, but, how would I get there? What would I do once I got there? There's the factor that a lot of the US is getting worse on COVID now, not better.

15. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

I remember you writing as far back as Feb 2015 that it had been years since you last had prescription eyeglasses.

16. SteveNomad

...Now, I am in the hospital again, and to-day I received an operation, debriedment of rxcrds flesh on my right foot and digging out an abscess in my leg.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Yeshuasdaughter

If you have medicaid, push that you need a wheelchair to the doc. Tell them that you need a power chair because of weakness, overweight, hilly neighborhood, etc. You'll probably get it for free. It'll take a few weeks, and you'll prob get a loaner chair or walker during that time, and that can take a couple weeks on its own, but be patient. You'll end up with one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jumpback

Jumpback Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SteveNomad

...Would a power chat have some kind of basket space? So I can carry things. Perhaps not as much as the ones at Target or K-Mart, but...

20. Yeshuasdaughter

They sell those as accessories, but they're expensive. Just throw a tote bag in your lap and call it good.