• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need a wheelchair

SteveNomad

I think I do need a wheelchair, an electric wheelchair/cart with some kind of basket/carrying space and do much, though not all, of my walking with it. Of course, I'd really have to have a place to do so:relaxed:.
I just walk so painfully slow at times, so crippled am I:(. It can take me forty-five minutes or so to walk three blocks. My legs, now, often hurt a lot from being strained. I had thought I would try to get an apartment of some sort from Social Services and supplement living with that money, handled by the " Gale Gordon " lawyer I mentioned, to live decently. But, it has not happened yet:(.
I pictured myself bringing in those books. Etc. I have in storage in Santa Cruz and those things from my brother out here and living with them, having a collection of my own at last:cry:.

Do you have crutches? I am part of a chronic pain group and everyone there who's pain effects their ability to walk far prefers them to wheelchair use.

I have a severed ACL and no meniscus in my left knee. I don't use a wheelchair, but I absolutely need a big honking knee brace or else my knee will hyperextend. Probably a different problem than yours, but maybe a brace or two braces would help. Doctors can prescribe them, so if you have some kind of health Insurance, the majority of it will be covered. It could be the same with wheelchairs too.

When I'm not on wheels I wear leg braces. A bit of an inconvenience. But when I think about someone I know who is a C-5 quadriplegic, my physical problems aren't so bad

Do you have medicaid? I was able to get a wheelchair and walker for free this past month.

A scooter or wheelchair can be a great convenience. But there are still plenty of places that are not accessible. They sometimes think they are but there may be a couple of steps between levels or to get in the front door. Or they tell you the accessible entrance is in the alley, but when you get there, that door is locked. Also, these places may think they meet ADA requirements for a public place, but the restroom is just a regular stall with a couple of grab bars added.

A scooter or wheelchair can be a great convenience. But there are still plenty of places that are not accessible. They sometimes think they are but there may be a couple of steps between levels or to get in the front door. Or they tell you the accessible entrance is in the alley, but when you get there, that door is locked. Also, these places may think they meet ADA requirements for a public place, but the restroom is just a regular stall with a couple of grab bars added.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I am a wheelchair user and I totally agree with this.

...Because of swollen leg (shown because I was wearing shorts, which I don't much do) and red - I hear adima, they say cellulitis - the shelter wanted me to go to the hospital, where I was admitted. I hope my place at the shelter and stuff left there are okay, I was supposed to do laundry later that day when the laundry opened, my roommate was complaining my clothes were dirty - I don't have very many clothes and I tend to sweat when in bed, so my bedding - The roommate is black too, I occasionally hear of blacks perceiving a " white person's smell " {I"m white)...it would be nice if somebody did the laundry for me with the detergent I had out but sigh...

...I was told that there is disbelief here regarding the fact that I had my wallet stolen in a shelter in Portland months back. Well, beep you! It was:tearsofjoy:. If it hadn't been.stolen, I might be in or at least waiting for an apartment in Portland right now:disappointed:! My lack of a state ID made that impossible. For all I know, the DMV Hi would have to get a new ID from may still be Corona-closed now:(. I haven't even spoken much of it recently - but some among you think I'm a liar:mad:. Wht don't you have it happen to you?:sleepy:

When I'm not on wheels I wear leg braces. A bit of an inconvenience. But when I think about someone I know who is a C-5 quadriplegic, my physical problems aren't so bad

You seem so rational and intelligent and basically “normal” on here. I think that this is a major issue when discussing things with more Aspies or whatever.

Thanks. But I'm not sure what you are saying.

Because you seem exactly like some very typical but somewhat surprisingly intelligent young person on here.

when there is mentioning of wheelchairs, this is amazingly surprising somehow.

You come across as so basically “normal” that it seems strange that you aren’t an average, but more grounded and rational than normal, young person, that won’t just show up and walk to join the group or whatever

I am not trying to be offensive or sucking up, just saying that you come across as just a very typical, but intelligent, younger person to me.

Last edited:
Because you seem exactly like some very typical but somewhat surprisingly intelligent young person on here.

when there is mentioning of wheelchairs, this is amazingly surprising somehow.

Sorry, but still not getting it. If someone is intelligent they usually start out that way. And I'm close to turing 20 so I'm not a kid any longer. I know 20 year olds who are dads.

I have a severe motor coordination disorder, that is similar to cerebral palsey in the way it affects me. Therefore I have needed to be on wheels all my life when a lot of walking was involved. Although when I was little I was always in a stroller. As an adult for just regular strolls I get by with leg braces and a cane. The cane also helps me maintain equalibrium. That's pretty typical to me. I have known and been around many in a similar situation. Discussed it with them in threads and messaging. I don't see why it would be seen a big deal or whatever.

Sorry, but still not getting it. If someone is intelligent they usually start out that way. And I'm close to turing 20 so I'm not a kid any longer. I know 20 year olds who are dads.

I have a severe motor coordination disorder, that is similar to cerebral palsey in the way it affects me. Therefore I have needed to be on wheels all my life when a lot of walking was involved. Although when I was little I was always in a stroller. As an adult for just regular strolls I get by with leg braces and a cane. The cane also helps me maintain equalibrium. That's pretty typical to me. I have known and been around many in a similar situation. Discussed it with them in threads and messaging. I don't see why it would be seen a big deal or whatever.

I have only been on here about maybe 6 weeks or so. I was very surprised about your age and now I find myself being surprised about your difficulties with typical two legged locomotion or whatever

Just saying, when I first started reading your responses, I guess that I pictured a 30 plus year old guy who is very grounded and must be pretty normal. Like I was thinking how weird I must be compared to you, with my endless pacing and incredible anxiety and bizarre obsessions and bad habits and so on.

There is no secret meaning intended, I just somehow had a very different picture in my head of you when I first started reading your responses.

Last edited:
I have only been on here about maybe 6 weeks or so. I was very surprised about your age and now I find myself being surprised about your difficulties with typical two legged locomotion or whatever

Just saying, when I first started reading your responses, I guess that I pictured a 30 plus year old guy who is very grounded and must be pretty normal. Like I was thinking how weird I must be compared to you, with my endless pacing and incredible anxiety and bizarre obsessions and bad habits and so on.

There is no secret meaning intended, I just somehow had a very different picture in my head of you when I first started reading your responses.

When I started out posting in forums, the way to do it that seemed best to me was to try copying the writing style of favorite authors. I'm a good mimic when it comes to that. But I am a total misfit. I always draw looks when I'm out in public. Not the least bit normal.

...I misread what I was told, it is apparently just one person here who explicitly said they disbelieve regarding the wallet theft.

New Threads

Top Bottom