• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I just came across this article

tryingtoregister

I know this board is generally against the "vaccines can cause autism" stance. I can't say it seems plausible to me either really considering how many kids get the MMR vaccine each year.

New evidence of MMR Link

I wonder what people think of this? Is this researcher just a crackpot or should I take this seriously? JW not trying to advocate anything either way.

Japan did away with the MMR vaccine. After Japan got rid of MMR, diagnosed rates of autism in Japan continued to climb.

I don't have any medical background, so I can't say whether the study has any merit. But I still think that any perceived danger from the MMR vaccine is trifling compared to the harm done by illnesses like measles, mumps, and rubella.

If someone had an abnormal reaction to a (nonthreatening) measles component in a vaccine, might not that person have a far worse reaction to catching actual measles? (something the vaccine prevents)

I do not know how to stop discussion for this topic. It's in the forum's guidelines. I may be too rigid in thinking but what's the point of talking vaccines, when even NT doctors tell me, 'that MMR link is a fraud'.

Isn't it really clear that vaccines do not cause autism, but our unwillingness to work on our strengths to overcome our weaknesses cause issues for us?

Geordie, I don't really see a problem with this thread as of yet, but I'm sure a moderator will address the issue if one arises.

I'm pretty sure autism predates the MMR vaccine, as seen in characters in Classical literature with or modelled on people with autism. Helen Burns, anyone?

I work in the preclinical medical research field, and I know that there is a whole process of peer-review that has to occur before results are accepted and made public. All legitimate researchers know this. However, there are those out there who give research a bad name because they do not follow accepted procedure. Instead, they go directly to the public, who generally are not equipped with the skills and knowledge needed to evaluate such claims. If I recall correctly, the "researcher" who started the whole vaccine-autism craze was later revealed to have falsified his results. I cannot say strongly enough that this is a big, big, big, no-no in my field. I do not know about this newest claim but the fact that it comes from a news link and not a reputable peer-reviewed medical journal makes me very suspicious. Moral of the story, don't take anything you read in the popular news at face value, especially if it comes from only one person.

I don't have any medical background, so I can't say whether the study has any merit. But I still think that any perceived danger from the MMR vaccine is trifling compared to the harm done by illnesses like measles, mumps, and rubella.

Yes, that is correct. There is no scientific evidence that MMR vaccine causes autism. The question about a possible link between MMR vaccine and autism has een extensively reviewed by independent groups of experts in the U.S. including the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine. These reviews have concluded that the available epidemiologic evidence does not support a causal link between MMR vaccine and autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom