1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured I have the worst trigger meltdown ever. No one can top this one.

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Tony Ramirez, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Tony Ramirez

Tony Ramirez Well-Known Member

Really no one hear can top this one as I met no one anywhere on this planet with billions of people with this issue. I was diagnostic with Asperger's when I was about 19 in college after I dropped out.

Anyway backstory when I was a kid I felt different not to get into my life story here but my meltdown trigger is hearing/seeing swearing yes that bad. Well really the F-Word is the only word that triggers a meltdown. Although I don't like the other swear words, S-word I hear it at home it just irritates me. Other swear words again just irritates but the horrible F-Word if I hear it or see more than one I can go into a major meltdown.

Since it is everywhere and I mean everywhere not only do I have this stupid AS but I can't even hear strangers talk and have to use a word profanity filter online and on my phone. When I am forced to go out, therapist, doctors sometimes store I wear in ear headphones and listen to music "at moderate volume" long as the earbuds isolate the sound so I don't hear anyone.

However since taking Prozac 40mg (might increase it soon) after trying many horrible medicines I have been better however I have very little exposure to the F-Word since I don't go out and when I do I wear headphones. So for me I would like to go back to the Church which I liked "had friends lost them" same old but that's another story but I am afraid of my trigger meltdown.

Good news had no real meltdown since taking Prozac for about three years. So I know all you have issues but try living with that one no wonder I get depressed and sleep all day.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Yes, this specific word and others like it are everywhere and hard to avoid - it's part of daily speech for most people and I don't think you can avoid it except for to avoid sites or shows with adult content. Here, it is censored and you won't find this - or if you do, it will be written with ** to be implied but not directly spoken.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BraidedPony

BraidedPony Just Enjoying Survival V.I.P Member

Why would you want the worst trigger?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I don't like swearing either. As far as the 'if I hear it one more time' thing goes. We had to go to Disneyworld AGAIN for the national cheer/dance competition my girls were in. Our rooms were even inside the park. A few times I had to get out of the area and go somewhere else - if I had seen one more Mickey or Donald I was going to scream.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Tony Ramirez

6. Tony Ramirez

I mean I have the worst trigger. Sometimes I go into a mini meltdown with annoying commercials come on TV but otherwise or if I get stressed trying to figure something out on the computer "what always helps is taking a break then I figure it out" but the really bad word I need massive control.

7. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

I swear from time to time, myself, but I do get uncomfortable when someone swears to much around me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

I've never liked swearing either, and I'm nearly incapable of doing it. Do you have any idea why it's so bad for you?

9. Kirsty

Kirsty ND

I hate walking the streets these days. Even walking to my front door, school kids were shouting in a group the F-Word repeatedly in one sentence just because I was the only one around their presence. (Not to me directly) They only do it to show off and they think it’s cool and an acceptable way to be. If I wasn’t around they wouldn’t of been swearing. Obviously, I didn’t look their direction and it disgusts me. It is literally everywhere you go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative

I'll join the "doesnt like swearing" club as well.

Always found it mildly annoying. I mean, if someone does it as a sort of automatic reaction to something like, say, banging their elbow on a door, I can understand... sometimes it just pops out, right?

But SO MANY people do it just because it.... makes them fit in more? I dont understand how dropping F-bombs every 2 seconds makes one more likable, but that seems to be what people have decided on.

Me, on the other hand, I usually just let out long strings of gibberish in anger and then maybe kick something. You're more likely to hear a sudden "DGOIAIEHRHOAH!!!" followed by a loud THUD, rather than a traditional swear word. Usually it translates to "Windows is doing things again", basically. That's usually what sets me off.

Or I'll just use the word "bloody" alot because I read way too many Discworld books and seem to assimilate speech patterns that I see in books if I read them enough. Not on purpose, mind you. Certain family members think it's hilarious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tony Ramirez

"Dang it peace of crap crashed again."
    That's all the swearing I do.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

I can’t stand profanity either. It doesn’t send me into a meltdown, but if I hear too much profanity, it will be the only thing in my head when I am trying to clear my mind and go to sleep at night.

Same for anything too explicit, violent, or shocking - the moment I clear my mind of my other concerns, anything shocking comes forward and demands to be processed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl The Easter Bunny's Helper

When I first started going on the internet I had to learn to block out all the swearing just so I wouldn't go insane. But sometimes I feel like I need to wash my ears out. How can these people use their mouths to kiss their mother?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative

Well, they dont, really.

They're too busy trying to fit more f-bombs in there.

It's a wonder they can even breathe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Where on the internet is a lot of cursing? I only go here and facebook.

Do many people really kiss their mother or is that just an expression?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative

If you really dont know, consider yourself lucky.

The internet as a whole is... a dirty place. No... "dirty" isnt the right word. I probably cant say the right words here.

I tell ya, properly peaceful sites like this seem more and more rare as time goes on. They're like little shiny boats floating on a sea of cat turds.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  17. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

As a teenager, I went on a debate forum, the people there were also amazing, and that sums up my internet life, so I guess I am lucky! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Southern Discomfort

Southern Discomfort Smarter than the Average Bear V.I.P Member

Ah, then you and I would not be compatible as friends!

I have coprolalia and copropraxia as part of my Tourette's; I swear a fair bit. Nothing I can do about it. Most of the time though I just bark and howl.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member

I think vulgar swearing is a substitute for lack of vocabulary. If someone has to include the F-bomb in every sentence, then they need to expand their vocabulary to include acceptable words that accurately describe their thoughts. Some inarticulate people use the F-word as a verb, a noun, an adjective, and an adverb, all in the same sentence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. WildCat

WildCat and his scatterbrain V.I.P Member

I don't have a problem with it being both a user and receiver of profanity. My problem lies with the few people who don't understand the concept of self-control, knowing when it's safe to cut loose and when it's not safe to do so.

This forum is an example of one such place and I think I'm doing a fine job here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1