• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have difficulty finding comfortable t-shirts.

fendas

I have very comfortable underwear, socks, and pants, but not t-shirts. I went clothes shopping with my parents for approximately 90 minutes (though maybe approximately 90 minutes isn't much), and I didn't find a single t-shirt whose feel I was satisfied with. I'm very picky.

It doesn't help that every autistic person disagrees with me on this. They praise cotton, but I've tried a lot of cotton t-shirts which were uncomfortable. None of the t-shirts I wear these days are made from cotton. But maybe there are comfortable cotton t-shirts, I don't know.

I have a few t-shirts which I can tolerate to get by. One of them is very comfortable, but I guess even that one is kind of imperfect, I don't know. I wish I could have a lot of shirts with which I am completely comfortable.

I have troubles with this too. Some of my t-shirts are just too tight and stiff/itchy for me, and it really bothers me. I have one t-shirt that for me, is the most comfortable shirt I’ve had, ever. It’s made from 60% cotton, 40% polyester. It’s really soft and doesn’t bother my skin or make me itchy. I don’t know which materials you are sensitive to, but my policy for buying shirts is 1. How soft they are and 2. Always buy a size bigger. I love having my shirts loose, since there is less rubbing on my skin. I don’t know if this helps at all, but hopefully you’ll be able to find something that works for you!

I don’t know which materials you are sensitive to
My point was that there seems to be no type of material which is always comfortable. "cotton" or "polyester" doesn't say enough.

How soft they are
I don't think softness is everything, though. it's not like, the softer, the better. there's more to it than that. but I can't describe!

Always buy a size bigger. I love having my shirts loose, since there is less rubbing on my skin.
Yeah. I was bothered by my favorite YouTuber Diginee (who is autistic) saying that she didn't understand how shirts worked when she was wearing large shirts. but that's just for her. of course it can be different for me...

[QUOTE="fendas, post: 715610, member: 24743"
I don't think softness is everything, though. it's not like, the softer, the better. there's more to it than that. but I can't describe![/QUOTE]

Good point, now that I think about it, when I would go shopping with my family, and someone points out a sweater saying ‘how soft it is’ I usually disagree, or something about it just bugs me. It might have something to do with the smoothness of the material maybe?

H&M has some very soft t-shirts in their basic clothes line. Generally when I find a comfy shirt I buy a lot of them in different colors. Although to be fair I don’t have that many texture issues when it comes to clothes, with the exception of many wool-like textures that make me itchy as hell.

I have very comfortable underwear, socks, and pants, but not t-shirts. I went clothes shopping with my parents for approximately 90 minutes (though maybe approximately 90 minutes isn't much), and I didn't find a single t-shirt whose feel I was satisfied with. I'm very picky.

It doesn't help that every autistic person disagrees with me on this. They praise cotton, but I've tried a lot of cotton t-shirts which were uncomfortable. None of the t-shirts I wear these days are made from cotton. But maybe there are comfortable cotton t-shirts, I don't know.

I have a few t-shirts which I can tolerate to get by. One of them is very comfortable, but I guess even that one is kind of imperfect, I don't know. I wish I could have a lot of shirts with which I am completely comfortable.

What is uncomfortable for you about cotton T-shirts? What kinds of things would make a T-shirt comfortable for you?

I wear hemp T-shirts in black. It's hard for me to describe the texture, but for some reason I like them better than cotton. Their texture is different than cotton and I could see it being either you like it or hate it kind of thing. I wash them and then hang them to dry.

Have you tried unconventional sources (e.g. specialty stores for specific sports / activities) perhaps?
I'm okay with cotton but I found I really like tech shirts for running, which are typically 100% polyester, but sometimes tri-blend. Of course, we're all different so what might work for me might not work for you - one thing that upsets me is fabric that's too floppy. (which I think might be the weave)

Could you perhaps look for more T-shirts made by the same firm that makes those that you do find comfortable? Look for them online if you can't find them in the stores?

I have found that the detergent I use to wash them and the fabric softener can radically alter the way they feel, so that might be worth investigating.

seams and labels can irritate me. I've been known to wear a t shirt inside out before now.

When I found a t shirt I liked, I bought seven. one for every day of the week.
Plain, white and simple worked for me.

I also iron my cotton t shirts to flatten the fibres. Makes them softer & smoother, in my humble opinion.

Cotton/poly blend is comfortable to me. Some even have a little spandex in them.
I like the material light weight and thin, stretchy, and soft.
No tags of course and cut large around the sleeve and underarms.

Handwashing makes a difference to me and hang them up to air dry.

I don't think softness is everything, though. it's not like, the softer, the better. there's more to it than that. but I can't describe!

Good point, now that I think about it, when I would go shopping with my family, and someone points out a sweater saying ‘how soft it is’ I usually disagree, or something about it just bugs me. It might have something to do with the smoothness of the material maybe?
Im really good at telling if it's a natural fabric from a far, while my peers can't even if they touch it. It helps pick the clothes which I want to screen in depth, hand and eye.

I have trouble with the top of the shirts, tight necks kill me.

I feel best in cotton, but there is this cream color fabric of underwear with no sewing which feels refreshing and smooth no matter how tight it is and it would probably be good for a shirt. Itvs very thin and elastic. Therevs probably some elasthane in them.

My grandma doesn't like cotton. What she wears is polyester. It's probably the hottest type of material, it remains warm and borrows warmth easily. Not elastic. On the part that's painted it looks a bit more shiny. She handmade bras for herself out of it.

I encourage you to keep searching, try them on and then when you find something better remember what it looks like and feels like.

I typically searched all the warm season every day for 3-5 hrs for a few items and Im not even as picky as you sensory-wise. Second hand stores have more variety.

Last edited:
I have found that the detergent I use to wash them and the fabric softener can radically alter the way they feel, so that might be worth investigating.

And for something a bit unorthodox, adding a little glycerin to the wash may help with removing roughness :)

New Threads

Top Bottom