• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Winter

I like winter although I would rather a minimal amount of snow . I am someone who hibernates by nature anyway and I like cold , dry weather . Walking in the winter is one of my favourite activities as long as it isn't windy . I am also a fanatical Boston Bruins fan so without a Bruins game to watch I am like a fish out of water in the summer .

I like winter although I would rather a minimal amount of snow . I am someone who hibernates by nature anyway and I like cold , dry weather . Walking in the winter is one of my favourite activities as long as it isn't windy . I am also a fanatical Boston Bruins fan so without a Bruins game to watch I am like a fish out of water in the summer .
Snow and wind certainly add to my dislike of winter...as for walking,soon after I discovered the wheel,that kind of got a damper put on it :p

Wait what... Warmheart is an automobile nerd like me? What a pleasant surprise. :D:)

QUOTE="Warmheart, post: 336024, member: 12056"]I cherish every frigid, glacial blast! :D Okay, not really, but I love winter.

I can understand your delight in motorcycles, believe it or not, even though I'm very sensory-avoidant, because my sensory-seeking aspects REALLY like things which make an impact.
Springtime here is when motorcycles appear, and riders feel free, released from their winter confines. Although the noise makes me retreat, I am so happy for their happiness.

Classic cars (and classic car shows!) are a real thrill. Warm weather is when people show off their classic beauties. Love seeing classic cars over the warmer months!

I hope your winter feels brief to you.[/QUOTE]

In the UK winter lasts for about 9 months of the year but when you come it to the rest of northern Europe, most of the northern United States or Canada, it's kind of Winter Lite.

Temperatures hover around 0 - 10°c, it's wet, cold and everything looks dead and bleak.

By contrast our summers are similar to spring in most countries so there's not a huge difference but because we're not used to it, a single flake of snow sends the whole country into a blind panic.

A sled in my part of the country is a useless novelty that can only be used local about three times a year. I see no use for one in my world. I would ride until the winter set in heavy late in January and the cinders start to make the roadways dangerous. Then the street bikes get parked until the spring rains wash the stuff away,generally by mid May.
I got too old to heal from the dirtbike injuries when I hit about 40 :p
I do ride my Polaris 4x4 four wheeler year round ;)

Winter is a little different here. In the winter, we have snow on the ground for a week or two in the valley. In the mountains, you can find enough snow somewhere for a sled for 5 or 6 months every year. In most winters, I could go snowmobiling on Saturday and dirt biking (or golfing) on Sunday.

I quit riding in my early fifties. My wife was the main factor in that decision. However, it was time. For me to continue to ride the way that I like to ride was just to risky. How do you manage to keep from hurting yourself on your four wheeler? I would think that your need for speed would take over at times.

People differ in their temperature tolerance.

I spent ten formative years in Florida, and it turns out my skin does not like heat and humidity. It closes all its pores and breaks out in rashes and itches and sensitivity. And my poor brain just wants to sit in a corner and fantasize about the Arctic Circle. And when the sun goes down, it's still hot.

Yes, there isn't any salt eating away at the fenders of the cars. However, the sun would turn all the colors pastel and utterly destroy the insides of cars. No way to win :)

I am much happier in the far North, near the Canadian border. Four distinct and lovely seasons, and we have Alpine winter: blue skies, sunshine, fluffy white snow, and if the wind isn't blowing, it really does not matter what the temperature is. There is so little humidity in the air the cold does not get transmitted to your body.

I've snowshoed in zero degrees with my parka open over a couple of layers.

My friends in Florida are amazed I handle our winters, and I am amazed they handle their summers. I turn on the car and wait until the heat comes up; they turn on the car and wait until the air conditioning lets them touch the steering wheel. They lurk inside half the year and think I do: the only difference is which half.

Winter is a little different here. In the winter, we have snow on the ground for a week or two in the valley. In the mountains, you can find enough snow somewhere for a sled for 5 or 6 months every year. In most winters, I could go snowmobiling on Saturday and dirt biking (or golfing) on Sunday.

I quit riding in my early fifties. My wife was the main factor in that decision. However, it was time. For me to continue to ride the way that I like to ride was just to risky. How do you manage to keep from hurting yourself on your four wheeler? I would think that your need for speed would take over at times.
My Polaris is a utility quad that weighs 600+ pounds. The one lunger is a 4 valve 425 cc unit. It is capable of going very fast,but is kind of shaky to ride at speed because it is so top heavy. I have seen it to top end on a roadway,which isn't a safe act by far,but it rides too rough to see that kind of speed on a trail. Most of the time,it is a yard mule that I can take to the local store if I want to. Our law enforcement is kind of lax on us riding the side roads here as long as we don't make tons of noise or ride like idiots.

People differ in their temperature tolerance.

I spent ten formative years in Florida, and it turns out my skin does not like heat and humidity. It closes all its pores and breaks out in rashes and itches and sensitivity. And my poor brain just wants to sit in a corner and fantasize about the Arctic Circle. And when the sun goes down, it's still hot.

Yes, there isn't any salt eating away at the fenders of the cars. However, the sun would turn all the colors pastel and utterly destroy the insides of cars. No way to win :)

I am much happier in the far North, near the Canadian border. Four distinct and lovely seasons, and we have Alpine winter: blue skies, sunshine, fluffy white snow, and if the wind isn't blowing, it really does not matter what the temperature is. There is so little humidity in the air the cold does not get transmitted to your body.

I've snowshoed in zero degrees with my parka open over a couple of layers.

My friends in Florida are amazed I handle our winters, and I am amazed they handle their summers. I turn on the car and wait until the heat comes up; they turn on the car and wait until the air conditioning lets them touch the steering wheel. They lurk inside half the year and think I do: the only difference is which half.
No,there are three lovely seasons. Spring signifying the end of winter,summer the transition from spring to warmth and fall,the end of good days. Although I would ride a motorcycle in any temperature, I was never one who wanted to play in the cold. My hate of winter is about the harsh parts of it that are wet,muddy,windy or just plain depressing,not some postcard looking detail that is nice to look at. I guess that we all have our preferences and reasons to like different seasons,but my outdoor lifestyle ends when the cold part begins.
When I get a chance to locate a picture of one of my performance cars,you might understand why I hate the destruction that occurs from winter. Most of my collector or performance vehicles will pass a white rag test in the engine bay that takes hours to get that way and many more to keep it that way. Have you ever waxed an engine or a car frame? :D

I got to ride on a boat today for six hours. Can't do that during the winter :D

As I said, everyone can differ in their temperature tolerances. I went to Rio de Janeiro one (Northern Hemisphere) summer, which is their winter. My party was running around in shorts and t-shirts, while the locals were bundled up.

Were I to visit in their summer, I would be miserable, or inside all the time. And then I could be someone who says, "I hate summer!"

Where I used to live, the winters were two full months shorter. But they started when gray clouds moved in and it was going to be one sunny day per month from then on. The temperature hovered up and down the freezing point, so we had slush and frozen mud and it felt colder than where I live now.

For me, I am finally in a climate where I can go outside more than any other place I've lived. That is what suits me.

As I said, everyone can differ in their temperature tolerances. I went to Rio de Janeiro one (Northern Hemisphere) summer, which is their winter. My party was running around in shorts and t-shirts, while the locals were bundled up.

Were I to visit in their summer, I would be miserable, or inside all the time. And then I could be someone who says, "I hate summer!"

Where I used to live, the winters were two full months shorter. But they started when gray clouds moved in and it was going to be one sunny day per month from then on. The temperature hovered up and down the freezing point, so we had slush and frozen mud and it felt colder than where I live now.

For me, I am finally in a climate where I can go outside more than any other place I've lived. That is what suits me.
I am well aware of weather and how weather systems work as a part of my private pilot's training. In fact,don't they have to de-ice aircraft in cold weather so they can fly properly? :D

th

I love winter with a passion.

New Threads

Top Bottom