• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Winter

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
I hate the cold slushy aspect of it all. No more motorcycles,performance cars or just sitting outside. Heating bills from hell,destruction of property and just plain gray and nasty all the time.

Anyone else share my thoughts on this?

I've not lived anywhere else but in a winter climate most of my life. The snow piles up and you shovel it and walk in it and play in it, and its inevitable. Look at winter as a more sleepy part of the year, one in which you hibernate almost. I read more, paint more and take off and put on layers of clothes to come in and go out. Think what I dislike most of all is the die off of the natural world outside, that's so full of life for a time, and the absolute struggle of animals to live through the winter here. The fact that the climate can become so hostile so quickly that you could die out there, makes it almost terrible at times.

Used to go somewhere warm for a few weeks in the winter, just for a difference. And I've lived for a year here and there in warmer climates. But I don't know that if I lived elsewhere whether I would miss the changes in season that are so remarkable here. Don't hate winter, but I don't love it either, it's simply there and something that I've learned to live with.

Last edited:
I've not lived anywhere else but in a winter climate most of my life. The snow piles up and you shovel it and walk in it and play in it, and its inevitable. Look at winter as a more sleepy part of the year, one in which you hibernate almost. I read more, paint more and take off and put on layers of clothes to come in and go out. Think what I dislike most of all is the die off of the natural world outside, that's so full of life for a protracted time, and the absolute struggle of animals to live through the winter here. The fact that the climate can become so hostile so quickly that you could die out there, makes it almost terrible at times.

Used to go somewhere warm for a few weeks in the winter, just for a difference. And I've lived for a year here and there in warmer climates. But I don't know that if I lived elsewhere whether I would miss the changes in season that are so remarkable here. Don't hate winter, but I don't love it either, it's simply there and something that I've learned to live with.
I hardly ever worked a job that was safe to do when bundled up,so that was just another reason to dislike it :p

I love winter! its my natural environment and i feel most at home among the frozen wasteland that is Calgary in the height of winter. and i like the snow, it makes me work more each step. it also means if i overheat somehow, all i need to do is step outside to rapidly cool off. and then i can be warm back in the house.

windchill is murder, though. i had to brave minus 50 windchill a few years back for slurpee. for three days. i did it like a boss. :p

I always hated that huge block of ice that hung in the fenders. You know, that big ugly black mass that would always drop off at the most inconvenient time and then your car bounces over it like you just hit a dead body.

When I moved away from Cleveland it was 2 degrees with 18 inches of snow on the ground. I left and didn't look back.
I always hated undercar service in the winter...a slushfest so it was :p

I love winter! its my natural environment and i feel most at home among the frozen wasteland that is Calgary in the height of winter. and i like the snow, it makes me work more each step. it also means if i overheat somehow, all i need to do is step outside to rapidly cool off. and then i can be warm back in the house.

windchill is murder, though. i had to brave minus 50 windchill a few years back for slurpee. for three days. i did it like a boss. :p
I could not risk getting tangled up in machinery or catching on fire most of the time. Ever ran a machine that soaked you with water soluable oil coolant? Not very pleasant in a cold shop setting.

I'm finding it difficult dealing with the hot weather at the moment
They still make air conditioning for that. I like vehicles too much to watch them get eaten away by road salt that they use here in what we call the rust belt of the USA.

I hate the cold slushy aspect of it all. No more motorcycles,performance cars or just sitting outside. Heating bills from hell,destruction of property and just plain gray and nasty all the time.

Me too Nitro
I can't stand the winter and thankful I don't live up north. I love to be able to walk around barefoot and shorts. I hate bundling up with heavy coats, socks, boots and those beanie hats and gloves. Not to mention having to scrape ice off of my windshield and allowing truck or car to fully warm up before driving. Then, on top of that, the flu virus in the air everywhere. I hate getting the flu! I hibernate as much as possible in the winter. I live in Texas, we usually have mild winters, but occasionally we get hit with brutally cold winds, sleet and I happen to live on the top floor and the outside staircase becomes a death trap. December til March is the worst time for me. My bones shiver under my skin...literally.

Calgary! I'm in PG, BC! Mixed feelings about winter. Live out in the boonies - love the quiet stillness of soft snow and empty white landscapes. The feeling that everyone is barricaded in their house and I have the whole world to myself.

Love finding Lynx tracks in the back field, Grouse holes where the grouse holed up for the night, the stories left behind by little voles and mice that ventured up on top of the snow pack on a sunny day and left their tracks meandering around to disappear down an almost invisibel hole shielded by a lone and over-grown blade of grass or bushy twig. Love the Ginger-bread snow icing slowly flowing off the out-building rooftops. Love the crispness, I do like the cold better than the hot.

I hate having to drive in the dark, hate the snowy, icy roads. The incredible long dark nights (only get about 8 hrs of daylight here during the winter) - but we also get some pretty amazing displays of Northern Lights - I'd love winter even more if I could just stay home with a fire roaring in the woodstove, and not have to go out and deal with the glare of the automobiles, the slush being thrown up on the windshield, the drive in the darkness, the slippery icy roads -

Last edited:
1472835063606.jpg

If I had to choose, it would be an Upper Michigan winter over a Sacramento summer. There were definitely things I didn't enjoy about snow and ice, for sure. Or when city pipes broke and we had to shower elsewhere for a week. Or sliding around like a parody of Ice Capades. But I was never in better shape than when I lived right on the south shore of Lake Superior (a matter of yards), and had to excavate my little car every morning. I really built up some guns! :) And there was no comparing the smell or quality of that air. And I love short days. Or at least my eyes do.

Thankfully, now we live in a place where the climate is Mediterranean, so summer = brown and crispy fields, and winter = lush and green and wet, even if most of the trees still do lose their foliage.

I cherish every frigid, glacial blast! :D Okay, not really, but I love winter.

I can understand your delight in motorcycles, believe it or not, even though I'm very sensory-avoidant, because my sensory-seeking aspects REALLY like things which make an impact.
Springtime here is when motorcycles appear, and riders feel free, released from their winter confines. Although the noise makes me retreat, I am so happy for their happiness.

Classic cars (and classic car shows!) are a real thrill. Warm weather is when people show off their classic beauties. Love seeing classic cars over the warmer months!

I hope your winter feels brief to you.

I don't do well in hot weather so I look forward to Autumn and cooler weather. The quiet gloomy days of winter can be hard.

Winters can be devastating on my body. I suffer from seasonal affective disorder from a lack of sunlight during the winter months. Last winter I beat it down with full spectrum lamps and a Honeywell negative ion generator/filter. I never had those issues until I was injured because I always spent a lot of time outdoors traveling to work and getting refreshed by natural light. Winter hinders my outdoors activities because of the mud and slush,and all my toys have been put into storage so they don't get destroyed by the crap that comes with the colder months. If it wasn't for my many other interests that are indoors,the winter months would be written off as a total loss.

I am just the other way around, I do not like summer. I am very, very sensitive to the heat. In the summer I am trapped in the air conditioned house all afternoon. I can deal with the cold much better. It is so bad that I have been hauled off a golf course in a ambulance, twice. Like you, I like high performance, out door recreation. For me it was dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Now days I poke holes in paper with high performance firearms, but not when it is hot.

I am just the other way around, I do not like summer. I am very, very sensitive to the heat. In the summer I am trapped in the air conditioned house all afternoon. I can deal with the cold much better. It is so bad that I have been hauled off a golf course in a ambulance, twice. Like you, I like high performance, out door recreation. For me it was dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Now days I poke holes in paper with high performance firearms, but not when it is hot.
A sled in my part of the country is a useless novelty that can only be used local about three times a year. I see no use for one in my world. I would ride until the winter set in heavy late in January and the cinders start to make the roadways dangerous. Then the street bikes get parked until the spring rains wash the stuff away,generally by mid May.
I got too old to heal from the dirtbike injuries when I hit about 40 :p
I do ride my Polaris 4x4 four wheeler year round ;)

I loathe winter. I semi loathe autumn, for it heralds in the coming of winter. I wish I could hibernate like a bear, or become dormant like our Japanese maple tree.

I need the sun in my face and to move about in tees and shorts. I need to hear the birds and see bees flitting from flower to flower.

Working under trucks in winter that have water tank leaks or have been in the rain, and the ever present wind make for a wet, shivering, miserable me. During the few heat waves of 40oC we have after Christmas, I am drenched in sweat by 9am. But I am happy for this.

Like you, I become as pasty on the inside as I look on the outside. I speak less, move less and fade during winter. When I learned of SAD, I realised that is what happens to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom