• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Can't Stand Clothes

I spent nearly 20 years working in jobs that expected me to wear a formal suit as par for the course. I found ways of making it work for me - cotton shirts with soft, shallow collars makes a huge difference, learning to tie your tie "just so" so it looks respectable without throttling you, waistcoats long enough to cover your waistband, cutting out labels and more. Dressing appropriately helps to feel the confidence you should have in such roles, but after a day at work I couldn't wait to get out of it!
MwZ25rb.jpg

Like it or not, people DO judge us by our appearance and in certain professions we have to dress a certain way either to be taken seriously or because there is an official or unofficial uniform that signifies the role. I always wear a collared shirt when I'm on camera because I know how I look will be significant to an NT audience in how seriously they take my words, but it goes on just before the camera rolls and comes off right after - nobody can see my bottom half either :p
These days I wear soft, loose jeans, t-shirts and hoodies out of the house for comfort and practicality. Steel toe capped Chelsea boots, 1/2 a size too big give me plenty of wiggle-room for my toes and hats/bandanas make me feel more secure. I don't like my head to be bare out of doors.
Indoors I live and die in PJs. Loose jersey trousers and t-shirts in colder months and light cotton shorts in the summer when it's too warm to wear anything more. Where I live it's too overlooked to go around in the buff unless I want PC Plod knocking on my door - not worth the aggro ;)
It's just about feeling comfortable and not irritated to me :)

Last edited:
I spent nearly 20 years working in jobs that expected me to wear a formal suit as par for the course. I found ways of making it work for me - cotton shirts with soft, shallow collars makes a huge difference, learning to tie your tie "just so" so it looks respectable without throttling you, waistcoats long enough to cover your waistband, cutting out labels and more. Dressing appropriately helps to feel the confidence you should have in such roles, but after a day at work I couldn't wait to get out of it!
MwZ25rb.jpg

Like it or not, people DO judge us by our appearance and in certain professions we have to dress a certain way either to be taken seriously or because there is an official or unofficial uniform that signifies the role. I always wear a formal shirt when I'm on camera because I know how I look will be significant to an NT audience in how seriously they take my words, but it goes on just before the camera rolls and comes off right after - nobody can see my bottom half either :p
These days I wear soft, loose jeans, t-shirts and hoodies out of the house for comfort and practicality. Steel toe capped Chelsea boots, 1/2 a size too big give me plenty of wiggle-room for my toes and hats/bandanas make me feel more secure. I don't like my head to be bare out of doors.
Indoors I live and die in PJs. Loose jersey trousers and t-shirts in colder months and light cotton shorts in the summer when it's too warm to wear anything more. Where I live it's too overlooked to go around in the buff unless I want PC Plod knocking on my door - not worth the aggro ;)
Oh, I do love my pj's (it's 11:30 a.m. and still in mine. lol) Hadn't really thought about it but even my pj's - I love the mid length nightgowns but also wear pj pants under the gowns. I guess kind of like when we had to wear a dress to church, I'd wear maxi length dress and pants underneath. I had my own unique style. LOL I remember going to my older sister's wedding - shorter dress I was forced to wear and someone saying, "Wow. You have legs."

I can't stand anything form-fitting, tight, or otherwise not baggy. I tried on skinny jeans once, and this was my reaction:

I wear Levi's Signature for jeans. They're very, very baggy. But I tend to follow the same strategy as @BraidedPony : a size or two too big is just right.

Also, for men's formal wear: get a suit if you don't have one. They hang off you just like baggy clothes. And you look boss as F wearing one.

That is so weird Pats, I have been wearing leggings under my dresses. The leggings are a couple of sizes too big, so they are comfortable, and wearing them under a dress makes the dress more comfortable. Looks weird though I guess but hey, at my age I don’t care.

In my case I suppose it's mostly a matter of texture. Surfaces that are a bit too stiff, tough and scratchy I can only handle for so long before they drive me crazy.

MwZ25rb.jpg

Like it or not, people DO judge us by our appearance and in certain professions we have to dress a certain way either to be taken seriously or because there is an official or unofficial uniform that signifies the role. I always wear a collared shirt when I'm on camera because I know how I look will be significant to an NT audience in how seriously they take my words, but it goes on just before the camera rolls and comes off right after - nobody can see my bottom half either :p
I plan on working at home as an indie game dev, so, on the jobs bit of it, I should have no problem with being naked when I get my own home.

I plan on working at home as an indie game dev, so, on the jobs bit of it, I should have no problem with being naked when I get my own home.

Well I wish you the greatest of success with that. Good luck Joshua, I hope you manage to achieve such goals? Not sure why you quoted my post, but hey, it takes allsorts to fill this world we live in ;)

Last edited:
@Autistamatic

I think he quoted your post because you mentioned working
for 20 years in jobs that expected you to be in formal suits.

So, it makes sense for him to offer the information that he
intends to work at home and wear no clothing while he works.

@Autistamatic

Exactly. I'd probably only wear clothes during dev streams where I'll have my webcam on.

@Autistamatic

Not only made sense but confirmed by the OP :)
The "work at home" thing was not clear initially because indie game developers for PC do not always work alone.

Last edited:
Not only made sense but confirmed by the OP :)
The "work at home" thing was not clear initially because indie game developers for PC do not always work alone.
Lol. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make my game's development community driven. I'd do the heavy-lifting such as programming and making sure my Unreal Engine product doesn't end up being a bunch of corrupted files.

I don't hate clothes per se, they can be quite pretty and used as a statement, like a pretty necklace, or needed in certain jobs and yes, weather that's too cold.
I just feel better without them and it's hot and humid most of the time where I live.
Textures and how they fit are what I look for when buying clothes.

Wish it were in America as Europe for nudist resorts and living communities.
Here they are expensive, and hard to find. Aren't plentiful.
I did get to enjoy a day at a nude beach one time on the gulf.
The sun, the fresh air and going out into the waves just felt so good, so free.

Funny how I don't like to wear clothing, yet at night I need the feel of a soft fleece blanket
even though I also sleep in the nude, to sleep peacefully.
Tonight it is cool and I have a loose fitting lightweight caftan on.
But, it will go off when I go to bed...under the soft blanket! :)

A major problem I have with clothes is restrictions they make, or tensions because of layers being misaligned. and then multiple layers while sitting or lying makes it an unsolvable uncomfortable puzzle

I HAAAAAAAATE clothes that are fashionable. I hate jeans. I usually dress in leggings, a loose T-shirt (the light and flowy kind not the ones with logos on them and such those are too warm for my liking) and a cardigan. I find them reasonably comfortable

Funny how I don't like to wear clothing, yet at night I need the feel of a soft fleece blanket even though I also sleep in the nude, to sleep peacefully.Tonight it is cool and I have a loose fitting lightweight caftan on. But, it will go off when I go to bed...under the soft blanket! :)
That's the only way to sleep! It's hard enough to get my Aspy brain to shut up, if I didn't do exactly that, I'd never get to snoring.

When we bought our house, there was a clothing optional resort with a campground 6 miles down the road. It was the best place on earth, the only place we ever felt safe or welcome, other than our own home, of course. No one judged anyone on superficial shallow false appearances. When you are not wearing any clothes, no one can classify you as being the wrong class for not wearing the most expensive latest high society fashions, since no one else is either. It's a great equalizer, making it difficult to misrepresent oneself and impossible to conceal weapons of mass destruction. Everyone was treated the same, regardless of their neuro/racial/cultural/economic diversity. It was great while it lasted, but then there was a change in management and it became a high priced drunken den of iniquities. We can't afford it now, even if it does go back to the way it was.

society has yet to get to a point where full on public nudity is ok. you'll have to confine yourself to your room for the time being.

I personally would not like to be walking around naked or see other people walking around naked.

New Threads

Top Bottom