• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Can't Stand Clothes

Strange thing to discuss here. Do any other people with ASD have high pain tolerances? I have withstood some extreme pain situations without reacting immediately. Consequently, the damage is worse. Everything from burns to kidney stone colic to being punched in the face! What are your feelings?
Oh, by the way, artificial nudists come in boxes from certain suppliers of naughty things - saw a program on TV. Apparently, whole groups of people today only engage with fake plastic people.
Pain tolerance could be a thing. My wife doesn't believe the kinds of pain I just shrug off. I get a deep sliver and I get a sharp knife and start excavating. It's only pain and to be expected, so it isn't a big deal. I ignore a bee sting. I'll get some huge gash and it is bleeding all over but I'll just tape it together and call it good. My wife the nurse says I needed a half dozen stitches.

My son is very much the same way. I don't think it is a high pain threshold or low sensitivity. It is how you react to it. You can decide that it is unimportant.

It's a problem that when you tell a doctor how much it hurts, you aren't getting thru. "On a scale of 1 thru 10, where one is hardly noticeable and 10 is the most terrible pain you've ever felt, how do you rate this pain?" And then they use that as some kind of diagnostic? Give me a break! I'm trying to figure out how much pain an average person would say "this pain" is. Compared to having an inflamed appendix explode on you, almost all other pain is trivial.

The thought of artificial nudists somehow brings to mind undressed mannequins.

Yes, now I have awful thoughts of rude dollies. Behave.
I have endured a lot of physical pain, the worst was a blood clot on my lung. My blood pressure collapsed & I had to have my head lower than my feet. It was intolerable. But with kidney stone colic I have just hung onto a tree branch until the rotten thing passed & that is supposed to be rated as one of the worst pains. Teeth bothered me & days of discomfort until something was done. But as you say, the cuts, burns, & scratches of everyday do not bother me, until suddenly I am made aware of them while bathing - then I feel them!

Yes, now I have awful thoughts of rude dollies. Behave.
I have endured a lot of physical pain, the worst was a blood clot on my lung. My blood pressure collapsed & I had to have my head lower than my feet. It was intolerable. But with kidney stone colic I have just hung onto a tree branch until the rotten thing passed & that is supposed to be rated as one of the worst pains. Teeth bothered me & days of discomfort until something was done. But as you say, the cuts, burns, & scratches of everyday do not bother me, until suddenly I am made aware of them while bathing - then I feel them!

It doesn't bring to mind naked dollies to me when I used the term natural nudists.
What I meant was someone who grew up not feeling ashamed of nudity. It was something that just
felt natural.

OTOH those who grew up thinking nudity as wrong, embarassed to be seen "bare- arsed" or was taught
it goes against a religion ideal, then later in life wants to become a nudist, might take some work
to get past those feelings. Un-natural nudist.
No more meaning meant than someone who has red hair naturally, but, decides they want to be a blonde.
They dye it, but, that is not the natural colour. Nuff said.

High pain tolerance, yes. Don't know if it has anything to do with autism, but, I definitely have it.
I can cut or scratch myself and don't even know it until I see it or someone else does.
I've taken flat out falls on concrete with no one around to help and crawled with my
arms on the concrete to get to something to help myself up with.
Go in the house and clean all the cuts and blood myself, then put on bandages.

I don't like anesthesia, so I've had some surgeries done without it or even pain killers.
Like zapping spider veins off my cheeks with an electric needle made to stop bleeding,
staying awake during cataract surgery, but, that doesn't hurt with numbing drops.
Just a matter of knowing you can do it without panicking.

I've had liver cancer and I got my biopsy with a full core needle the size of my little finger.
Just like being stabbed in the stomach with instructions not to flinch or it could go in the wrong
place with serious results. Lay in the CT machine just enough the doctor can see on a screen
where to whack the thing in. Blood spurts up, runs down and click, click it's extracted.
But then you have to lay perfectly still with it in you for about 15 mins until pathology
returns the report they have enough tissue.
That was probably the most painful thing I can remember doing with no pain killers or anesthesia.
But, then I've never had a baby.
Always thought that must be the worst.

New Threads

Top Bottom