• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am very curious about certain personality parameters and how they apply to the Autistic

Both!

Sidd could have a much different explanation, but I see that label, along with any other, such as man, liberal, gay, BPD etc. as things for which characteristics of mine currently fit the criteria, but not things in which, to whatever extent I can, I actively identify with. The difference seems mostly semantical a lot of the time, but the point is for the labels to not be a determining factor in your behavior.

The simplest example is the amount of people who choose whom to vote for based on their political party.

Examples happen all the time once you're thinking about it. People are constantly confused by the behavior that falls outside of the label of someone they know.

I was an English major then switched to piano, and people react with but you're an English major. Some people even insisted that I didn't play the piano! Then I do something else and people are shocked because I'm a pianist.

If I do anything with a female, but you're gay???

You'll see it on this forum frequently, too. "Well, I'm this so that's why that and why I won't do that and will never be able to do these things. Oh well. Thaaaaat's me!"

Then there's the matter of the self-fulling prophecy. I'm in introvert, I'm an introvert, I'm an introvert. Then I die an introvert. Why? Was it an indelible part of mind, or was it a continuous decision I made?

"Neuroplasticity, also known as brain plasticity, neuroelasticity, or neural plasticity, is the ability of the brain to change throughout an individual's life, e.g., brain activity associated with a given function can be transferred to a different location, the proportion of grey matter can change, and synapses may strengthen or weaken over time. Research in the latter half of the 20th century showed that many aspects of the brain can be altered (or are "plastic") even through adulthood."

Sorry if anyone is bothered by the big words or use of complex terminology, such as "brain" and "the"!

After reading the posts above, I was thinking, "Exactly! Labels are limitations!" and then I read this post and you said it outright!

*closes thread through sheer force of will in declaration of Sidd's victory over all things* :cool:
"... with faint praises"
;):):cool:

I am always confused at the amount of passion that can be expressed when individuals discourage labeling.

What is it that is so terrible about labels? They are simple tools of language by which to identify something. They do not have to define anyone who chooses not to allow themselves to be defined by them.

Everyone knows that these are all generalizations. Why the furor?

The aggressiveness is a sign of disagreeableness as is the willingness to stand up for yourself. This is because you don't value social harmony as highly as asserting your needs and wants. There is some research to suggest that this indicates that people like you and I place our own interests above those of the tribe, whereas agreeable people place tribal interests above their own.

Sounds like you used to be aggressive, but have now learned to be assertive. The former is generally considered an undesirable behavior and the later a desirable behavior.

The way I often look at it is that it is in my best interest not to draw attention to myself or have to cope with conflict. When I am agreeable it is often for that reason and not so much because I value other people's wants and needs over my own, although I was essentially raised with that set of values-to put others first.

The way I often look at it is that it is in my best interest not to draw attention to myself or have to cope with conflict. When I am agreeable it is often for that reason and not so much because I value other people's wants and needs over my own, although I was essentially raised with that set of values-to put others first.

Ahhh ... so your desire to avoid conflict supersedes your desire to have your needs and wants fulfilled?

Ahhh ... so your desire to avoid conflict supersedes your desire to have your needs and wants fulfilled?
Well I suppose I am saying that avoiding conflict is one of my highest needs/wants. LOL At least some of the time if not all of the time. I was usually quite passive at work and am more passive in a group situation. I am more assertive one on one or for personal matters and if it comes to looking after a loved one I can be very assertive....but then that is another person's needs. LOL

I am always confused at the amount of passion that can be expressed when individuals discourage labeling.

What is it that is so terrible about labels? They are simple tools of language by which to identify something. They do not have to define anyone who chooses not to allow themselves to be defined by them.

"Hey! Can you help me out?"

"Whaaaat?"

"I'm standing on a chair, and I need to hammer this nail in. Can you bring me a hammer?"

"I'll bring you the meat tenderizer, hold on."

"Whaaaaaaat?"
---
You may be wondering what strange twist prompted such a crazy sounding response.

I don't have a "hammer".
But I recognize the need, and what can likely be pressed into service.
I do have a meat tenderizer---
...which is just another kind of hammer, albeit designed for another application.

Yet, the confusion that you experienced at my response was natural.

Why?

Because of the label.
You(probably) wouldn't have considered using a meat tenderizer, because of the label.

Brass, iron, steel, bronze, aluminum...
vastly differing metals.
Yet they all can be made into functioning copies of the identical key.

But, you wouldn't ask me for brass, or steel, if it were the house-key, that you wanted.
---
These labels that we give, determine how we place these things in our memories.

If I profess to be a scalawag, long enough, vehemently enough, eventually, I will be.
Likewise, honest, crazy, a murderer.

To label yourself, for instance, a "cheater",
defines you, whereas,
To label an act as cheating, that you may very well have done, labels the act, not the person committing the act.

You've heard the saying that we resemble our pets, or vice-versa?
We eventually bear a far greater resemblance to what we call ourselves regularly.

"Hey! Can you help me out?"

"Whaaaat?"

"I'm standing on a chair, and I need to hammer this nail in. Can you bring me a hammer?"

"I'll bring you the meat tenderizer,

I would understand the logic of this but be quite upset about the use of a kitchen tool for a non-food related job.

Last edited:
"both introverts and extroverts want to be social. they just do so at different frequencies. one prefers one on one while the other prefers crowds."

I took this to mean that introverts prefer one on one socializing, whereas, extroverts prefer group socializing. I disagree. I think introverts and extroverts have preferences for each type of socializing, but introverts prefer each type less often than extroverts. However, socially anxious people do prefer one to one or small groups.

I didn't see where you made the point that introverts require more alone time.
They require more alone time because that's where they recharge. Extroverts get their energy from being around people.

The point is neither are socially enept and both are socially inclined. The difference is volume.

Would you be able to identify the characteristics of my/our post/s that suggests passion or furor? I'm curious for future reference, because I've had similar accusations before so it must be something I'm doing.

Is it the writing style?
The length?
The italicized words? I used that in order to group the same idea into one font, it was more OCD than anything.

I just enjoy philosophizing and psychology, but I don't believe I experienced much of any emotion at any point in this thread.

Probably auto correct.

She meant führer.

images

@Fino Now isn't that just 'Ducky?' :D

In response to my original post regarding if I am disagreeable?
I would prefer no conflicts and being introverted, which to me means not really caring to socialize,
I don't start conflicts.
But, if insulted or confronted I will stand my ground without hesitation.
As the metaphor goes: Still waters run deep.

I always think I can solve any problem and view anything through thinking/mental abilities.
But, I also use a hefty dose of intuition along with it.

Edit : does is now corrected to dose, guys.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom