• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Humour. It is a Difficult Concept

Darkkin

V.I.P Member

How many of us have either a weird sense of humour or as Spock puts it: 'A singular wit.' I admit I laugh at my own jokes. Such as...

20220512_121033.jpg

The context is obscure in the extreme, but it still makes me smile. I laugh as much at my own jokes as I do at myself because I know I'm not idiot proof.

What is your approach to humour?

Last edited:
My approach to humor is usually a tad morbid, deadpan and self-deprecating. Which sometimes confuses people because it makes them think I am super insecure and severely depressed.

My approach to humor is usually a tad morbid, deadpan and self-deprecating. Which sometimes confuses people because it makes them think I am super insecure and severely depressed.

The good old serious/not serious, seriously? Paradox. The Vulcan affect delivery.

Depends on the audience really. As many on here will know - revealing your true self isn't going to probably occur around the general public and the same goes for humour.

At work and in day to day life I encounter people laughing and joking about stuff and, much like small talk - I find it frustraingly boring to listen to.

I enjoy puns and wordplay. Sometimes a dad joke is amusing just to deliberately annoy people with how bad the joke is. Then there's the ever faithful risque topics, along with downright dark, offensive, sexist, racist or homophobic stuff. Now I know - some might read that and be "tut tutting". At the end of the day, it's freedom to choose to find something funny or not.

I guess humour is a spectrum in of itself.

But I struggle to empathise with people who decide to get offended when it comes to comedy. Probably because they're very vocal about it and that quickly becomes a chore to listen to. A bit like when that guy tried to attack Dave Chapelle. Then seeing the guys gormless expression whilst he was being loaded into an ambulance. The shape of his broken arm made me laugh out loud. "What an idiot" I thought to myself.

Oh, and Schadenfreude is delicious too. I even find myself laughing at "tragedies" in the news. Hmm bit macabre. Mind you, I'd rather be laughing at misfortune than adopting artificial guilt.

Ed

Last edited:

How many of us have either a weird sense of humour or as Spock puts it: 'A singular wit.' I admit I laugh at my own jokes. Such as...

View attachment 78993

The context is obscure in the extreme, but it still makes me smile. I laugh as much at my own jokes as I do at myself because I know I'm not idiot proof.

What is your approach to humour?

Husky - Nome Alaska?

Laugh at my own jokes every single time. At myself, selectively.

My flavor(s) of humor is probably pretty obvious since I am attempting it constantly.

Spectrum is a tough crowd.

ylriurp.jpg

Years ago I made a compilation of the funniest bits in several Simpsons episodes. A coworker watched it and complained that I had chopped off the funniest parts.
This was an eye opener! He laughed at the verbal 'round up' of the joke, whilst I found the actual hi-jinks
to be hilarious. A glimpse into the various forms humor can take amongst all of us.

My sense of humor is no holds barred. As you can probably you can tell...

As a teenager I listened to Howard Stern, standup, like carlin, Pryor , Murphy, And many many more. Not to mention british comedians equally apologetically offensive.

I always liked and continue to like, shocking outrageous things. Going back to playground, with my delinquent friends telling the most f-d up jokes imaginable.

@Jeff T Oh the Simpsons. I loved that as a kid. I like sardonic wit, deadpan stuff, innocent stuff, I like all that too. Visual gags, word puns. etc.

Years ago I made a compilation of the funniest bits in several Simpsons episodes. A coworker watched it and complained that I had chopped off the funniest parts.
This was an eye opener! He laughed at the verbal 'round up' of the joke, whilst I found the actual hi-jinks
to be hilarious. A glimpse into the various forms humor can take amongst all of us.

I think that happens with me as well. I will find the absurd action itself hysterical and the punchline anticlimatic.

Yeah, also weird. Plus may be heard saying, but, why is that funny? I tend to have some ongoing allegedly funny stuff, like if my friend is peering out the window cos she's curious about what her neighbours are doing, I say, go and ask, they won't mind, just knock and say, exactly what are you doing? And maybe ask them to keep you better informed in future? You shouldn't have to go and beg for updates... etc.

It's funny in the moment... Maybe.

I have been frequently told that I am funny. I laugh at things that amuse me and have a sort of sardonic way of looking at things. So I sometimes (Read: frequently) laugh at things that people don't seem to notice or find funny.

I get told all the time by people I met on here that I’m funny, but no one gets (or likes) my jokes irl :confused:
I don’t take a lot of things that seriously and I kind of find humor in most things, I guess.

I particularly like wordplay, schadenfreude, and things that are funny because they’re WRONG. But I have to read my audience too. Some people don’t like things like this:
05DD90A4-9482-43FB-A527-D3E3937401AA.jpeg

I can't recall who said the below because it was a long time ago I heard it, but it seems to ring True more times than not when I've tested it.

That to have a sense of humor requires a belief in Truth outside of oneself.

That without this, one cannot discern how everything surrounding a Truth in a situation, meme, or joke in language, plays off that Truth, usually by inverting it which is often the source of what makes something funny; that the joke is incongruent with the Truth it surrounds.

Screenshot_20220802-185339_Messages.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom