• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Howdy

Liambruno

Hi everybody, the thing at the top of the page told me to introduce myself. Yes, I'm that malleable. Got a bridge to sell me? :)
I'm in a very weird place right now because I was just handed a diagnosis of mild ASD, basically the former Asperger's phenotype. Ironic, because exactly thirty years ago I was assessed at a comprehensive psychiatric clinic and they told my parents that there was "nothing wrong" with me.
BTW I hate, hate that idea of wrongness in Asperger's. I realize that there are some impairments, sometimes serious ones, associated with autism. I'm also becoming more aware of the ones that affect me, and of my own ability to ignore or compensate for problem areas.
Until now I've thought of myself as a typical guy. You know, a guy who has one friend at a time, who can't go out with friends or even close relatives on any activity that isn't scheduled a week out, who doesn't spontaneously do unexpected nice things for his wife (unless it's for a purpose, usually to make her feel better when she's upset--I do try, mind you), and who didn't even know what color her eyes were until it was brought to his attention that he didn't know. Oh, also the typical kind of guy who, thanks to poor concentration, takes eight hours at the office to do roughly an hour's worth of work, but could spend the same eight hours organizing his MP3 collection and forget to eat, shower, or even dress (if I'm wearing flannel pants and a t-shirt, doesn't that count as dressed?)
You know, just a regular guy. How did I not pick up on this earlier? Maybe I had just accepted the level of functioning that I had attained. I was working, happily married, had two wonderful children, and...well, all that other stuff was just gaps I'd learn later, when I grew up. Except I was grown up; I was now an adult who still followed thought patterns similar to those he did at age six--"when I grow up, I'll do ____." So if I hadn't learned it, whatever "it" was, hope was fading.
But now here we are. I'm not exactly elated to be labeled as autistic, but I'm relieved. I feel similar to someone whose car has a horrible idle, a temperamental throttle, dodgy and difficult steering, and no cargo room, when he realizes that he's sitting in a formula 1 racer and he's trying to drive it like a pickup. I'm hoping this marks a turning point, both personally and professionally.

Welcome to Central Liambruno Many of us on here will understand exactly, the mix of feelings which arise from diagnosis, as we consider past aspects of ourselves & how this fits into the spectrumite puzzle. Someone wise said progress comes through self awareness & I'd echo that 110% ☺

Wow. You are soooooooooooo not alone in virtually everything you posted.

I didn't pick up on all this until I was in my mid fifties. Still though, being only mildly on the spectrum sometimes leaves me feeling like I'm in a social-kind of "no man's land".

But I also know I have lots of peers right here in this online community. So will you.

Welcome to AC. ;)

Last edited:
I understand all of these "traits", I am the same. I don't fit in with anyone except for people on Aspies Central....so thankful for this site which allows me to be me without fear of rejection.

Your minions avatar has won me over. I freaking love those little guys.

Welcome to the forums

Haha, that image probably expresses my personality better than I would normally admit. I figure anyone who can't laugh at himself is 1) needlessly serious, and 2) missing out on some great humor.

New Threads

Top Bottom