• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How often are you regularly outdoors?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member
For this topic, I will only share this one video of me going outside for a walk seeing things that I like to see and what also interest me when being in the moment while I am out at places.

My favourite things to do when going out to places is make YouTube videos like this, this gets me away from screen timing since even in this video content I put in a bit of time editing this video. I enjoy myself watching and looking at myself on how much fun I get getting outside of my apartment and just enjoying the fresh air, seeing how much I love the clothes that I wear. When making these video, those are the type of clothes I always wear.

It is quite frequent I get outdoors, not always I film my video contents. If I had been to a particular location, I like to take my time just to enjoy what I see or look at. My favourite other outdoor activities does involve swimming and water activities, most of my swimming had been done in indoor pools.

Bushwalking, exploring, strolling through parks, going on fun filled outdoor adventures and swimming are my favourite things to do outdoors.

How often do you get to go outside like I do?

Pretty often, but should get out even more. These videos are inspiring. This is a good time to go places, because it’s summer (here).

Not often enough. Sadly I am often too fatigued and if it's too cold or too hot it messes with my joints. But I have been able to go out more recently and it's been a nice temperature!!! I am guessing I get a week more before it's too hot lol

I must get out once per day, lest I go mad.

Usually driving. I'm in the US Midwest, where the weather is just inherently chaotic. Often it's either too hot, too cold, too wet, too frozen, or just too stupid to do things like hiking. When I do go hiking I sometimes take photos though. It's hard to find truly interesting places though. I mean, after exploring some rather silly amount of forests, they do start to blend together.

When I wasn't working for over a year, I went for a walk every day... Generally in the urban, sometimes to park settings... I have been doing some temp work contracts, warehousing so a job on my feet all day... On weekends I still walk lots

Yesterday spent two or three hours outside at an automotive swap meet, apparently walked about 6.7 km, did have to drive 1.5 hours to get there... Often in the urban I just go for a walk on the weekends...

I like walking, and finding interesting places to go. Went to a Sculpture park yesterday, had a good walk that included seeing and interacting with sculpture in the landscape, some huge and awesome Henry Moore sculptures, various other giants, some pieces it's hard to see the point of, like a huge rusty frame as if of a building, but, why? Especially in an already beautiful place... it was inspiring, sometimes perplexing, and good exercise.

The garden is burgeoning now, zucchini flowers are opening every day, but it's hit and miss if they wind up pollinated, only one has so far! Pretty sure it was me and my pastry brush that achieved that, too! But I fried and ate a couple of the small ones that didn't get pollinated, and will keep on trying. I put some bee plants like nepeta near the zucchini patch too. And there's a lot of watering to do. Planted lettuce, lamb's lettuce and some sorrel and basil too.

I go out twice a day during the weekdays. An hour at lunch - walking through the nearby woods and staffing in the park. I go out staffing again in a local park in the evening too.

On weekends I tend to go to the main park in town which is a 30 min walk each way, and staff there for a couple of hours in the morning. I then usually go to my local park in the evening to staff for another hour or so.

I prefer it when the weather is a bit cooler. But getting 10-15+ hours exercise outdoors a week is a real positive.

Ed

Here's another video that I had uploaded almost 12 months ago when I went for a walk around the television towers and at the same time having fun filming myself with the Hacktivist Guy Fawkes mask on.

At least once everyday or I can't stand it. Unless I am so totally ill someway that I must stay in bed.
Even in my bedroom I have a large window almost as big as the wall.
I can see trees outside, and the sky at night.

I have an outdoor, screen enclosed pool. There I keep plants and frogs and a bit of nature finds it's
way in. Orb weaver spiders, anoles, geckos, and a few true chameleons.
I can't walk well right now due to knee and back problems, but, I can at least get out by the pool and
take care of the plants and frogs.
I raise butterflies out there too.
A lot of birds nesting and baby birds around there also.

If I go out into nature I have a walking staff. Really helps.
fortlonesome 006.JPG

I am out several times a week, usually canoeing, bicycling, or hiking. Have had to cut back on how strenuous I take things. Those following any of my posts have seen that I will be getting an intercranial stent placed this Thursday (I'm a little scared) that will allow me to get back to normal without risking a TIA, or worse. I especially like the opportunities for wilderness Whitewater trips. My last was 5 days on the Green River through Desolation and Gray canyons in a solo, high performance, inflatable.

Last week visited Tahquamenon Falls for some hiking. The second largest waterfall East of the Mississippi.
upper falls pano IMG_3702 3.jpeg

Last edited:
I must get out once per day, lest I go mad.

Usually driving. I'm in the US Midwest, where the weather is just inherently chaotic. Often it's either too hot, too cold, too wet, too frozen, or just too stupid to do things like hiking. When I do go hiking I sometimes take photos though. It's hard to find truly interesting places though. I mean, after exploring some rather silly amount of forests, they do start to blend together.
There are more than forests to explore and ways to do it. I've found that interests, or even citizen science provides ways to explore.
20210515_132839.jpg

I was raised wild in the desert. We would often take long road trips. We were very poor, so it usually had a climax of an alternator or belt blowing and then hanging out in a motel in a hot dusty town for about a week before we continued. My favorite trips were when we would go up to my childhood home of the Humboldt Redwoods. I love the misty cool air under the ancient trees.

My teen years and early twenties were punctuated with hitchhiking trips, road trips, and Greyhound rides. Feeling the wind of the cool coastline without a penny in my pocket. Lonely aspie trips as a girl, not realizing how vulnerable I really was, but feeling so free and so full of hope. I've seen many great places and met incredible characters from the lowest class of America. I know where to hide on a freight train, and how to read some hobo symbols.

I'm in a wheelchair now, so I can't ride in a regular automobile right now. Only busses and trains. I miss driving. When we had our car, I would wake my daughter up at 2 am, and say something like "Hey, wanna go to the beach?" or "Hey wanna go to Eugene?" or "Hey, wanna go to California?" etc. We were having an especially crappy time during my chemo and during a normal car ride across town, I turned left onto the highway and kept driving til we got to the Seattle Waterfront, several hundred miles away.

After my gypsy childhood, I can't stay in one place for very long. I hate being tied down to this apartment in this awful rioter-ruled city. I need out and I need out soon. I don't know where we'll go, but it'll be a "left turn onto the highway and keep going" kind of trip.

During cancer convalescence, I spend hours each week on Google Maps, taking amazing journeys in my head, and reliving my past.

Maps and atlases are my happy place, and seeing the places on the maps, practically my idea of heaven.

Last edited:
@Gerald Wilgus
A few days ago I removed the oilseed from the easily accessible feeders. Because of this rascal.*

I live literally in the middle of a town in between a huge wilderness area and a national
forest. Hopefully the bears will find all they need up-country this summer. In autumn I remove all food, & don’t replace until well into Spring.

2E44B989-F85D-466F-9591-F5AA91E84798.jpeg

Most medium to small critters have learned to be wary of the feeder when I put it out. For the past couple of years a red tail hawk has learned that it is a spot to pick up a snack. We also get a cooper's hawk that enjoys the fat, slow mourning doves. I'm making a couple of owl boxes to put at the edge of a field and hope I can attract something to eat the mice.

There are more than forests to explore and ways to do it. I've found that interests, or even citizen science provides ways to explore.

Kinda depends on where you are though.

Around here there's grass, roads, farms, grassy roads, roads near some grass, farms surrounded by grassy roads, and every now and then, a clump of trees. I say "forest" but in many cases I'm genuinely not sure if they're big enough to count. This entire region really is pretty much grass. You can drive for many hours in pretty much any direction and that's all you get... grass. Unless you drive in one very specific direction for a couple of hours, then you get Chicago instead, and just thinking about that place makes me want a shower.

Needless to say I've never been fond of this area. If I'm going to do any real exploring (on foot) it's going to be when I'm down in Florida or something.

Kinda depends on where you are though.

Around here there's grass, roads, farms, grassy roads, roads near some grass, farms surrounded by grassy roads, and every now and then, a clump of trees. I say "forest" but in many cases I'm genuinely not sure if they're big enough to count. This entire region really is pretty much grass. You can drive for many hours in pretty much any direction and that's all you get... grass. Unless you drive in one very specific direction for a couple of hours, then you get Chicago instead, and just thinking about that place makes me want a shower.

Needless to say I've never been fond of this area. If I'm going to do any real exploring (on foot) it's going to be when I'm down in Florida or something.
Some of the most beautiful grasslands I've ever visited were in Nebraska. The Sand Hills region is awe inspiring. And, people dismiss it as flyover country. Fools. Gotta try watersports in Florida. Canoeing or kayaking around springs is nice, but my favorite is squeezing through mangrove tunnels. Once on Cayo Costa, found a very saline lagoon that contained upside-down jellyfish. Gotta watch the tides, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom