• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many obsessions?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
How many obsessions do you currently have at the present time? What is the most and least amount of obsessions you have had at any one time? Finally, how many obsessions have you had in total overall?

At the moment I have about 3 almost 4, but some take up more time than others. The least I've had at one time is about 1 or 2. Since I started having obsessions age 2 I've had 17 including the ones I have now. I usually have a few at a time.

Perhaps if we defined obsessions, a bit? I mean, if I'm unemployed and looking relentlessly for a job... Is that an obsession? If I'm writing a comedic play and I keep trying to bring it up in discussions with NT's in order to test my jokes... Is that (gulp) an obsession? If a girl I attend classes with has marvelous breasts and I think about them often when I wish to calm myself... is this an obsession?

When dealing with obsessions, I often think of lines from movies or books when a character bumps into another character they haven't seen in years and then the first characters says "There hasn't been a day that's past when I haven thought of [insert traumatic life-altering event here]."

If we go by that standard I really haven't bothered counting my obsessions.

What if I'm one of those chronic masterbators? Or I have to have my coffee before anybody talks to me? Or I can't bear it when someone sneaks up behind me while I'm typing and puts their hands on my shoulders when I've only known them casually for like a couple of years...

Now you've got me obsessing about obsessions. I need to go lie down, now.

The number of obsessions I have right now is 8. All of them revolve around movies. The most I've had at one time is the number I have at present, and the least amount was 1. The total number of obsessions I've had is 18. I'm mostly counting those that I've had for 6 months or longer.

I have 4 obsessions right now. The Kinks, my health, Routemasters and London. The same obsessions that I had before 2007. Go figure!:radar:

In another thread, I listed 26 different leisurely interests,* but in reality many of these interests are accessory to my main ones. From that perspective, I would say that I have about eight interest clusters:
  • Math & Logic,
  • Drafting,
  • The Human Figure (and other eye candy),
  • Linguistics,
  • Music (choral background, dabble in instruments + I'd like to try karaoke, someday)
  • Bicycling,
  • Aerodynamic Toys (I'd like to try disc golf, someday) and
  • Twice Exceptionality (in an NT world)
I have always had interests in all of these areas as long as I can remember.

*I am devoted to my relationships, too, but they are not arbitrary.

Last edited:
Honestly I've only ever been able to have one "primary" special interest at a time. And some "secondary" ones that can come and go but I relate to more casually, without some intense sense of commitment associated with it, and often when I am taking a break with my primary. But I've always been one of those put all of my energy into one thing at a time types. Either that or I simply have never had enough energy to spread around.

It's funny because when I was first introduced to the concept of polyamory, my gut reaction was who the heck has enough energy to go around for that? Definitely not me. I don't even have the energy to handle one relationship at a time.

With all the mathematical books I lost count :D

Kidding,I have around 5 obsessions at a time :)

1-Always my Computer
2-Reading Military-History/Facts Online
3-Exercising
4-(Trying to)Stay Positive in Negative circumstances
5-Video games,playing at least 30 minutes a day.

I do not really have a wide range of obsessions so I guest most I had would be 5-6

I have one to two core obsessions and sometimes several minor peripheral ones, but if I am really into my main obsessions I don't always have time for anything else. At the moment my two main obsessions are learning Danish and photography.

In another thread, I listed 26 different leisurely interests,* but in reality many of these interests are accessory to my main ones. From that perspective, I would say that I have about eight interest clusters:
  • Math & Logic,
  • Drafting,
  • The Human Figure (and other eye candy),
  • Linguistics,
  • Music (choral background, dabble in instruments + I'd like to try karaoke, someday)
  • Bicycling,
  • Aerodynamic Toys (I'd like to try disc golf, someday) and
  • Twice Exceptionality (in an NT world)
I have always had interests in all of these areas as long as I can remember.

*I am devoted to my relationships, too, but they are not arbitrary.

I was obsessed with linguistics for a while too LOL. After all the books I read I still can't get rid of Canadian Raising.

I was obsessed with linguistics for a while too LOL.
I have been a bit pick-and-choose in this field. My favorite sub-topics have been Etymology, Onomastics, Neology and Phonetics (when studying Speech Synthesis). It is also helpful in Cryptanalysis.

I ended up coining two of my daughters' middle names: Nissiah & Joshana (though the latter has been independently coined elsewhere). Their first names (Maranatha & Shiloh) were rare, too, before becoming a celebrity baby name.

Hi! I usually only have one obsession at a time, and I'm always consumed with a burning passion for it... until I move on to the the next obsession, for which I'm then consumed with a burning passion. My brother could never understand that about me, he thought I was nuts and mentally unstable. My current passion is clothing. I'm enjoying putting together interesting outfits that I can wear out. Some of them are a little funky, perhaps, but at least I don't look like everyone else, and my friend (I only have one friend and she has paranoid schizophrenia... it's not pleasant) enjoys seeing what I'm going to be wearing next.

Am obsessed with cleaning. I actually love cleaning house. When I was a kid, we had roaches and I hated them and I vowed to never ever have roaches again and I don't.

New Threads

Top Bottom