• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How is Asperger's syndrome Diagnosed?

Oh and yes, there are a couple of "tests" that are used to decide if a person falls within the autism spectrum. But they are not stand alone nor are they as definitive as say, a blood test. They are open to interpretation and frankly, are only as accurate as the person who administered and then scored them. I recently saw a kid given the Asperger's diagnosis by a professional who is not qualified to do so - yes, they gave the correct tests but, quite frankly, their scoring of the test displayed a gross lack of understanding of the biases inherent in the particular test they gave. Their diagnosis was waaaay off the mark - but it took an experienced professional eye to discern that the results had been scored incorrectly and were, therefore, invalid!

whether you call it Asperger's or the new "Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder" (per DSM-V)

Actually from what I have read, roughly 6% of those diagnosed with Asperger's would be diagnosed as SCD under DSM-V, most will fall under ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), you are otherwise on the right track though. I think a lot of people recognize that it is no longer a diagnosis under the DSM, but they relate with the diagnosis I suppose.

When I was first diagnosed, I didn't even know what Asperger's was. I'd heard of it but had no idea what it was.

I sustained a very serious shoulder injury at work and was off for a long time. During that time, they thought I was depressed and suicidal so they sent me off to a top notch psychiatrist. He 'picked it up' in me. That was back in 2007. I dismissed and forgot about the diagnosis until I saw another psychiatrist in 2013 about depression and he diagnosed me with it also.

After 2 separate psychiatrists came up with the same diagnosis, it became rather difficult to ignore or deny.

Now I know what Asperger's is, I can clearly see why both came up with the diagnosis.

Don't worry what's involved. Whatever is meant to be will be. Just let it happen and R E L A X ! ! !

Actually from what I have read, roughly 6% of those diagnosed with Asperger's would be diagnosed as SCD under DSM-V, most will fall under ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), you are otherwise on the right track though. I think a lot of people recognize that it is no longer a diagnosis under the DSM, but they relate with the diagnosis I suppose.
Not sure where you grabbed your stats so cannot agree or disagree. However, an essential part of the new DSM-V diagnosis for ASD includes repetitive behaviors, and rates their severity and uses that as an essential part of the severity rating of the person's autism. In my personal and professional experience, very few Aspies had much in the way of what would be categorized as repetitive behaviors when they were toddlers - basically, real "stimming" behaviors: hand flaps, rocking, etc. Those behaviors typically exist within (and are now essential to) a true "Autism" diagnosis, rather than in an "Asperger's" diagnosis.
But that's just my experience. I don't have any stats or numbers to back it up.
As far as what to call it? I think it only becomes a problem when you are talking to someone within the medical community and/or someone involved in insurance billing. Because if the "label" doesn't line up with an accepted "billing code", you're out of luck.

Not sure where you grabbed your stats so cannot agree or disagree

It was on a site called "science daily", they had done a study on the new DSM last year and those were the numbers they found. However I don't know the criteria they used, what you are saying does make a lot of sense though.

New Threads

Top Bottom