• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How forgetful are you?

"Thumb drive" is a memory stick that you can put in a USB port. It is an external memory/drive.

Notepad is a simple Windows where can type notes. If you save it to the above, you can easily remove it from your computer so others cannot read it.
Thanks for the info

I'm very forgetful. Doesn't help that I'm usually not paying attention when being spoken to either. Especially when it's about subjects I'm not interested in: such as 99% of conversations at work.

In the office I try to set reminders or lists to stay fairly organised. However, organisational skills have never been my strong suit. Whilst I can be thorough in my lists and planning; almost to the of being obssessive - these moments of enthusiasm are short lived and once I burn out I'm back to my old forgetful ways.

Ed

Whilst I can be thorough in my lists and planning; almost to the of being obssessive - these moments of enthusiasm are short lived (and possess the potential to become counterproductive distractions unto themselves) and once I burn out I'm back to my old forgetful ways.

Ed

So, does that addition sound about right for your experience? I'm testing my psychic powers.

(or you know, just projecting my experience on to you because I'm willing to bet it's something a lot of us can relate to...)

They lists can be counterproductive as they are distracting, or they cause stress and potentially anxiety when I see the unmanageable workload mounting.

I used to do overtime to help manage my workday better. An hour or 2 before I started when the office was empty was the perfect time to get things done which required absolute focus.

Then my manager said I was doing too much overtime. I couldn't justify doing it unpaid. So I started working normal hours, and the stress has steadily built since. Thankfully with the lockdown things are temporarily quieter and the office is running on a skeleton staff. Right now I'm in the good times, but within a fortnight it'll be back to normal and the stress will rise once more.

During office hours it's very stop/start. Too many audible distractions, and having to drop everything at a moments notice when you get a call, email or request to get something done.

Ed

They lists can be counterproductive as they are distracting, or they cause stress and potentially anxiety when I see the unmanageable workload mounting.

That's what I run into, especially with like tasks around the house. I'll end up fixating on making a list and organizing only to realize I don't have time to even do half of it both because the time I wasted on the list and just being over-ambitious and overestimating what I can do in a given time.

With house chores I tend to do a bit here and there. I can get it all done in one go but it feels uncomfortable doing it nonstop for hours on end. However, if I break it up into 2 or 3 lots in a day or 2 then it's a lot more manageable.

Ed

Yes, I m disorganised and forgetful, I go upstairs for, oh what was it? Then remember, then put it down somewhere because I see something else or do a task, then go downstairs and, oh, forgot the thing I went upstairs for... keeps me fit though.

I used a lot of lists and a diary at work, which helped, and my email was like a kind of non integral addition to my memory, I would just trawl it for the parts I d forgotten about whatever... I think age is a factor now too, names of people and things escape me a lot.

Forgetfulness is due to impaired long-term memory recall which is a common symptom in autism. It's why when I was in school I found multiple choice tests easy (which rely on recognition memory) but did poorly on fill in the blank and essay tests (which rely on memory recall).

I am in fact, so forgetful that almost every time I click on a Forum Game, I have to look at the top to remind myself what game I'm playing, because I forgot.

I don't know what accepting it means exactly. If it's acknowledge that I don't have perfect memory? Sure, and handle it the best I can. Imperfect but there's not much I can do about being imperfect, the world made me this way, right? It's the world's fault :)

I do set online or phone reminders for certain stuff that's not an everyday occurrence. I have a paper/pen chart to check off, for supplements so I don't overdose or just forget to take them. I have a grocery list that I add to when I think of it, or I'll forget by the time I go to the store. I'm not rigid about a schedule but make sure to do certain house cleaning stuff pretty much on a certain day.

As for conversations though, I often have trouble remembering what someone said to me (or why), especially if what's important is kind of buried. Same with reading stuff, I have practically zero reading comprehension/memory. But it depends, sometimes I'm fine with either of those, other times coffee or a nap help, or yet other times there is no helping my forgetfulness, I just wait for it to pass. Like take a nap, or try another day or something.

It's an impossible question to answer as everyone has a different standard for their own standard of forgetfulness.

In this case, "how" is a qualifier. I could say I am very forgetful because to me, not remembering every single detail of anything defines being forgetful. Another person could say they have a great memory because to their standard they remember enough to function. In this case, I could have a better memory but answer in the negative due to may own predisposition on the definition of the term in question.

To add to that, if you really forget a lot, you may be the last one to know.

Seems like l have a lot of silliness in my life but my memory seems pretty current with what's going down when.....

Well, sometimes I forget what I'm doing half the time, and sometimes I forget what I'm doing half the time, and sometimes, I just forget what I'm doing half the time.

Why am I here? WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

Oh I almost should share a picture of my phone daily calendar. I have sooooooooo many reminders daily, to do things like get dressed, brush teeth, prepare this for work, ect... The second I know I need to remember something I put it on the calendar, even the most trivial things, because I know relying on my memory is a bad BAD plan

If you are the type that has to put a reminder in their phone for everything and then still forget, we are very much alike. :p

Do you accept this inevitably or do something about it?

I have to put my phone, wallet and car keys in my lunch box so I don't lose them. I did lose my spare car key though. I often walk in somewhere to look for a specific item and have forgotten what it is. I usually go back to where I was when I needed the thing and once I see what I was working on etc. it usually comes back to me what I needed. It's pretty annoying when I forget things.

I have to put my phone, wallet and car keys in my lunch box so I don't lose them. I did lose my spare car key though. I often walk in somewhere to look for a specific item and have forgotten what it is. I usually go back to where I was when I needed the thing and once I see what I was working on etc. it usually comes back to me what I needed. It's pretty annoying when I forget things.

Time to purchase Neville's Remembral. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom