• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How forgetful are you?

SimplyWandering

If you are the type that has to put a reminder in their phone for everything and then still forget, we are very much alike. :p

Do you accept this inevitably or do something about it?

My short term memory is very bad. I can remember things that happened 70 years ago, but I can not remember what I had for breakfast. For me, I believe that this is age related. Even three or four years ago, it was not as bad as it is now. I do not put reminders in my phone, but I do write myself notes.

If you are the type that has to put a reminder in their phone for everything and then still forget, we are very much alike. :p

I saw the title of this thread and immediately knew I had to reply. What was the subject?

I am extremely forgetful. There is nothing I can do. If I use reminders and notes, an alarm on my watch, all of it for one thing, I still forget. It is very bad and stops me from doing so many things. It is 'working memory' I have a problem with. I seem to be able to remember technical specs and some formulas well. When I was 10 I heard that DMSO is dimethyl sulfoxide. I have never forgotten it. When I was six we moved into a new house and my brothers poured powder from a white box that said TSP in thick black letters and under that the words "trisodium phosphate". I have never forgotten that.

Practical things I cannot remember. I usually do not know if I have eaten or gone to the bathroom, the season, the year, my age etcetera. It is difficult to live with this problem.

I am extremely forgetful. There is nothing I can do. If I use reminders and notes, an alarm on my watch, all of it for one thing, I still forget. It is very bad and stops me from doing so many things. It is 'working memory' I have a problem with. I seem to be able to remember technical specs and some formulas well. When I was 10 I heard that DMSO is dimethyl sulfoxide. I have never forgotten it. When I was six we moved into a new house and my brothers poured powder from a white box that said TSP in thick black letters and under that the words "trisodium phosphate". I have never forgotten that.

Practical things I cannot remember. I usually do not know if I have eaten or gone to the bathroom, the season, the year, my age etcetera. It is difficult to live with this problem.

Sorry grommet, that's gotta to be hard. My current position is complete memory and people get upset if l am not fast. So it's memory on speed. Without coffee, l couldn't eek out a living. My boss was checking everything l did so l was on warp drive and jet propulsion.

I prefer to do something about it. After I found out it was due to something called mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), I chose to avoid things that triggered my mast cells which in my case are stress, milk, high histamine foods, and pollen. Stress is the biggest trigger and best treated with CBT. The other triggers are different for each person.

I explain in my blog how MCAS causes autism at What causes autism and how to "recover" from it if anyone is interested.

If you want to hear a world renown expert explain how MCAS causes autism, watch these videos:

Can't remember if I have said this before or not but until I forget why I am in the bathroom it isn't a big deal.

I'm Speeding Because...
full

I forget what I'm doing when I'm doing it. And then I forget that.

It leads to confusion and alot of weird actions.

Lost my keychain once. Just couldnt figure out where it was. Lots of angry searching.

Where was it? In my other hand.

Also it's 3 feet long and has musical bits.

Yes, I'm THAT spacey. And that's all in addition to not knowing where stuff is, when something happened, what year it is, or stuff like that.

I never took notes in school because I"d space out when doing it, and then I wouldnt look at the bloody things anyway as I wouldnt know I'd taken said notes. The whole "not giving a crap" bit didnt help. And then homework... what homework? Not that any of that nonsense was worth remembering in the first place.

Incidentally, I typed this up an hour ago and forgot to hit "post". Sigh.

Asymmetrically. I can flawlessly recite books I read once in first grade and take on teams of fifty people in Trivial Pursuit and win, but I've lost track of how many phone calls I've started with "Hi, I'm... wait, who am I again?".

I forget what I'm doing when I'm doing it. And then I forget that.

It leads to confusion and alot of weird actions.

Lost my keychain once. Just couldnt figure out where it was. Lots of angry searching.

Where was it? In my other hand.

Also it's 3 feet long and has musical bits.

Yes, I'm THAT spacey. And that's all in addition to not knowing where stuff is, when something happened, what year it is, or stuff like that.

I never took notes in school because I"d space out when doing it, and then I wouldnt look at the bloody things anyway as I wouldnt know I'd taken said notes. The whole "not giving a crap" bit didnt help. And then homework... what homework? Not that any of that nonsense was worth remembering in the first place.

Incidentally, I typed this up an hour ago and forgot to hit "post". Sigh.

I still like the making the sandwich without the bread story.☺

New Threads

Top Bottom