• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do Aspies celebrate Valentine's Day?

The last time I had to worry about Valentine's Day it went badly, as I forgot it was also her birthday, which made forgetting so much worse

After a decade I am now faced with remembering it this year, however, my partner is an aspie and may just as likely forget or say 'it doesn't matter honey'. But wait, she is also female and sixty years has taught me that when a female says 'it doesn't matter' you'd best believe it is the most important thing ever and forgetting will see you sleeping outside for a year.

Dilemma :eek:
Haha, you've mastered it all perfectly Harrison! :p The one good thing is that the older we get the more we forget too & that can be a good thing! Like the year my hubby & I both forgot our anniversary! Make it a new tradition to forget together!! :D

It's the only holiday I outright hate. I see it as a long-standing tradition to get laid without any emotional attachment to who you're banging, so long as you jump on the bandwagon. Then the one year I wanted to actually celebrate Valentines' after I married, my psychotic mother-in-law wanted all the grandchildren dressed as Chippendale dancers for a stupid photograph, and saw to it was I was threatened with physical violence and homelessness if because I didn't comply and focused instead on making a hot supper for my husband who at the time was working himself into the ground to keep the bills paid. So, no, I do not celebrate the holiday and I'd be much happier if it didn't exist.

AsheSkyler your motherinlaw is missing a few sandwiches from the picnic basket I have never heard of such a stupid thing. Valentines day is supposed to be about true love..and can be very nice if done properly. I may not be good at remembering stuff, but I see nothing wrong with trying to make ones girl happy.:)

I was in a store and saw a sign that said 'The 14th is Valentines day'. So I quick bought a box of candy for my partner and was so proud I remembered! I have difficulty remembering special days.

She said 'Thanks! But its 14 January. Valentines Day is next month.'

I've been wondering if my 'close friend' might appreciate such a gesture.. too soon? I'm not sure.. but, although I'm not a subscriber to the consumer culture, upon reading this thread I'm gonna go with choccies and a card a day early, as I won't see her on Saturday, just to make her smile (I hope)..
I'll just blame you all if it goes pear shaped :p

It's not always about us, though. If your partner things V-Day is important, then you should do something. More problems happen when we don't honor our partners. I think the real question here to ask is: WHAT DOES YOUR PARNTER EXPECT ON VALENTINES DAY? and then do that. By not honoring his or her wish, you run the risk of upsetting the relationship. Worse, you'll feel awful if she comes home and has a wonderful gift for you, and there you are with nothing except the excuse that you don't celebrate the "hallmark" holidays. Don't be selfish! Do what your partner wants, or pay the price of her wrath.

That's just my humble opinion...but been there, that's why I know it's best to go along... ;)

Valentine's Day for me translates into "Listen to thrash metal all day to escape the rubbish of this horrid day and be pissed off day."

Being fairly new at marriage, every day is a little like Valentines day to me! But having said that, I like the premise that different love styles exist. There are all sorts of quizzes on line to determine what you and your partner's love style is, and that helps to find the right thing to do! I am not a person who expects chocolates and flowers. What I do like is unexpected kindnesses, like the other night my DH picked up some of my favorite fruit for me on the way home from work. I have always despised Valentines day, because I was alone so long. But I have always enjoyed the day after sales on chocolates!:D

Been celebrating Valentine's Day by going to work, suffering gastric distress, and lying on my bed with my computer on my lap surfing the web.

theodd1sout-comics-valentine%27s-day-2856750.png

I sent a Teletubby Valentine card to the man [& his wife]
who was my father's business partner. ♥

I don't eat chocolate. I am allergic to chocolate. ♥

I made a 'sweet message maker' generator. ♥
http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=12845

sample =
"The sincerity of my feelings for you equal the reality of Hydrogenated High Maltose Content Glucose Syrup."
I may be mildly allergic to chocolate :candybar:like cats :cat: but I love them too much to give them up. So I put up with the occasional chocolate headache and cat itchy hands.

A couple of dozen friends around the world join me in celebrating an alternative holiday.

I usually spend Valentine's Day alone. This year is was the first Valentine's I had after I got married and seeing as the husband lives an ocean and a continent away from, I spend it at someone's birthday party. We might start celebrating it starting next year, but up till now nothing really ever happens.

I don't really do Valentine's Day. My boyfriend and I only send an email or exchange a phone call. That is it. Nothing fancy, just simple. We tell each other that we love each other and that is it.

Well
I DID NOT EVEN GET DRESSED :) ;0 :) ;) Well apart from changing my night clothes at bed time ha ha
All in all a nice lazy day and reflecting on all the valentines gone past... some of which were shite and some of which were super duper amazing :)

I bought my wife a nice card and flowers. We went to dinner that evening. I am not to big on holidays, but my wife is. So I do what makes her happy. Happy wife-happy life.

New Threads

Top Bottom