• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How are you with sarcasm?

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Personally, although I can be sarcastic, I'm quite bad at detecting when other people use it. However, I'm not completely blind to sarcasm. I think part-sighted to sarcasm would be a more accurate description.

Usually it helps if I know what someone's thoughts are to whatever they are being sarcastic about. So, if someone hates maths and suddenly says "Wow, I just love maths" then I'd know they were being sarcastic based on deduction. But if they said that and I didn't already know their opinion on maths, then I'd probably find it harder to tell.

I can be pretty bad at spotting it unfortunately unless the person doing it goes really overt signals, like pulling faces or making big gestures. If someone is deadpan about it, especially if I don't know them very well it can go right over my head and I look like a right pillock for taking them seriously!

I appreciate sarcasm, but it only works if you know the real context - the people and the situation. My own humor can be very snide, so cutting humor gets my attention.

I do sarcasm plenty. I'm better at picking it up, however, if I'm familiar with the person already. Stranger on the street? Probably miss it. Friend I've known for years & know is sarcastic? Pretty good at it. I think it just requires a level of familiarity to detect it reliably.

Making sarcastic comments myself is a difficult one. I only do it with people I know extremely well indeed - people who will readily accept an apology if I've misread the situation. I've quite a serious and deadpan manner about me so it's not always obvious that I'm trying to be humourous.

I fit into the stereotype with this one. :oops: I take everything literally, but a lot of the time statements are so ridiculous that I can figure it out, but the initial comprehension is literal. It's what I imagine it'd be like to translate something from one language to another. And in situations where the sarcasm or statement is not completely ridiculous, I will not get it 95% of the time. This is one of the things about me that makes me feel the most freakish, I think. :confused: I tried researching "how to tell when someone is joking" but I don't think it helped. :eek:

I too have difficulty with sarcasm directed towards myself. Especially when it's just text. Where I just can't seem to process it properly and inevitably surmise that I've been insulted. And subsequently I just tend to ignore whatever was said.

Since coming to an understanding of why this happens, it has made me much more reluctant to create outgoing sarcasm. Still frustrating, but at least I understand why.

I can be good at giving it, if I want to. A lot depends on my mood at the time and who it is.
As far as taking it, sometimes I get it, especially when the person smirks or gives one of those Luigi's mentioned in another thread. :D
But, being one to take things literal, I've even answered in a matter of fact way before I realise it was
a sarcastic remark.
I don't let it bother me unless it really is offensive.

I can be pretty bad at spotting it unfortunately unless the person doing it goes really overt signals, like pulling faces or making big gestures. If someone is deadpan about it, especially if I don't know them very well it can go right over my head and I look like a right pillock for taking them seriously!
Yes, me too. I think that the latter are sometimes people who use that style of sarcasm as a way to control people. I don't feel very comfy around people who enjoy seeing me confused. I quite like sarcasm if it accompanied by over the top body language or if it is used in a funny way to describe polar opposites. I think i use sarcasm this way. I have been accused of being sarcastic myself...(when angry) and I don't think I am, I think I am actually saying what I really think, and my truth is best received if they think i'm just being sarcastic. :D Um...nope ;)

I think I am actually saying what I really think, and my truth is best received if they think i'm just being sarcastic

That! 110% I've had that done to me so many times. I've been trying to make a point about something very serious, potentially damaging and people have laughed as if I've cracked a joke. I came to much the same conclusion as yourself.
Another example is when someone doesn't understand the language I've used. I'm well read and have a good vocabulary but I have a habit of using words in spoken communication which are often normally only used in written form (you know the statistic that most people only use around 10-20% of the words they would understand on the page in oral communication). So I'll use a word they don't know or in a context which is unfamiliar to them and I get a quizzical look, a blatant attempt to understand which demonstrates their lack of comprehension, or laughter.
Of course there's the other occasional response of "so you think you're clever 'cuz you know some big words"

People! MEH!

I'm great at being sarcastic, but not so good at detecting it. I find it really hard to tell whether someone is being serious or is joking. Family members or other kids, knowing I had this weakness, used to deliberately wind me up when I was a kid.

Depends on the context.

If someone is being sarky to me, I tend not to pick up on it straight away anyway, but I do have a quite wicked sense of humour myself.

Weirdly enough I don't have much of a problem with either detecting sarcasm or being able to be sarcastic - though sometimes my flat voice doesn't quite deliver it well enough.

I put this down to my first language being Russian - and the way Russians converse is with about 85% sarcasm in everyday speech, so I just automatically expect it.

What gets me are puns in English. For the longest time I didn't understand them at all and I still sometimes miss them - I automatically see the real meaning of a phrase and not the weird twisted double meaning. I have to go back, re-read and think for a minute before I get it... and then I'm like ... why is it relevant to have that meaning on something completely unrelated... English people are weird.

Last edited:
I think of sarcasm as a defense.
So when I hear/see people using sarcasm
or saying that they pride themselves on the
ability to be sarcastic, I think of them
as displaying a feeling of weakness.
[a sense of being attacked and needing to defend onself]

Scan_20180907 (3).jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom