• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How are you with sarcasm?

As a kid, I was often bad at spotting sarcasm. Now, I am good at it. I also tend to be a sarcastic person but am fighting the tendency as it really is a reflection on how I feel about myself.

I can usually understand sarcasm IF I know the person well. For example, if a family member or friend says something sarcastic, I can pick up on subtle facial expressions and tone of voice to tell. I know this rarely happens when you have Aspergers, but I can if I know the person well.
But if I don't, I'm terrible at it. I don't really get offended much about misinterpreted sarcasm, because I assume it was a misunderstanding. Even if it isn't, whatever.
As for delivering sarcasm, the same applies. If whoever I'm talking to doesn't know me well, let's just say the result can be on the edge of disastrous.
But if they know me well then it's usually fine.

I learned the art of sarcasim, but like yourself, only if I know the reason, can I detect it is sarcasm, but other than that, my husband is always saying: darling, I was not being serious and my brother said the same.

It can be terribly embarrassing to not get when one is joking or being sarcastic, but saying that, I am too often sarcastic myself and to a certain extent, I can read my husband's voice and look, to know when he is about to say some wind up or something, but if I did not see it, I would believe him.

In a situation where one person is sarcastic to another, I like to think that in the event there is nothing but a long silence, that the person delivering their sarcasm is more likely the one to be embarrassed.

Forcing them to rethink what they said, and whether it was truly appropriate to begin with.

That sarcasm can fail in either direction. ;)

One time when we were at a restaurant my mother asked me what I wanted to drink, and I either said "I think I'll just have a beer", or "Let me have a look at the wine list". We both had a good laugh because we know I don't drink alcohol.

The other day when I was about to do my food shopping some guy asks me if I'm going into the grocery store, and I thought to myself "No, I'm going insane, care to join me?":laughing:

New Threads

Top Bottom