• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How are Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Different?

When In Rome

I found this piece on Autism Speaks. I had read an article and was curious to find out more. Myself, I am diagnosed HFA and have often wondered what the difference is between HFA and AS. When I am in group with younger males with AS I connect perfectly with them. If the two conditions are so close, is there a need to separate them?

How are Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Different?

The primary difference is that a diagnosis of HFA requires that, early in development, the child had delayed language whereas in AS, the child did not show a significant delay in language development.

I wasn't diagnosed until mid-thirties which sometimes I find odd but do realise that with such varying degrees of behaviours and that I was a child in the 1970's then maybe it is understandable how I did not receive a specific diagnosis before. Added to which, Asperger Syndrome was not officially recognised as a medical condition until the 1990's.

But I am interested to know, when I was reading an article that said a person was diagnosed with HFA at aged two, whether this was at all possible even?

Could such specifics, which would include social integration. be considered and brought to a diagnosis so early? I would be interested to know as there are many of us older auties diagnosed later in life.

According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), children with Asperger Syndrome find it difficult to identify and express their feelings, just like those with HFA. They find it challenging to connect with others, often don't hold eye contact and have trouble reading other people's faces and gestures. Many children with AS flap their hands, a behavior often associated with classic autism; speak without much emotion (or have otherwise unusual speech patterns), need to follow schedules rigidly, and are intensely, even obsessively, interested in one specific subject, so much that they become veritable experts in that field. They also exhibit sensitivities to various stimuli, from sounds to clothing to food items.

I have read similar before and know that the above certainly fits me to a tee. Some people have said before that I appear to be more classically autistic (to them, as professionals in the field so I am talking support workers and carers here).

Of course it is possible to have been misdiagnosed and who knows, maybe I should be in the Asperger pond but even if I question this, I go back to my original question which is the differences between HFA and AS being so similar, should there not be just one diagnosis group?

I feel certain this has been raised before but who knows how long ago so forgive me, time for a refresh discussion? I look forward to reading replies.

The short answer is they (the professional community) don't really know what or why the differences between individuals on the spectrum. They have classified/categorized certain symptoms or behaviors into groups. I.e. This set-severity of symptoms = HFA, this other set = .... But spectrum is applicable in the sense that it is a continuum without separation and overlap between these groups. For most people "spectrum" implies a 1 or 2 dimensional space, but 3 or 4 dimensional models are probably more representative of human neurology/psychology/behavior.

I'm not sure where you are the DSM-5 removed AS and reclassified it in with all other autism spectrum. Not all countries have adopted the DSM5, however.

I've been looking for answers myself as I'm also officially diagnosed with HFA, even though it's all being condensed down to simply "Autism Spectrum Disorder" now (in the US that I know of).

The primary difference I see is language and/or speech: late development equates to HFA; early, normal or near normal nets you Asperger's. Both also seem to be associated with at least normal intelligence, hence the "high-functioning" modifier, but even that turns into a matter of debate in some circles.

The rest of it seems to be up in the air, and I'm tired at this point of sifting through opinions and information just to get a clearer picture. Really makes my head spin sometimes when people start splitting hairs, so I just cut to the chase with "on the spectrum" or "ASD" and leave it at that.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'll elaborate on such a thing only when the global medical community decides to get onto the same page with a concise understanding and explanation. Otherwise at times it's almost like debating economics. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I'll elaborate on such a thing only when the global medical community decides to get onto the same page with a concise understanding and explanation. Otherwise at times it's almost like debating economics. :rolleyes:

No kidding there :) I got a diagnosis of "Asperger's Disorder" from one shrink and an official diagnosis of "autistic disorder, high-functioning" from another when my early development was revealed. Which one is it? Can't they make up their minds? Does it matter? :confused:

I can't just be another brick in the wall, oh no...

No kidding there :) I got a diagnosis of "Asperger's Disorder" from one shrink and "autistic disorder, high-functioning" from another when my early development was revealed. Which one is it? Can't they make up their minds? Does it matter? :confused:

Nothing like an entire professional medical community who doesn't really have the answers and above all else isn't willing to admit it. Small wonder so many of us pursue self-diagnosis as a result.

All made worse if and when politicians and insurers are able to influence the entire process to control costs and generate political capital.

I've been looking for answers myself as I'm also officially diagnosed with HFA, even though it's all being condensed down to simply "Autism Spectrum Disorder" now (in the US that I know of).

This has happened to me too. I have seen it on forms/documents. Not HFA but ASD sometimes.

I'd still like to know however if it's really possible to be diagnosed aged two with, particularly, HFA as it seems implausible to me, given the range of factors involved.

This has happened to me too. I have seen it on forms/documents. Not HFA but ASD sometimes.

I'd still like to know however if it's really possible to be diagnosed aged two with, particularly, HFA as it seems implausible to me, given the range of factors involved.

At only age two? Yikes. That's FAR too early for anyone to be making assumptions about functioning. ASD is highly complex and the outcomes are highly variable. Even if the outlook appears to be grim, there's still that large window of development ahead for progress, especially for targeting the key issues as needed.

When it comes to autism, I think the most any doctor can do at that age is form a hypothesis, as they did in my case. And for the record, they don't always get that right either.

Last edited:
At only age two? Yikes. That's FAR too early for anyone to be making assumptions about functioning. ASD is highly complex and the outcomes are highly variable. Even if the outlook appears to be grim, there's still that large window of development ahead for progress, especially for targeting the key issues as needed.

When it comes to autism, I think the most any doctor can do at that age is form a hypothesis, as they did in my case. And for the record, they don't always get that right either.

Yes it was a blog that I was reading where the person stated they were diagnosed HFA at age two.

I just thought it was implausible but don't know enough to make any judgement really.

I suppose there could be an early diagnosis from hereditary factors but I think two years of age is too... well anyway, I wonder what the youngest age a formal diagnosis has been?

I agree with a few people above. I'm 15 and I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 2. I think that professionals don't really know. I've come up with this due to the fact that Asperger's and high functioning Autism were put in the "same category" recently. I recently started a blog called The Journey Through Autism where I talk about my personal experiences. Check it out! www.thejourneythroughautism.com

Yes it was a blog that I was reading where the person stated they were diagnosed HFA at age two.

I just thought it was implausible but don't know enough to make any judgement really.

I suppose there could be an early diagnosis from hereditary factors but I think two years of age is too... well anyway, I wonder what the youngest age a formal diagnosis has been?

Just so you know I am that blogger. Thanks for reading. At age two, my mom, a PhD specializing in Autism, suspected Autism. She along with multiple other doctors agreed on my diagnosis. There is a history of Autism in my family as well. Again thanks for reading and for your viewership. Feel free to ask any questions.

As far as I understand and from my own diagnostic journey, the significant differentiation is over language development. I had no language delay, so am classed as Aspie. But it's a sub-category of autism, in any case. Among the adult friends I have who are on the spectrum, some are classified one way, some another, but by the time you're middle-aged, whether you spoke later or not as a toddler is a bit immaterial.

Just so you know I am that blogger. Thanks for reading. At age two, my mom, a PhD specializing in Autism, suspected Autism. She along with multiple other doctors agreed on my diagnosis. There is a history of Autism in my family as well. Again thanks for reading and for your viewership. Feel free to ask any questions.

Interesting that you found this thread. I apologize for being skeptical. But I have my doubts.

A cycling buddy of mine volunteers in child welfare, and he cared for a 2-and-a-half-year-old boy who had been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I hadn't realized such a doagnosis could be made at such a young age, but I suppose that early intervention is better than late intervention.

As far as I understand and from my own diagnostic journey, the significant differentiation is over language development. I had no language delay, so am classed as Aspie. But it's a sub-category of autism, in any case. Among the adult friends I have who are on the spectrum, some are classified one way, some another, but by the time you're middle-aged, whether you spoke later or not as a toddler is a bit immaterial.
I had language delay however later in life am able to converse fluently so I certainly agree with your last statement.

No really. Typically, kids are verbal to some degree, start engaging in social play (with as opposed to beside one another), react and create social cues, have limited independence, and more at that age. It's pretty easy to see signs of Autism at that age if you know what to look for and what's falling behind. Even if you don't, if you're observant, you can pick up on overstimulation cues and similar oddities that suggest something's up.

People use both terms on me. I wasn't really sure if there was a difference. (Also, I was diagnosed at two years old).

New Threads

Top Bottom