• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Holy doo-doo here goes. (hello)

Self defence: When you self defend physically, do you find you are very good at it?

• I suppose we'll call it a draw.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're not allowed to rent here anymore YEAHHHH!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello & welcome @CBA83.

From your OP, I'd guess UK? Australia?

As to your self-defense question, I have fairly good reflexes for blocking --I was similarly good at dodging in dodge-ball-- but not so good in attacking (in elementary school). Real fights shocked me emotionally.

I liked wrestling in high school P.E., but that felt more like a contest and less personal.

I learned a few moves years ago in the Marines, but those were mostly kill shots and I don't want to enter into a real fight to see how I'd do.

I have something similar. I don't like looking at mangled bodies on TV & movies, but found that I could turn that revulsion off when they made discoveries during autopsy scenes.

I can also comfortably handle the nudity of the opposite sex in a care-giving context, but I still get embarrassed (apart from my wife) outside of that context.

Cars & driving? I have a good driving record. (That turns out to be less common than I thought.) I took a little longer than most people to get comfortable enough with driving to pass the test, though. I have neutral feelings toward driving, but I'm glad it's available.

I can't handle the emotion of fighting, I enjoy martial arts a little, and I could handle pugalism which is a totally diffferent animal to defence or streetfighting but I've had enough head inuries already.

I quite like driving, If I can think it.. I can do it in a car. I've owned cars since I was 14. Had about 50 cars. Did the brakes on a 1974 Datsun when I was 7. I built the new fitted kitchen in our house when I was 6, in 4 minutes, while rest of family were exhausted from building it upside down and inside out for 4 hours. Spacial reasoning, having a 1:1 representation of the physical unverse in my head... I can plan drives - I can drive my favourite route in my head, I dont like to pick at the underlying system of this spacial reasoning too much... I dont think it is comprehensible, It doesn't seem to like it. I just use the faculty and leave it at that.

Hello and welcome; I’m also new here. I hate to drive, but when I was younger thought I could drive good and the police kept pulling me and giving me tickets saying I drove bad, esp when I was drinking (1980’s cut me some slack lol).

I like going to the front porch and the rocking chair, to the back porch, then off to my lazy chair. The dog goes too so I guess we are taking a walk?

I see a lot of young ppl driving fast and looking down and texting? Seems dangerous but I do see it when we have to go somewhere.

Hello and welcome; I’m also new here. I hate to drive, but when I was younger thought I could drive good and the police kept pulling me and giving me tickets saying I drove bad, esp when I was drinking (1980’s cut me some slack lol).

I like going to the front porch and the rocking chair, to the back porch, then off to my lazy chair. The dog goes too so I guess we are taking a walk?

I see a lot of young ppl driving fast and looking down and texting? Seems dangerous but I do see it when we have to go somewhere.

I can take a guitar or car to the limit. I have the gene for that stuff - petrol in the veins.

Some extraordinary risk taking, no doubt bad for the life expectancy - but - erm - quality of life.. It speaks for itself... The stories you tell your grandchildren.

Right - I'm not going to take any opinion as fact but just feeling this out - Am I it, or - Is it something else with me?

pulled 1/3 of beard out and found this.

trichotillomania (TTM)
Trichotillomania (TTM) is characterized by the recurrent
pulling out of one’s hair in the scalp, eyelashes, face, nose,
pubic area, eyebrow, etc., often resulting in noticeable bald
patches. In the DSM-IV, TTM is classifi ed as an impulse disorder, although, it has an indisputable compulsive quality to it.
Moreover, similar to the function of compulsions in OCD,
hair pulling is thought to reduce anxiety in individuals with
TTM (Woods et al., 2006 ). A preoccupation with symmetry,
which is also exhibited in autism and OCD, has also been
suggested to trigger TTM.

That's a keeper.

As a child, I was a wanderer - Miles - 3 different searches by cops, brough home by farmer from adjacent town (after trifle). (the guy was `100% understanding and preppy impressed we got so far in out in the sticks, and found a safe way out of being lost)

fell through asbestos roof.

Your score was 38 out of a possible 50.

Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Autistic traits (Autism).

They tend to behave in bossy or dominant ways, and their moral judgment is more based on rules than on feelings

these all apply somewhat:
1. 1:26: insomnia
2. 2:04: bad posture
3. 3:20: different way of walking to abled people
4. 5:01: a connection with animals
5. 5:59: clumsiness
6. 6:51: trouble with directions
7. 7:20: rituals with no outcome
8. 8:04: intense empathy
9. 9:31: a large and unique vocabulary
10. 10:24 a lack of organization

meltdowns

train station is a total nightmare.

I notice everything. I found a duckling behind mcdonalds.

pigeons, stock market...

dont rely on instincts... most of the time. thats when things go wrong.
everything actually always goes wong

overwhelming emotion and indifference, at extreme times.
Tends to suit the occasion, for better or worse. .

rambling on talking... using a lot of energy.

face blind.

Letter formation may be acceptable in very short samples of writing, but this requires extreme effort and an unreasonable amount of time to accomplish, bad hamdwriting

-------------
due to years of conditioning I automatically think a problem is my fault and try to fix it, to be less of a burden or inconvenience to those around me.

Visual hypersensitivity.
Autistic people can have extraordinary vision; on average they can see from 6 m / 20 ft what a non-autistic can see at 2 m / 7 ft. They are also better at pattern recognition, and see visual details that non-autistics don’t tend to register.

Acute hearing
Autistic people were found to have an increased auditory perceptual capacity relative to non-autistic people. This increased capacity may offer an explanation for the auditory superiorities seen in autism, such as heightened pitch detection.

Superior auditory discrimination
Autistic people tend to be better at detecting a target sound within a group of sounds, and notice (irrelevant) background information more readily. About 1 in 5 autistic individuals show ‘exceptional’ frequency discrimination skills.

Heightened pitch detection
Some autistic people show superiority in memorizing picture–pitch associations and in detecting pitch changes in melodies. A subset of autistic individuals—known as “musical savants”—is also known to possess absolute pitch.

Enhanced olfactory detection
Autistic people show enhanced connectivity between the thalamus (a brain area responsible for relaying sensory information) and insula, which is thought to be the cause of heightened sensitivity to smell, sound, and taste.

Powerful memory system
Autistic people can have enhanced or even savant-like memory. This is due to our greater declarative memory. It is this memory that allows us to memorize many things, including thousands of social scripts.

Encyclopedic knowledge
Due to their special interests and fixations, people with high-functioning autism tend to be autodidacts, and can have encyclopedic knowledge in a particular area, and are often considered experts in particular subjects.

Superior problem-solving
Autistic people are up to 40% faster at problem-solving, and appear to use perceptual regions of the brain to accelerate problem-solving. Autistics have been found to be superior in processing complex patterns.

Hyperfocus
Autistic people are able to exert an intense form of mental concentration or visualization (called hyperfocus) that focuses consciousness on a subject, topic, or task; and are significantly more able to focus for extended periods of times.

Pattern recognition
The autistic brain excels at recognizing patterns. In fact, brain regions associated with recognizing patterns (temporal and occipital areas) light up more in autistic people’s than in the general population’s.

Lateral thinking
Research shows a link between autistic traits and unusual & novel ideas, which occurs due to their strong ability to think outside the box. In studies autistic people were far more likely to generate creative ideas than non-autistics.

Circumscribed interests

An intense focus on and/or interest in certain objects or topics (e.g. watching the circular movements of a washing machine or memorizing numbers).[7]

The autism slogan for work ethic might be something along the lines of:

Works hard for little—requires no time off.
If given time off, will work some more…

we have the visual acuity of birds of prey. What a neurotypical can see at 7 feet, we can see at 20 feet on average

Colour perception

Our rods and cones are different. 85% of us see colours with greater intensity than neurotypicals, with red appearing nearly fluorescent; 10% saw red as neurotypical children do, and 5% saw muted colours.

Some autistic people score very high on intelligence tests, and a greater prevalence of people with IQs over 140 (gifted/genius level) has been found among autistic people.[3] In fact, a link has been found between autism, high intelligence,[4] and giftedness.[5] Consequently, some came to call autism a “disorder of high intelligence”. Estimated rates of intellectual giftedness in autistic children are 0.7–2%, compared to up to 1% in the general public.

The presence of any of three abnormal physical features — an asymmetrical face, tufts of hair growing in the wrong direction or a prominent forehead — can help diagnose autism, according to a study published 6 June in the Journal of Autism and Developmental

work for long time - 20 hours, ladders, drill, flu..... collapsed on walk home.
8 days of that. Finally legs gave way. £25 a day.

While he was down there, he noticed an imperfection in one of his models and decided to do some work on it. When I woke up, our kitchen was on fire.

No canteen at college, sit in my car and eat. Really uncomfortable to be around
people, strangers.

Like everything within autism, the answer to why this large spike occurs is unclear. However, in recent years, two leading hypothesises have emerged, which are that:

Alcohol’s slow addiction plus the autistic ease of building a routine make a dangerous duo.
As drinking is more common in those with high IQs, it may be that some deem it a necessary evil to overcome the severe mental health challenges that also commonly occur.

For autistic people, this theory is said to explain why many of us are able to think the things nobody else can and see the things nobody else does and it also, supposedly, explains why we have brains which can be up to 10% larger than the average Joe (which is true). As such, the Intense World Theory chooses to rename and redefine the common signs of autism, binding our thoughts and behaviours to newer (and much cooler) traits:

Hyper-perception
Hyper-attention
Hyper-memory
Hyper-emotions

-----------------

symptoms that resemble those of people diagnosed with executive function deficits.

“The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way." Wm. Blake

This free autism test was adapted from the Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire (ASSQ) designed to screen the possibility of ASD, and is for personal use only. This is not a diagnostic tool. An accurate diagnosis can only be made through clinical evaluation. This autism test is for personal use only.
Thank you for taking the Autism Symptom Test for Adults

Please share and review these results with your medical provider. The ADDitude team has also suggested next steps and further reading below.
Your Score: 41 (Out of 68)
The higher the point total, the greater the likelihood that you show signs of autism spectrum disorder.

-------------------------

It all applies. I need to tidy this up (actually do more than just blunderbuss job) but I'm preparing for signing up to the doctor... making the leap.

I'll do the quizzes in reverse order with opposite amounts of energy to keep it scientific - This is a long study.

New Threads

Top Bottom