• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Holy doo-doo here goes. (hello)

Self defence: When you self defend physically, do you find you are very good at it?

• I suppose we'll call it a draw.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're not allowed to rent here anymore YEAHHHH!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CBA83

Hi, erm.. lets just jump in where I want/feel I should

At 5 years teachers wanted to have me assessed for autism~ My mother disapproved so it didnt happen. 32 years on (now) I did every test I could find, wondering why having a silly big IQ, amazing perception, some rare abilities, better than basically everyone at a fair few things - Wondered why I can't do anything of any substance or continued repercussion.

Can't hold a job down, can't run a business yet - but I'm more likely to be able to do that than anything else - my last business.. I was crippled by my nasty EX.. sabotaged. Lets call her Judas to protect her identity and make a strong reference to prevent confusion. I can imitate just about any musician (guitar, voice, keys) and If I bother to keep up practice (muscles around the chords and the diaphragm I suppose) I can sing amazingly well- I disbelieve when people tell me this.

Yea... half a life spent lost because... she said NO.
They wanted to move me forward 2 years (8 years old) due to maths and english skills and diplomatic skills, general genius ability, reading aloud like - Exceptional. I've never seen anyone read as fast as me - I taught my ADHD friend to read, he's travelling the world now.
She said no.

My defecit seems to be almost completely social. And I need a thesaurus. Theres a lot missing there because I couldn't remember the word. It's hit and miss.

Meh. I'll be around. I'll likely tidy this up. I'll call it a blurb for now. I've only been researching this for 72 hours.
A lot of things make sense, and the things that make me doubt having ASD are few.

Questions I was itching to find the answers to during my research:

1: Can anyone here drive really well? - Like - Senna, Rauno, Schumy, Rosberg? - Does having some good motor skills preclude ASD, - On the other hand, My handwriting is exceptionally poor.

2: As a young kid 5-10 I.. I didnt prefer talking to older people - I Only talked to older people. My interactions with people my age were almost completely abusive and violent - I did kick the living fluff out of the school bully at 8 years old... Hardest lad in the school - His dad was a career criminal and exceptionally violent. He said he'd wait for me at the gates and I decided... I'll wait for you kid... The adage for this situation is - Do not back a person into a corner - they only have one way to go - through you.
And that wasnt the first time I dropped a bully. But less about that. I'm now scared of defending myself... You get the picture I hope.

--- Actual question about that? - yes I do. Thanks for asking.

Is dropping fear completely and "getting the job done" preclusive of ASD in this sort of situation?

I might add more questions but right now I want to drink my beer and procure some other pleasurable things. Cheers.

Oh dear... Dont get me started on politics - 1997... right...
You see how this could go.

Can relate totally. Definitely experienced that - My exploitation was because I am a good comedian, I can make most people laugh. I nearly made Dan Pená fall off his chair with ten words in chat.

I only wanted to talk or be friends with older people.

In grade school I was tall and strong for a girl my age. Boys were mostly small compared.
A few times some of the bully guys would do something like run by and steal my purse
and once tore up my bike. Didn't get away with that.

Cars/driving? A necessary evil. Wish I never had to drive unless it's away from other cars,
back roads just to see nature and get away from people for a while.

Welcome aboard!

Hello & welcome @CBA83.

From your OP, I'd guess UK? Australia?

As to your self-defense question, I have fairly good reflexes for blocking --I was similarly good at dodging in dodge-ball-- but not so good in attacking (in elementary school). Real fights shocked me emotionally.

I liked wrestling in high school P.E., but that felt more like a contest and less personal.

I learned a few moves years ago in the Marines, but those were mostly kill shots and I don't want to enter into a real fight to see how I'd do.
Is dropping fear completely and "getting the job done" preclusive of ASD in this sort of situation?
I have something similar. I don't like looking at mangled bodies on TV & movies, but found that I could turn that revulsion off when they made discoveries during autopsy scenes.

I can also comfortably handle the nudity of the opposite sex in a care-giving context, but I still get embarrassed (apart from my wife) outside of that context.

Cars & driving? I have a good driving record. (That turns out to be less common than I thought.) I took a little longer than most people to get comfortable enough with driving to pass the test, though. I have neutral feelings toward driving, but I'm glad it's available.

Last edited:
I think my best defense would be a long explanatory email, probably.

Hi and welcome, sounds like you came to the right place to find out more.

I don't drive but I learned how and was ok at it. But I think I m both too dyspraxic and too nervy at speed to do it well.

I reckon Stirling Moss was autistic though. Probably.

:car::bluecar::taxi::policecar::minibus::truck::tractor::rocket:

You remind me of me. I think I was an above average driver when young, did some driving jobs.

with the exceptionally poor handwriting it might also be worth investigating NVLD (non verbal learning disorder) as that is a characteristic of the condition. It's a close cousin of autism but there are some differences too.

I have a weird ability with singing mimicry, can imitate most voices accurately, even do male voices (I'm female) like Elvis, Tom Jones etc mostly tenors. There was a film called Little Voice about a very 'shy' woman who could do singing mimicry.

Welcome to the site, great to have you with us.

I have a weird ability with singing mimicry, can imitate most voices accurately, even do male voices (I'm female) like Elvis, Tom Jones etc mostly tenors. There was a film called Little Voice about a very 'shy' woman who could do singing mimicry.
I saw that film. I like Jane Horrocks. You're like her? Tom Jones too? Wow! I'd like to hear you. Can you make a little audio recording?

@CBA83

Welcome mate, nice to have you here.

lol, no it was something I did a lot in my 30s and 40s, just for fun, people liked it but it was a bit of a freakshow (which is something the film shows, sorta) so I stopped doing it, the need to not be seen as freakish became more important. It was before I got dx'ed so after dx, I toned down some of my eccentric/unusual stuff.

I'm in my 60s, now so haven't sung for a long time. Thanks for asking.

• Aww my face!
  • Ooof - That hurt a bit but I got away
  • I suppose we'll call it a draw.
  • You're not allowed to rent here anymore YEAHHHH!!!
  • Now good squire, Do you want an ambulance?
My answer would be: "You shoulda seen the other guy!"

lol, no it was something I did a lot in my 30s and 40s, just for fun, people liked it but it was a bit of a freakshow (which is something the film shows, sorta) so I stopped doing it, the need to not be seen as freakish became more important. It was before I got dx'ed so after dx, I toned down some of my eccentric/unusual stuff.

I'm in my 60s, now so haven't sung for a long time. Thanks for asking.
Guess I'm 20/30 years too late. Sounds like you had talent. It's a shame you felt freakish. I guess it's all about where we are and who we're around. Freakish to some, entertainment to others.

I think my best defense would be a long explanatory email, probably.

Hi and welcome, sounds like you came to the right place to find out more.

I don't drive but I learned how and was ok at it. But I think I m both too dyspraxic and too nervy at speed to do it well.

I reckon Stirling Moss was autistic though. Probably.

:car::bluecar::taxi::policecar::minibus::truck::tractor::rocket:

I went thru and entire argument with notes from a neighbor. We attahed notes on each other's door. It resolved itself. l totally agree with your email defense.

Guess I'm 20/30 years too late. Sounds like you had talent. It's a shame you felt freakish. I guess it's all about where we are and who we're around. Freakish to some, entertainment to others.

If you somehow have freakish attributes either very strong empathy or something unusual about yourself, it can be unsettling because it tends to bring out obessive people who fixate. Now fixation in itself doesn't bother me. But fixation from somebody that has zero boundaries can be also unsettling.

Yeah being seen as living entertainment quickly ends up being tedious and a problem, although it's often forced on one.

If you somehow have freakish attributes either very strong empathy or something unusual about yourself, it can be unsettling because it tends to bring out obessive people who fixate. Now fixation in itself doesn't bother me. But fixation from somebody that has zero boundaries can be also unsettling.

I've had more than one person become obsessed with me. It's deeply unsettling and I avoid people like the plague now.

Unfortunately with aging I'm gonna have to find a disability social group to join, just so someone notices I'm dead if I don't turn up to the social stuff.

Yeah being seen as living entertainment quickly ends up being tedious and a problem, although it's often forced on one.
I can understand that. People don't want to know you for who you are only for what you can do.
Did you enjoy expressing yourself that way? Before the issues arose?

yuh, of course. Singing is pleasant.

If others have the same abilities, it's probably best confined to others with disabilities as your audience.

I can't remember the people or the order but here are your replies -

Driving is scary. you can kill people with it - But you have passed a test. There are people so much worse than you on the road - you actually have responsibility - you will never drive outside your capability and are a cheap insurance risk and unlikely to run little old ladies over. When I make 3 mill which is my account name - I will insure you for £4.00 per year.

-

Yeah, It is from both sides. But In my experiece, it is not generated spontaneously. It is a low hanging fruit to be exploited... the scared, weak... unknowing... young... different... mind. And those exploited have a far stronger sense. It is not an issue. But there is justice to be served... sometime.. maybe.

New Threads

Top Bottom