• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm Chuck

Chuck2

King of my desk
Still trying to find out if I have Autism that might have been miss-diagnosed as Bipolar. Doctors in my area don't seem to be very knowledgeable about Autism so it's hard to find one or a team who can actually diagnose it in an adult of my age.

I went to a Psychologist last year who saw me four times, charged me a lot of money and then said that he can't diagnose it in an adult. Next time, I'll make sure the doctor can actually do that before booking any appointments.

Anyway, I did a search for something and this forum came up so I decided to join and see what the atmosphere is like here.

Welcome aboard! This is a great and helpful community, hope you enjoy it :)
image.jpg

Thanks for that image. I really like it.

I should add that I was diagnosed in 1990 at the age of 25 with Bipolar Disorder but that may be incorrect.

I also had Meningitis as a kid so I suffered a little brain damage which affects my IQ. I'm not as smart as Aspies often are.

Last edited:
Hi, Chuck2, welcome to AC!

We usually aren't as smart as we'd like to think we are, or would like to be, either. Just read our posts ;)

See you around the threads.

I'm sure you will find this forum informative and understanding. Welcome and good luck!:)

Welcome to AC, Chuck. Lots of material to go over, and to interact with us. A great way to learn more about who and what you may be.

Hi & Welcome,
If it turns out to be you are on the spectrum, don't worry about the smartness thing. A lot of times its focused just in a few narrow areas. Like you know all there is to know about beets. And time zones. And actually that only goes for some Aspies. A lot of people on the spectrum also have low IQs btw. But the testing thing doesn't necessarily work well for autistics either. So its a jumble and I am sure you will find you fit in just fine.

You may have both as you can develop co morbid conditions,I got C-PTSD on top of my Aspergers and a anxiety disorder as well,my dr told me that one of her other clients has both bipolar and Aspergers and it can also be the reason why the doctors maybe haven't picked up on any autistic traits because co morbids can overlap them.

Hi Chuck

You couldn't have found a better site! In no time at all, you will find out if you are aren't!

As for being smart; it is pretty relative! Aspies come across as smart on their particular obsession, but are often seen as the opposite in this world.

I get contradictory comments from: very smart to not all there and a bit slow.

I believed I was on the very edge of aspergers, but since joining this site, soon discovered I am rather high, on the spectrum.

I too, am finding it very difficult to find a therapist, but am gaining more confidence that I am.

Comorbid bipolar with Autism is not out of the question. It is actually my focus until the last few days. When I received my diagnosis of bipolar I was relieved because it meant that I could be treated and we had something to work on.

There is also the chance that I have Autism (Asperger's) with OCD. My therapist said I was also certain to have PTSD because of life experiences- as if it was unavoidable.

Also, this forum seems to be a lot warmer than another I was trying out. Don't worry, I won't mention the name.

Comorbid bipolar with Autism is not out of the question. It is actually my focus until the last few days. When I received my diagnosis of bipolar I was relieved because it meant that I could be treated and we had something to work on.

There is also the chance that I have Autism (Asperger's) with OCD. My therapist said I was also certain to have PTSD because of life experiences- as if it was unavoidable.

Also, this forum seems to be a lot warmer than another I was trying out. Don't worry, I won't mention the name.
Yeah I think I know which one you are referring to,I tried them aswell and had a similar experience with it so I never go on that one anymore,but PTSD could be another co morbid aswell if you been through trauma,I got C-PTSD from ongoing trauma I had in my life and being on the spectrum can make you more susceptible to it.

It seems like half of the 'Autistic Experience' is the co-morbids, and those can be some of the most annoying and even debilitating aspects. For me it is anxiety. But the prospects with co-morbids are more promising as they usually have established treatments, while there is none really for autism. It can be a real maze before you find the true issues and correct diagnosis. But like you say, once you have it pinned down, you now can apply the right type of treatments/therapies. Finding a good medication for anxiety was a very significant turning point for me, and since then my mental health, and life in general much better.

I just invited my cousin to join. She does not have it but her son is Aspie. I told her it would be a good way to get quick answers.

New Threads

Top Bottom