• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi! I need help. Is this the right place?

Bigpumkin

Hi, I'm Bigpumkin, a non-spectrum person who lives in a high school dorm (familial setting) in Germany with a Chinese student who has autism. Recently his obsession has turned from trains and frustration with French transportation related strikes towards anti refuge talk.

It has become increasingly clear that he is primarily bothered by the fact that these refugees are not ethnically German, and his comments about race differences have drastically increased to the point where they are sometimes severely racist.

Is this forum a place I could find some advice on how to handle the situation? If so, where should I go about asking?

Thanks,
Bigpumkin

Welcome! For future reference, the proper term for someone who's not Neurodiverse (on the Spectrum in some form) would be Neurotypical, and there's the Help and Support Forum, which is here: Help and Support

Good luck!

He's not from Germany, such views are pretty much common across the rest of the world. How would you say they are racist, and isn't he a foreigner in Germany himself?

I would suggest you keep him safe in case he doesn't realize in what kind of situation your country is. He could get hurt or worse if he happens to express his views in public.

How to handle it? Uhh... how much trouble does he have with social interaction? If it isn't that bad then maybe acknowledge that you heard his point of view and that it's ok to talk about something else.

He's not from Germany, such views are pretty much common across the rest of the world. How would you say they are racist, and isn't he a foreigner in Germany himself?
You're right about the views being common across the world. And you are correct to point out the flaw in his logic about him being foreign himself. He will treat people of other races differently, and has refused contact with others citing the "race difference" them being Korean and him being Chinese. I'm aware that His views are very in line with those of the CCP. Still they are not good.

Thanks for your response

Statistically autistic people tend to be more tolerant of differences in others. The process you describe sounds like he is being radicalised by external influences. Do you know where these ideas are coming from? A tutor, a student, the internet? If you know or can find out, it might help you to solve the problem.

My point wasn't that it was a flaw, but that he is an outsider looking in. Isn't that what cultural exchange is all about?

Define good or bad. He is allowed to not like Koreans. I don't see an issue. I don't like the French. We won't ever understand his issue with Koreans, but he grew up in a nation with a long history with Korea and he has some strong feelings about that.

What would resolve the issue? To all hold hands and sing kumbaya? He won't do that. If you want him to shut up about it so you don't have to hear it all day then just explain to him that you know how he thinks about these issues and that it isn't very productive to keep repeating the same opinion.

He's most likely reacting in an emotional manner due to culture shock so maybe talking about it in a logical way could help snap him out of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom