• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi all, first post....venting a bit

I admit diagnosis doesn't help everyone or change things for everyone, but for some people, it may help to understand yourself better

I've said the same thing many a time on here before and it's very true, however the point I made above is that for some it's just about knowing for certain what they already suspect. I've done 2 videos on the "just diagnosed" subject (the second one isn't up yet) and I describe a number of the emotional consequences of diagnosis across both.

Thank you very much for your response. I think that's the question I wanted answered, does it make a difference if I receive a diagnosis or not?

It makes as much difference as you want/allow it to. I personally would recommend seeking assessment for most people, but there will be some circumstances when you may prefer not to. Say, for instance, you were pretty certain your husband may be less receptive or kind to you if you were formally diagnosed you may want to hold off. Someone who is retired might think it won't make much difference at that stage of life so may not bother.
Knowing for certain does not make you disabled - disability is as much a state of mind as of the body. I have a disability - I have arthritis in my spine which makes standing and walking difficult and painful. I am not disabled by my autism though. I see as many advantages as disadvantages to my neurodiversity.
Diagnosis can open many doors but it can also close some. Which doors open or close is largely down to how you interpret and act on your diagnosis.

Last edited:
Hi, pennypeng!
We're pretty friendly, and there's lots of information here.
Welcome to the party!
(honestly, I'm keeping myself ignorant of it so my assessment isn't swayed in any way - if being prepared for it would do that).
Otenba--- For a while, I thought the same way. I seem to approach most things in life in this way. I don't want an advantage, I don't want inside information, I just want my fair shake.
What I have been coming to the realization of, however, is that especially for those of us who are finding this out later in life, we don't have a good grasp of the ways that our ASD has affected us, may not even realize some of the profound effects and possible co-morbidities at all.

As an ASD dx is one of the more problematic ones, due to masking both consciously and unconsciously, as well as our unfamiliarity with it's effects(not to mention conditions that we may not be able to be aware of), and a general poor understanding of it's presentation by professionals, it is suggested that we do the legwork, make an honest study of it, gather supporting information(that we may not have been aware of), and generally be ready to answer questions and provide insight to the professional assessing us. Much of our neurodiversity may camouflage itself, to us, others, and professionals.

I've had to come 'round to the idea that, if I'm going to understand this, and myself, and get an accurate dx, I'm going to do much of the investigation myself.
Maybe one day there will be better diagnostics, and better understanding, but until then, it is a give and take, and the most successful of us will have a knowledgeable professional willing to work with us, and we will work toward self-discovery and empowerment together.

sidd

Last edited:
I wouldn't say we are robots. Your 'Chameleons' might be a better analogy. It is I think at the base a difference in what comes natural to us as opposed to neurotypicals, and as you say, to fit in we mimic the NTs. 'Wearing the mask' is a common way Aspies describe it. But even NTs have to learn to fit in society (or else it might become like 'Lord of the Flies'). But as HFAs we at least can do that usually, though it may take extra energy. With low and moderate functioning autistics it is much harder, if not impossible.

Hi, pennypeng!
We're pretty friendly, and there's lots of information here.
Welcome to the party!

Otenba--- For a while, I thought the same way. I seem to approach most things in life in this way. I don't want an advantage, I don't want inside information, I just want my fair shake.
What I have been coming to the realization of, however, is that especially for those of us who are finding this out later in life, we don't have a good grasp of the ways that our ASD has affected us, may not even realize some of the profound effects and possible co-morbidities at all.

As an ASD dx is one of the more problematic ones, due to masking both consciously and unconsciously, as well as our unfamiliarity with it's effects(not to mention conditions that we may not be able to be aware of), and a general poor understanding of it's presentation by professionals, it is suggested that we do the legwork, make an honest study of it, gather supporting information(that we may not have been aware of), and generally be ready to answer questions and provide insight to the professional assessing us. Much of our neurodiversity may camouflage itself, to us, others, and professionals.

I've had to come 'round to the idea that, if I'm going to understand this, and myself, and get an accurate dx, I'm going to do much of the investigation myself.
Maybe one day there will be better diagnostics, and better understanding, but until then, it is a give and take, and the most successful of us will have a knowledgeable professional willing to work with us, and we will work toward self-discovery and empowerment together.

sidd
This makes sense to me. I am doing my own research to how autism maybe playing a part of my life (because I had no idea before my husband suggested it to me - learning about it and recognising things has helped me a lot) so I can strengthen my case if asked questions during assessment, but as for what they choose to ask, I think I don't want to know what to expect so I give honest answers. I've seen things on TV of what might happen, like someone being put in a fake sandwich shop situation where they took orders and the assessment looked at how they got on, but I don't know how true that was to an actual assessment. I've been told it can take a day or more too. I think I just don't want to have to concern myself with what to expect too much when my answers are the main thing that matter.

Hello, @pennypeng (May I call you Penny?)! Welcome to the forums! You'll find your time here very relaxing, friendly, supportive, and encouraging! If you have any questions or concerns, go to Site Questions, Suggestions, & Feedback and post a thread for any questions about this site over there! Also, don't be shy to explore around the site and start more threads. Don't worry, we won't bite!

Thank you very much for your response. I think that's the question I wanted answered, does it make a difference if I receive a diagnosis or not?
Before I read in depth about autism, I dug deep into personality types and the different testing methods used. The Myers Biggs test uses a set of questions (much like the autism tests we can find online) and gives you a 4 digit code that states your type. I ended up being an INTJ, I wonder if intellectual types tend to be autistic....or that traits that are deemed autistic are really just a rare personality type. (Tangent)

I'm worried that if I deem myself to have a disability that I will feel limited and more different than I already feel. Do you think you receive more help clinically than you would just discussing with like minded individuals?
Someone not understanding why they're different can lead them down to a dark place where they don't see the point in living anymore because they only see themselves as a reject that will never change after years of trying to fix themselves.

I'm someone who's becoming more and more aware that their employment is becoming affected by the fact I might be autistic (combined with my other chronic health condition)... and so I wanted a diagnosis so I have official backing that I can require reasonable adjustments at work under disability laws. I'm used to being protected by those laws for my other chronic condition (the fight never stops too even after adjustments placed) so think it's worthwhile getting my potential autism protected as well in case I need to challenge discrimination again.

Some people are scared of or unwilling to be associated with the word disability just because of negativity. Those people forget that even disabled folk deserve respect and happiness and need to remember that not using those labels hurts everyone with disabilities because it shows to the ignorant that it's something to be ashamed of. I will never be ashamed of being disabled. I'm only having to use that label because I'm so fundamentally different and that's okay. Asking for help through disability laws is okay. It sucks that disability laws have to exist at all but discrimination is still happening everywhere and so we have to look out for each other. You're not less for being disabled, just different, and that's totally okay. If you feel you need the understanding and help from people like employers, then diagnosis is very worthwhile (in UK anyway; can't speak for US).

Best wishes to you whatever path you choose to take in regard to diagnosis.

Hello and welcome to the forum Penny!

I was diagnosed as a teenager so I haven’t much experience in what you’re going through, but even with my diagnosis I did feel multiple feelings of relief, grief, sense of self and it provided me with opportunities to get appropriate support and strategies to help me function better. But that’s how it works in my country. Since I’m not UK or US or around the pacific...

I have to say that if you desire to go down the path of evaluation and possible diagnosis, you have to think what are the benefits for you to get one. Will it change anything for you? I wish you good luck in whatever you decide. This forum is a great place in the meantime, and of course long time, to explore.

New Threads

Top Bottom