• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Caelix3

I have trouble making and keeping a conversation. But mostly with keeping a conversation going. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a conversation going?

Listening and asking questions is good. Also keep up with current events, sports, the weather. If the conversation slows down, mention something you read about or saw on TV.

Asking questions and listening is good, but not always easy. I struggle with what to say, so I've always tried to keep "manned up" by paying attention to sports, even if I have little or no interest in them. Not that I get involved in too many conversations about sports, it's just good to be prepared with some universal topics. I can talk more easily about music, biking, nature, but I am very interested in those topics. I steer away from politics and religion, other conflict ripe topics in general, unless I know the person well, and that they will stay in the theoretical realm.

My problem is that so many people want to talk about TV shows and movies, and I simply have no interest.

My first lesson in asking questions and listening happened when I was on a long drive with an acquaintance in my teens. He was a quiet guy, too, so I took the lead and started asking questions. It was his car, so I started by asking about that, and the conversation, such as it was, went on from there.

New Threads

Top Bottom