• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help needed please, weird smell

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
Hi
I know you guys on here are used to oddness (no offence meant)
For the last few days, I have had a weird smell in my lounge, like the smell of stale water but I cannot find the source.
I am now paranoid I have a dead animal somewhere.
I cannot enter my loft as I live in a flat and the loft does not belong to me.

You may need a COVID test. Altered sense of smell is a symptom.

Hi
I know you guys on here are used to oddness (no offence meant)
For the last few days, I have had a weird smell in my lounge, like the smell of stale water but I cannot find the source.
I am now paranoid I have a dead animal somewhere.
I cannot enter my loft as I live in a flat and the loft does not belong to me.
It's usually something that is taking a long time to dry (plasticky coats etc,also can be an infection bacterial or viral.

Not sure what you mean by "stale water" smell. Stagnant water smells like rotting vegetation.

If you can, get a mold inspection. Mold causes some people health issues.

Might be a dead mouse or rat in the walls, that just stinks but won't cause you any harm. Or maybe something in their trash rotting away.

Can you get the landlord to come by and sniff it?

If you can only smell it in the lounge, but not in other rooms, it's unlikely to be an altered sense of smell on your part, or a symptom of covid.

Some kind of mould or mildew maybe? Can you banish it by airing the room more?

Check for water leaks - check any carpet for damp spots, especially along the walls, check any windows for moisture etc. You could have a pipe leaking in the wall or under the floor.

Plumber has a handheld thingy that detects water moisture. That maybe a possibility. Or just smell everything up close with your nose. That might give you a clue. Feel for softness on the wall or floor ceiling, that is another clue of moisture rot. Ask who is on other side of lounge if they have detected anything or had plumbing work done. Same with loft. Good luck. Move anything sensitive to moisture or cover it when out of flat just incase you have a undected pipe leak in ceiling. And spray room freshener to help with smell.

We lived in a rented house for a couple of years and it was on stilts of all things.

And of all times, when I was pregnant ( failed), I smelt this most awful rank smell and we could not find out where it was coming from.

It ended up being stank water underneath the house! So, a layer of rotten water under the stilts and we could not nothing about it, but because of my heightened smell, it made me constantly vomit.

Now, whenever I smell it, I can feel myself wanting to wretch.

Just a side point, regarding loss of smell. Be aware that if you have coughing asthma and it goes unchecked, you can also lose your sense of smell and taste. I had this happen to me and still several year's later, not back completely.

Not everything is covid related. I have a spiritual friend, who had a temperature that would not go down; she could not breath, so all signs pointed to covid. She ended up in hospital and was on a ventilator, due to not being able to breath on her own. They tested for covid 3 TIMES and all came back negative. She was diagnosed with phemonia ( excuse terrible spelling).

Dead animals smell very bad, so it could be any number of things. I suggest you do the sniff test. Move in a grid across your living space & sniff until a possible site is located. Dead animals in lofts is common enough. Smells can drive me crazy. Certain cosmetics remind me of my mad mother, oranges in enclosed spaces could move me to violence, burning wax gives me an instant headache, & certain food smells are enough to make me run away.

This thread has created something else. How many misread words? I saw lounge, but read it as tongue. The other day I saw a big truck with Lobsters on the side; it took awhile to see it was Logistics! I have done this forever?

This thread has created something else. How many misread words? I saw lounge, but read it as tongue. The other day I saw a big truck with Lobsters on the side; it took awhile to see it was Logistics! I have done this forever?
Sleep deprivation ,stress both neurologies

Not sure what you mean by "stale water" smell. Stagnant water smells like rotting vegetation.

If you can, get a mold inspection. Mold causes some people health issues.

Might be a dead mouse or rat in the walls, that just stinks but won't cause you any harm. Or maybe something in their trash rotting away.

Can you get the landlord to come by and sniff it?
Yeah it smells like stale water from a vase of flowers.
I can't see any mould spots anywhere.
I take all food rubbish out, so no rubbish smells.
I thought about a rat or mouse in the walls, however the smell is not filling the room, I just get whiffs, like there is something smelly in the lounge/bathroom but I cannot locate it.

Dead animals smell very bad, so it could be any number of things. I suggest you do the sniff test. Move in a grid across your living space & sniff until a possible site is located. Dead animals in lofts is common enough. Smells can drive me crazy. Certain cosmetics remind me of my mad mother, oranges in enclosed spaces could move me to violence, burning wax gives me an instant headache, & certain food smells are enough to make me run away.
My loft is sealed with an insulation strip, could smells still come through that?
I am not allowed in my loft as the roof does not belong to me, so I cannot even open the hatch for a sniff.

We lived in a rented house for a couple of years and it was on stilts of all things.

And of all times, when I was pregnant ( failed), I smelt this most awful rank smell and we could not find out where it was coming from.

It ended up being stank water underneath the house! So, a layer of rotten water under the stilts and we could not nothing about it, but because of my heightened smell, it made me constantly vomit.

Now, whenever I smell it, I can feel myself wanting to wretch.

Just a side point, regarding loss of smell. Be aware that if you have coughing asthma and it goes unchecked, you can also lose your sense of smell and taste. I had this happen to me and still several year's later, not back completely.

Not everything is covid related. I have a spiritual friend, who had a temperature that would not go down; she could not breath, so all signs pointed to covid. She ended up in hospital and was on a ventilator, due to not being able to breath on her own. They tested for covid 3 TIMES and all came back negative. She was diagnosed with phemonia ( excuse terrible spelling).
Sorry your pregnancy failed.
I live in a flat.
I don't have asthma.
I know Covid is a concern, luckily although I have anxiety I feel under control regarding covid.

Yeah it smells like stale water from a vase of flowers.
I can't see any mould spots anywhere.
I take all food rubbish out, so no rubbish smells.
I thought about a rat or mouse in the walls, however the smell is not filling the room, I just get whiffs, like there is something smelly in the lounge/bathroom but I cannot locate it.

Do you have a toilet brush or a toothbrush holder and is there water in any of those things? The toilet brush caddy I gave up on and went to that Clorox wand with the throw away heads. Bad for the environment but much better for my sanity (Scrubbing Bubbles also makes one).

I remember how disgusting the closed type toothbrush holder got that we had when I was a kid. Never again lol. Yuck!

Plumber has a handheld thingy that detects water moisture. That maybe a possibility. Or just smell everything up close with your nose. That might give you a clue. Feel for softness on the wall or floor ceiling, that is another clue of moisture rot. Ask who is on other side of lounge if they have detected anything or had plumbing work done. Same with loft. Good luck. Move anything sensitive to moisture or cover it when out of flat just incase you have a undected pipe leak in ceiling. And spray room freshener to help with smell.
I sniffed behind my couch hoping to smell a stronger smell as the smell is not that strong. No joy.
I can't see any wet patches on ceiling I dont like my ladders.
Wouldn't I know if I had an undetected pipe leak in ceiling, wet patches etc?

Do you have a toilet brush or a toothbrush holder and is there water in any of those things? The toilet brush caddy I gave up on and went to that Clorox wand with the throw away heads. Bad for the environment but much better for my sanity (Scrubbing Bubbles also makes one).

I remember how disgusting the closed type toothbrush holder got that we had when I was a kid. Never again lol. Yuck!
No water in those things.
thanks though, can still smell it, it is only faint, but definitely there.

New Threads

Top Bottom