• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help after a meltdown

Jane Smith

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Let me re-introduce myself. My name is Jane. I haven't been diagnosed as an Aspie, however, I do have a lot of traits. I also have PTSD.

One trait I have is that I get stimulated easily by lights, sounds, touch, and stress. If I get over stimulated I shut down. Typically, shut downs happen in my room. I have been in therapy for years, and know an escape plan when a melt down happens. Since I have PTSD I also have to deal with dissociation, too.

Last Saturday, I had my first meltdown in public, and I was devastated. Ever since then I have been depressed, and my senses are in over drive. I don't know how to calm down. I feel humiliated, embarrassed, and ashamed. I didn't know who to talk to about this. My therapist understood, and talked to me about it, but everything was too much.

I tried listening to music, taking a bath (it can cut down on stimulus), laying in bed, and going outside. Nothing helps. So, I went on here because I thought maybe you guys would understand.

What contributed to this? Well, it's a long story....

1. My college school schedule requires me to be there from 9-5. It's an all day activity, and a lot of the students at my school like to harass women.

2. My sister, who lives with me, is suicidal and talks about wanting to kill herself often. She tells me all of her problems, and when I ask her to talk to her therapist, she gets mad at me.

3. I have been trying to move out, but I am having trouble finding work.

4. And here's the doozy:

I have another Aspie in my life who I love very much. He loves me, too. We've been keeping everything on the down low, but we've been spending a lot of time together for the past year or so. Being with him is a nice break from my life. We get each other.

Both of our schedules are insane, so our hang outs are pretty silent. We both just listen to music, or do some work. if he needs to shut down, I let him, and he does the same for me. No matter how crazy things got, we would find time for each other--even if it was for an hour or so.

I am 30 and he was 40. He's a good father, and loves his kids.

John works at the company near me. We would eat lunch at a neighboring cafe. A lot of other women who worked with him had a crush on him, too. They'd see me hanging out with him, come up to me and tell me "to stop talking to him" and to "leave him alone". That I was "adding to the stress he deals with" and to "back off". I was confused by this. I didn't think I was adding to his stress. Or at least if I was, he wasn't telling me.

I talked to John about this. He got upset, and told me he liked seeing me very much. He didn't want it to stop.

I believed his word over theirs. It was great, and we didn't have any problems for a while.

Regardless, the other women started to brag. They would talk about "how much John talked to them" over me. My sister also has a huge crush on him and tells me all the time. One time she even said she wanted to sleep with him. I told her to stop, but she said I was over reacting. She then said she was going to be working on the same project as him in the future. She told me "how much fun they were going to have together".

When I confront her again, she says I am over reacting. She was just "teasing" and that I am being too sensitive.

I tried talking to John again. Now, he is visibly upset, and hurt. Not at me. Just the situation. I understand why. We cared for each other deeply, and that was kind of obvious. I felt bad that I let the girls get to my head.

I was even afraid to talk about the situation on here because my sister would use this site to find more information. She promised she wouldn't read my posts, but it was still leery.

Last Saturday, my sister asked to join John and I during one of our dates. They were started on something new at work, and they were put on the same team. For some reason I agreed. I don't know why. John and her are friends. They get along. When she asked to come with me, I thought it would be controlling to say no. In retrospect, I see how stupid this was, and that I was being manipulated. It was inappropriate for her to be there.

The hang out goes VERY POORLY, for obvious reasons. When I go to the hang out, I am a boiling point and I feel like I am going to scream. John can tell. I try to hide it because I don't want to be an inconvenience, and the situation felt insane. However, I can't hold it.

I have a complete melt down. As I do, I try and stop myself. John was sitting right there and I had never shut down like THIS in front of him before. I can't stop. The shut down is happening and I can't hit the breaks. Keep in mind that I also have PTSD. In my house hold growing up it was NOT OKAY TO HAVE THESE SORTS OF MELT DOWNS. If you did, you got punished. So, even though it's not a good idea, I try and make it stop.

John and I are both graphic designers. Sometimes he looks at my work to help me with it. I do the same for him. He points to my website name and says it out loud. My website's name is my name.

Instead of saying my name, though, he says my sister's.

I lose it and now I am exploding outwards. My body goes on autopilot. I am not controlling anything I am doing anymore. I am furious.

"My name is Jane. Don't worry, though! Katy's right over there. Go talk to her"

This made no sense. Obviously he knew my name. We had been seeing each for a year. But by that point I was so confused I truly believed he forgot my name for a second. He can see that I am angry and tries to get my attention.

"Jane, I said J T. I did not say Katy"

Jane is my first name and T was my middle initial. So, i could see the confusion. However, it didn't matter anymore. I was gone. He starts to speak to me in a specific tone and says "Jane" "Jane" "Jane?" over and over to bring me back.

I turn away from him and move to another table. It felt childish, and I could see he was trying to help. But, I just needed to decompress. John keeps asking me questions, and finally gets me back into the conversation.

I try my best to become a part of it, but it doesn't really work. We both left in a strange mood. He was concerned, hurt, and confused. I was angry. I could tell by the look in his eyes he honestly didn't mean to say Katy's name.

Katy seemed oblivious to the whole thing. She couldn't figure out why "John was so upset". I explained to her it probably had to deal with my attitude. She said that "she highly doubted it" and added "If I can't tell when you're angry, then he sure as hell can't!"

John and our dates have been exactly the same for the past year. They're always quiet, calm, and collected. We're typically in peace with each other. Once Katy showed up, that changed. I was no longer sitting next to him and was not responding in the way I normally would.

Humiliated, I sent John an e-mail apologizing for the way I acted. Then I became severely depressed. I am so over stimulated I can't bring myself to answer messages, e-mails or phone calls unless it's school/work related.

I know I need to talk to John and tell him the whole story, but I just can't find the strength. I tried to find a way to calm down but I can't. I am too upset. Too much is going on. I thought maybe if I wrote my story on here it would help.

When you feel over stimulated like this, what do you do? Do you have certain coping mechanisms?

Even if you don't know how to help, thank you for at least hearing the story. Being able to write it all down makes me feel a lot better.

Focus on John; screw the haters, and screw your sister, she sounds like a manipulative instigator. Don't let people who are acting like they are your enemies get into your head or get into your business. They're only out to hurt you and John.

It's okay to feel the way you feel. You are never wrong to feel the way you feel. The question is, what are you going to do with it?

I don't know any "hacks" or quick-fix techniques that'll pull you out of this; you're in a situation that would be very upsetting for anyone. It's totally understandable that you'd feel how you do.

But the sense I get from your post is that you're giving control to others for no good reason. You're essentially giving them permission to tear chunks out of you like a wild dog. It may not be part of your personality, but you need to take control of the situation.

What I mean is that you might want to get a little more possessive of John. Do you love him? Have you told him you love him? I get the sense that your relationship would fit the label of "it's complicated". If you want John, I would commit to him, thus creating an entity known as a "relationship", and that gives you something to protect against the other women who are moving in on him, which I find disturbing that that's going on.

So I think the fix for how you're feeling right now is to pick yourself up, make a plan, and execute it. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to feel down, it's okay to be depressed, everything is okay with how you feel. That's where you are right now; question is, where do you want to be?

Sending e-hugs, I hope you feel better soon.

I won't repeat the good advice given by @Gritches, but I know how it feels after you've had a meltdown, a lot of people don't understand and can unfairly blame you for what they see as your "bad" behaviour and it is embarrassing, I've told people it's because I'm autistic in the past and I've been accused of using it as an excuse. It can be horrid and even if people do appear to understand, it doesn't stop the embarrassing feeling like you wish you could have handled yourself better Etc, but it's NOT your fault, you shouldn't feel guilty, you shouldn't need to apologise and being punished for it in the past is as wrong as punishing someone with motor neurone disease for dribbling. Even though it can feel awful for a while afterwards, it does gradually wear off and you can see it in a better light eventually.

I hope you are able to improve your situation and resolve the causes of the issues, I also know what it's like to have someone around you that threatens suicide and they can even use emotional blackmail sometimes which is extremely unfair, perhaps you should talk to her therapist yourself about it because you definitely shouldn't have to handle this burden on top of everything else.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hi there,I am on the spectrum and also have complex ptsd so I do know about dissociation,I’m so sorry what you are going through,meltdowns are not fun and please do not feel guilty about how you reacted,I have some meltdowns that I am not proud about and I usually go through this spiral of guilt afterwards and i know that viscous cycle,don’t feel bad about yourself I’m sure you got a lot on your plate and so it’s natural that you will be overloaded and you probably stretched yourself out too much and that can trigger a meltdown,I hope you are able to resolve some things and hopefully you feel better soon.

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Let me re-introduce myself. My name is Jane. I haven't been diagnosed as an Aspie, however, I do have a lot of traits. I also have PTSD.

One trait I have is that I get stimulated easily by lights, sounds, touch, and stress. If I get over stimulated I shut down. Typically, shut downs happen in my room. I have been in therapy for years, and know an escape plan when a melt down happens. Since I have PTSD I also have to deal with dissociation, too.

Last Saturday, I had my first meltdown in public, and I was devastated. Ever since then I have been depressed, and my senses are in over drive. I don't know how to calm down. I feel humiliated, embarrassed, and ashamed. I didn't know who to talk to about this. My therapist understood, and talked to me about it, but everything was too much.

I tried listening to music, taking a bath (it can cut down on stimulus), laying in bed, and going outside. Nothing helps. So, I went on here because I thought maybe you guys would understand.

What contributed to this? Well, it's a long story....

1. My college school schedule requires me to be there from 9-5. It's an all day activity, and a lot of the students at my school like to harass women.

2. My sister, who lives with me, is suicidal and talks about wanting to kill herself often. She tells me all of her problems, and when I ask her to talk to her therapist, she gets mad at me.

3. I have been trying to move out, but I am having trouble finding work.

4. And here's the doozy:

I have another Aspie in my life who I love very much. He loves me, too. We've been keeping everything on the down low, but we've been spending a lot of time together for the past year or so. Being with him is a nice break from my life. We get each other.

Both of our schedules are insane, so our hang outs are pretty silent. We both just listen to music, or do some work. if he needs to shut down, I let him, and he does the same for me. No matter how crazy things got, we would find time for each other--even if it was for an hour or so.

I am 30 and he was 40. He's a good father, and loves his kids.

John works at the company near me. We would eat lunch at a neighboring cafe. A lot of other women who worked with him had a crush on him, too. They'd see me hanging out with him, come up to me and tell me "to stop talking to him" and to "leave him alone". That I was "adding to the stress he deals with" and to "back off". I was confused by this. I didn't think I was adding to his stress. Or at least if I was, he wasn't telling me.

I talked to John about this. He got upset, and told me he liked seeing me very much. He didn't want it to stop.

I believed his word over theirs. It was great, and we didn't have any problems for a while.

Regardless, the other women started to brag. They would talk about "how much John talked to them" over me. My sister also has a huge crush on him and tells me all the time. One time she even said she wanted to sleep with him. I told her to stop, but she said I was over reacting. She then said she was going to be working on the same project as him in the future. She told me "how much fun they were going to have together".

When I confront her again, she says I am over reacting. She was just "teasing" and that I am being too sensitive.

I tried talking to John again. Now, he is visibly upset, and hurt. Not at me. Just the situation. I understand why. We cared for each other deeply, and that was kind of obvious. I felt bad that I let the girls get to my head.

I was even afraid to talk about the situation on here because my sister would use this site to find more information. She promised she wouldn't read my posts, but it was still leery.

Last Saturday, my sister asked to join John and I during one of our dates. They were started on something new at work, and they were put on the same team. For some reason I agreed. I don't know why. John and her are friends. They get along. When she asked to come with me, I thought it would be controlling to say no. In retrospect, I see how stupid this was, and that I was being manipulated. It was inappropriate for her to be there.

The hang out goes VERY POORLY, for obvious reasons. When I go to the hang out, I am a boiling point and I feel like I am going to scream. John can tell. I try to hide it because I don't want to be an inconvenience, and the situation felt insane. However, I can't hold it.

I have a complete melt down. As I do, I try and stop myself. John was sitting right there and I had never shut down like THIS in front of him before. I can't stop. The shut down is happening and I can't hit the breaks. Keep in mind that I also have PTSD. In my house hold growing up it was NOT OKAY TO HAVE THESE SORTS OF MELT DOWNS. If you did, you got punished. So, even though it's not a good idea, I try and make it stop.

John and I are both graphic designers. Sometimes he looks at my work to help me with it. I do the same for him. He points to my website name and says it out loud. My website's name is my name.

Instead of saying my name, though, he says my sister's.

I lose it and now I am exploding outwards. My body goes on autopilot. I am not controlling anything I am doing anymore. I am furious.

"My name is Jane. Don't worry, though! Katy's right over there. Go talk to her"

This made no sense. Obviously he knew my name. We had been seeing each for a year. But by that point I was so confused I truly believed he forgot my name for a second. He can see that I am angry and tries to get my attention.

"Jane, I said J T. I did not say Katy"

Jane is my first name and T was my middle initial. So, i could see the confusion. However, it didn't matter anymore. I was gone. He starts to speak to me in a specific tone and says "Jane" "Jane" "Jane?" over and over to bring me back.

I turn away from him and move to another table. It felt childish, and I could see he was trying to help. But, I just needed to decompress. John keeps asking me questions, and finally gets me back into the conversation.

I try my best to become a part of it, but it doesn't really work. We both left in a strange mood. He was concerned, hurt, and confused. I was angry. I could tell by the look in his eyes he honestly didn't mean to say Katy's name.

Katy seemed oblivious to the whole thing. She couldn't figure out why "John was so upset". I explained to her it probably had to deal with my attitude. She said that "she highly doubted it" and added "If I can't tell when you're angry, then he sure as hell can't!"

John and our dates have been exactly the same for the past year. They're always quiet, calm, and collected. We're typically in peace with each other. Once Katy showed up, that changed. I was no longer sitting next to him and was not responding in the way I normally would.

Humiliated, I sent John an e-mail apologizing for the way I acted. Then I became severely depressed. I am so over stimulated I can't bring myself to answer messages, e-mails or phone calls unless it's school/work related.

I know I need to talk to John and tell him the whole story, but I just can't find the strength. I tried to find a way to calm down but I can't. I am too upset. Too much is going on. I thought maybe if I wrote my story on here it would help.

When you feel over stimulated like this, what do you do? Do you have certain coping mechanisms?

Even if you don't know how to help, thank you for at least hearing the story. Being able to write it all down makes me feel a lot better.
Wow. You have some destructive people around you. I hope you can get some distance from your sister (i.e., moving out). With regard to the post-meltdown, have you looked into mindfulness? There's lots of material online about its practice.

Everything in your post says that John is a hot guy. You cannot allow him to run around cavorting with other women or he will be gone. He isn't that smart with kids and all and no wife or LTR along with that so he is probably easily seduced.

Don't go crazy jealous gf on him, but start finding ways to be with him as much as possible in a nonchalant way to minimize the chance of one of the succubi at work putting their claws into him.

About the whole meltdown: Who cares. You made a mistake, went apeshit. What lasting negative side effects will this have? None. Did you lose your entire net worth? Did you have a kid with a guy that won't stick around? People make mistakes that are way worse than having a public meltdown.

Also start setting boundaries regarding privacy. Why does anyone know that you are on these forums? Your sister is one of the worst possible people to know that, and she does.

Students at your college like to harass women? Sexual harassment lawsuit. #MeToo etc. Whatever feminist sexual misconduct nuclear media bomb you can turn it into should be enough to fix it. Maybe you can get paid enough to move out of your sisters place. I don't understand why you haven't done this yet.

Focus on John; screw the haters, and screw your sister, she sounds like a manipulative instigator. Don't let people who are acting like they are your enemies get into your head or get into your business. They're only out to hurt you and John.

It's okay to feel the way you feel. You are never wrong to feel the way you feel. The question is, what are you going to do with it?

I don't know any "hacks" or quick-fix techniques that'll pull you out of this; you're in a situation that would be very upsetting for anyone. It's totally understandable that you'd feel how you do.

But the sense I get from your post is that you're giving control to others for no good reason. You're essentially giving them permission to tear chunks out of you like a wild dog. It may not be part of your personality, but you need to take control of the situation.

What I mean is that you might want to get a little more possessive of John. Do you love him? Have you told him you love him? I get the sense that your relationship would fit the label of "it's complicated". If you want John, I would commit to him, thus creating an entity known as a "relationship", and that gives you something to protect against the other women who are moving in on him, which I find disturbing that that's going on.

So I think the fix for how you're feeling right now is to pick yourself up, make a plan, and execute it. Don't get me wrong, it's okay to feel down, it's okay to be depressed, everything is okay with how you feel. That's where you are right now; question is, where do you want to be?

Sending e-hugs, I hope you feel better soon.

You have a very very good point. After I wrote the story down I thought about it for a long time. I realized

1. My sister has to take responsibility for her actions. What she did WAS manipulative, mean, and ****ed up. I keep giving her the benefit of the doubt, and that's not fair to John and I.

2. I need to have more faith in John and believe what HE says. I don't know why I am believing these other women. Our relationship isn't any of their business!! They're purposely trying to tear us a part. I shouldn't listen to what they're saying!

You're right. I need to get control back of this situation. It's definitely out of hand, and I think it's out of hand because I let it. I need to re-focus. v____v. If I spent 1/3 of my time on John versus dealing with these women, I'd be a lot better.

I let my insecurities get the best of me. And thank you. I think I needed to have a little wake up!

Everything in your post says that John is a hot guy. You cannot allow him to run around cavorting with other women or he will be gone. He isn't that smart with kids and all and no wife or LTR along with that so he is probably easily seduced.

Don't go crazy jealous gf on him, but start finding ways to be with him as much as possible in a nonchalant way to minimize the chance of one of the succubi at work putting their claws into him.

About the whole meltdown: Who cares. You made a mistake, went apeshit. What lasting negative side effects will this have? None. Did you lose your entire net worth? Did you have a kid with a guy that won't stick around? People make mistakes that are way worse than having a public meltdown.

Also start setting boundaries regarding privacy. Why does anyone know that you are on these forums? Your sister is one of the worst possible people to know that, and she does.

Students at your college like to harass women? Sexual harassment lawsuit. #MeToo etc. Whatever feminist sexual misconduct nuclear media bomb you can turn it into should be enough to fix it. Maybe you can get paid enough to move out of your sisters place. I don't understand why you haven't done this yet.

John is a very VERY good looking guy! And he is actually pretty good with his kids, too. That's why everyone loves him so much. Most of the girls seem to stress him out, though? He gets along with my sister but he also thinks she is extremely inappropriate. Before John and I started dating, she tried flirting with him and he shut that down REAL fast.

So, I guess I am not worried. I am just hurt, and angry at my sister. You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have told my sister that I was on this website. I need to be more strict with my boundaries and not let her push me around.

I don't think John is mad at me about the melt down. I definitely don't think it ruined anything. I am just overwhelmed. My sister might be manipulative, but she's my sister! I didn't think she would do something this toxic. :/ But, I think I learned my lesson. Time to put my foot down!

I have shutdowns more than meltdowns but I had a meltdown the other night and am feeling terrible about it and am hearing from my wife how I am a bad person. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom