• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hello! not diagnosed, confused

Cheesephetamine

Confused aspie
Hello! My name is Freya, I'm a 38 years old Spanish nurse living in the UK since 2015 and since I can remember I have been seen by multiple doctors and I have been diagnosed with eating disorders, anxiety, depression, and borderline personality disorder. I never felt like i fully fitted in any of those diagnosis but I still let them medicate and treat me.

A while ago I was talking to my husband about how hard it is to me to create relationships at work and how I feel a social inept and he said that i remind him of Sheldon Cooper (not only on that but on many other things) and that i might be Aspergers. At first I dismissed it but out of curiosity I started watching some youtube videos and reading about ASD especially in women and all started to click into place. I feel 90% reflected in the traits of ASD (Aspergers) but I don't know how to get diagnosed. I have an appointment with my GP as I want to be weaned off the medication I'm taking at the moment. I do not think it's doing me any good and I want to be chemical free to have an assessment. I would like to know what do I have to do to be referred and what to expect from the assessment. No one in the uk can give witness of my childhood, my whole family is in Spain and they don't speak English. I only have my husband. Would my own experience be enough to be assessed? Thank you

upload_2019-5-8_17-24-44.png

These are some of the tests that I was assessed with, by a Dr. who studied at Harvard.
  • Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition (ADOS-2)
  • Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS-2), Adult Version, self report
  • Sensory Profile, Adolescent/Adult Version
  • Delis-Kaplan System of Executive Function (D-KEFS), Selected subtest

Thank you Luna! I might not seek diagnosis after all. I’m very sure I am an aspie and I don’t think a diagnosis will change anything as I don’t need to apply for DLA. I just want to be weaned of my meds and I’ll be happy to “just” have my own diagnosis. I know myself and I’m a nurse after all. I’ll be ok without a paper saying I’m an aspie. Anyway, having said that I will have a look at those tests online tomorrow!

Totally understand that, for me the test just confirmed everything I've already known and discovered on my own but it's helpful to have proof for my family or future schooling for testing accommodations. That's great you trust yourself and know what is best for you :)

Hi @Cheesephetamine and welcome tongue community :)

In the UK diagnosis is quite useful, especially in your line of work. It instantly puts you into a protected category under the Equalities Act, and puts you in a stronger position in any work disputes should you need it. DLA as I'm sure you know, isn't being issued tonnes claimants any more since the despicable PIP is replacing it, despite it's failures and you would be very unlikely to get it even if you applied. Not for autism.
The first step to diagnosis you already have in hand - your GP needs to refer you. Next comes a preliminary assessment followed later by a full assessment that can take many different forms depending on where you live and alsomthe practitioners preferred method.
Your parents don't need to be part of the process but they will be very keen to talk to your husband :)

Welcome to the forums!
I am not in UK, but, I wasn't diagnosed until age 58 and had no family left alive.
So, yes, definitely you can still get diagnosed without someone to verify your childhood.
I would go for it.

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with getting diagnosed, I also live in a foreign country and it is indeed possible to get a diagnosis without family present, in my case it just took a bit longer than many.

I am on the other end lol I am native of the uk, but live in France.

I have read everywhere that aspergers is not recognised in France and especially in females!

My husband has to be with me, when I see my psychiatrist, due to the language ( I panic too easily) and it was he that asked about a diagnosis for aspergers and much to my surprise, it was all go from there.

Basically, your husband should be your "unbiased" witness, due to the fact that you live with each other. My husband's words had great impact, I feel, with the diagnosis.

Wish you all the best.

Welkome to the forums :)

Reg the stopping of meds i can understand this as i havent wont ever go on any meds for my multiple diagnosis (whats alredy broken is broken and i learnt to deal with it my self as best i can) BUT since you have gone on them & youre a nurse you should be able to agree with me that it MIGHT be a BAD desition and start to mess with youre life. SO utliest talk to youre doc and be prepared and willing to go back on them IF you feel things are going out of control. We both know how hard this diagnose (yes i have them as well) can strike down on us. + I also heard of many that quits there meds and things go BAD fast :( (ie said previous symptoms /Tics /problems are back stronger then ever :eek: )

Either way i wish you GOOD luck & respect you're desitions :)

Last edited:
I second what Autistamatic says, it's useful. You never know, with aging dx might help. It is also liberating and validating. They give out questionnaires which you can ask your family to fill, even by talking on phone so that's not a problem. I was diagnosed long ago, so things might have changed. I think one of their referral criteria is that it affects your life, it would make a material difference. In your case you have all those mental health conditions and potentially a misdiagnosis of BPD. It is common for females to be misdiagnosed with that. You could just tell you GP as you told us here that it affected you all your life, you recognise yourself more in ASD than BPD and you really want that cleared, you want to rule out BPD (or not). Stop unhelpful labels and treatments and start the helpful ones.

Maybe you can help me with something I have been wondering about. With Climate Change is the rain in Spain still mainly falling on the plain?

;)

Anyway, lots of people don't seek official diagnosis, so don't feel like you have to. For some, doing the research and just now knowing is enough. It mostly depends on whether it will have, or may have some tangible benefit for you. Also, even with a diagnosis you can limit whom you tell. Many only tell very close/trusted people, like spouse, family etc. It is in most all situations private information.

Hi @Cheesephetamine and welcome tongue community :)

In the UK diagnosis is quite useful, especially in your line of work. It instantly puts you into a protected category under the Equalities Act, and puts you in a stronger position in any work disputes should you need it. DLA as I'm sure you know, isn't being issued tonnes claimants any more since the despicable PIP is replacing it, despite it's failures and you would be very unlikely to get it even if you applied. Not for autism.
The first step to diagnosis you already have in hand - your GP needs to refer you. Next comes a preliminary assessment followed later by a full assessment that can take many different forms depending on where you live and alsomthe practitioners preferred method.
Your parents don't need to be part of the process but they will be very keen to talk to your husband :)
Ok! I will mention it to my GP. I guess i have nothing to loose

New Threads

Top Bottom