• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello. I am Dennis S and I am diagnosed in USA with ASD

Dennis S

V.I.P Member
Hello.

I live in the US. I am very interested in meetings aspies living in Germany. I am studying German and I hope to one day relocate to Germany. I have tried to use the German site aspie.de but I cannot figure out how to post to it. I have a login but I can read the forum notices only and cannot post. I have been unable to contact any of the administrators because I cannot post. It is a dilemma. Can anyone help me?

Ich habe ein Login. Ich kann nur "Moderation und Forenangelegenheiten" lesen. Ich kann nicht posten. Bitte hilf mir. Ich bin autistisch diagnostiziert und ich muss das Forum wirklich nutzen. Ich erhalte die Meldung "Zugriff verweigert. Sie sind nicht berechtigt, diese Seite anzuzeigen." Bitte hilf mir.

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Welcome, @Dennis S! :)

I live in Germany.

I am not a member of the aspies.de forum, so I am not familiar with the registration process etc. there and can't help with your problem.

I am happy to have connected with you. While my dilemma with aspie.de is a nuisance, I feel hopeful that a solution will be found. My reason for having joined the Selbsthilfeforum is to connect with aspies in Germany or who are native German speakers. I want to learn as much as I can about the aspie community there before my first visit which I plan for the Spring of 2022 covid notwithstanding. I had plan to go in early 2020 but restrictions made that impractical. I have lived in the UK for several years as well as in Morocco and on two West Indian islands so I do have living experience outside of the US.

Churchill opined that the United States had gone from barbarism to decadence without a period of civilization. I find much truth in that. The US doesn't work for me. Too much individualism, too much nationalism, too much capitalism, too much christianity. I need a saner place to spend my life. I am under no illusion that Germany is a paradise or that it is without significant social problems. I am drawn to Germany because the society has turned away from war as a means of establishing its place in the World. I am drawn to Germany because the governments embrace consensus. I am drawn to Germany because it makes real attempts at dealing with climate change. I am drawn to Germany because it values its citizens enough to see the necessity for access to education, housing, and medical science. I am drawn to Germany because organized religion is playing an ever smaller part in life. In a world beset by madness, it is a bit less mad.

My language learning has been difficult. I recently decided that the traditional ways language is taught don't work for me. Perhaps it's my attention deficit disorder and perhaps it's because I want to be able to speak with people more than I want to read Schiller or parse a sentence. I recently found a native speaker with whom I am practicing and I hope to find others. Considering how many languages are spoken here in Northern California, native German speakers are a rare breed. I grew up in New York where speakers of German and the Yiddish dialect of German were common. But that was over a half century ago and America has a way of turning the children and grandchildren of immigrants into monolinguists. There is quite a bit of hostility toward the foreign born in the US. My mother was insistent I speak only English. As a teenager growing up in Florida, she saw her Jewish neighbor murdered and her own family's property confiscated by white nationalists. It was a trauma from which she never fully recovered. The recent elections have demonstrated that this tendency is very much alive in the US. I feel like getting out while I am still able.

I hope I haven't taken up too much of your time and that you will respond to my ramblings.

392a970e7317096acd31859848b8d521.png

My reason for having joined the Selbsthilfeforum is to connect with aspies in Germany or who are native German speakers. I want to learn as much as I can about the aspie community there before my first visit which I plan for the Spring of 2022 covid notwithstanding.
I agree that it makes sense to learn about this before visiting. Unfortunately, I am not really involved in any sort of German aspie community, so I can't provide information about it.
My language learning has been difficult. I recently decided that the traditional ways language is taught don't work for me. Perhaps it's my attention deficit disorder and perhaps it's because I want to be able to speak with people more than I want to read Schiller or parse a sentence. I recently found a native speaker with whom I am practicing and I hope to find others. Considering how many languages are spoken here in Northern California, native German speakers are a rare breed.
It's great that you found a native speaker to practise with.
Have you considered watching videos by German YouTubers as an additional way of learning about both the German aspie community and the language itself?
If you are interested, I could recommend some channels.
I hope I haven't taken up too much of your time and that you will respond to my ramblings.
Don't worry; it's fine. I sometimes tend to ramble, too, so I understand this.

Any recommendations you have for any materials you have found effective are greatly appreciated.

There is a young man on here from Sweden looking to chat with Americans to work on his English. Maybe you could talk with him?

New Threads

Top Bottom