• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello, everyone!

Time of the Butterflies

Hello, everyone. I'm so grateful that there's a website like this to express my thoughts and feelings to other people about my Asperger's for the very first time in my life.

I have no official diagnosis; however, I have been suspecting that I have Asperger's. It all makes sense to me that I would have it.

I took the Asperger's test at RDOS operating system and the Neanderthal theory and these are the results I received:
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 89 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

I took this test back in March and received 155 out of 200 for the first score. I'm 17 years old, a boy, and have suspected that I have Asperger's for around a year or so. I had a friend who had Asperger's in fifth grade, and I started to act like him at home. I don't know why. I remember how my mom once called me a retard because she was so mad at me for something I did wrong, and I cried in my room for hours upon hours. She said sorry of course, but I remember that it triggered something inside me. I was maybe ten. That was the first time I had ever considered that I had a disorder.

I have never been to see a doctor about this because I haven't told anyone yet. What if it's all a figment of my imagination? What if they don't believe me? What if my parents just laugh at me and not listen to me?

I was homeschooled from first through fourth grade, which has had a significant effect on me in every aspect of my life, but I always blamed being homeschooled for the fact that I didn't have any friends. I would occasionally go over to someone's house in middle school, but I was so lonely. Seventh grade was the worst--I remember coming home from school and crying about the fact that everyone just felt sorry for me and I had no one to talk to. I thought everyone hated me because no one would ever genuinely talk to me.

In a way, I think this has helped me to become independent. I don't rely on others for major things: emotional support, help with homework, or other things. I guess I've managed to do things on my own. My parents, of course, take care of me and I'm technically still dependent on them, but I would consider myself to be mostly independent. This has caused me to keep everything in and not tell people about things that are really bothering me.

Since I was 13, I have known I am bisexual. I have been with both genders and can confirm that I am bisexual. Only a select few know.

I guess what I'm looking for is some input on my situation. Do I have Asperger's? Should I tell someone? Should I not tell someone? Whenever I tell someone something big, I instantly regret it and feel like I should keep everything inside me so I can still retain some part of me. I don't know. I freak out if something doesn't go my way, but I realize that I can't do that in public so I rarely do. In addition, when someone gets too emotionally close to me, I have a tendency to run away from it. I don't know why; I guess I have myself convinced that I can support myself. I don't need anyone else in my life to be successful. That's probably something terrible to think, but that has been my mindset for a very long time as a result of my period of loneliness.

High school has continued to be somewhat difficult for me. I struggle to deal with simple things like where to sit in the gym and with whom during assemblies. I often worry about it the entire week and freak myself out about it even though it mostly ends up being good. Lunch is also a struggle; last year, I ended up in the bathroom every single day. I had some people I knew with whom I could sit at lunch, but I freaked myself out over it. What if they don't want me there? I wasn't really that close with them. What if they hate me? What if they wish I weren't at their lunch table? So, I figured I could support myself.

I have a few close friends whom I have met and stayed friends with for a long time as a result of routine. Maybe I see them in math every day. Maybe we have band together. However, eye contact is something with which I also struggle. When should I look at someone? When should I look away? These side questions often take precedence over the real content of the conversation.

That's a big portion of my life living in uncertainty. Any feedback and/or comments are appreciated because I have never talked to anyone about any of this before. Also, if you've managed to stay on board with me thus far, thank you. I just want to know what I should do.

PS: My username alludes to Julia Alvarez's "In the Time of the Butterflies."

Welcome aboard! :)
Maybe just spend some time hanging around the forum and chat room here. Read through people's accounts of their struggles. Post replies and questions. See what all you identify will. Vanilla will be along with resources soon too.
After spending some time here, if you still feel like you may be on the spectrum, talk to a doctor and try to get a referral for evaluation.
Good luck, hope to see you posting around.

Welcome :)

I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie myself. There are quite a few of us here, and I'm sure you'll find you can learn much more about AS, and how to better deal with it. Of course, school is generally a difficult time for Aspies, as our peers aren't always too kind, and adults may not always take us seriously. In terms of whether you should tell people, this is up to you, but from personal experience, I find it is best only to tell people you feel would understand; but even this can be tricky, as I myself have told people, who I believed would accept me, and have found them to be less than accepting. This would mean you would need to decide between whether you can live with keeping it in, or letting it out (despite how people feel about it). It's a personal choice, as the consequences depend on your own situation.

If you feel you need someone to connect with, this forum can be an amazing gift. Our members are helpful, and friendly, so I hope can feel comfortable being yourself here. If you would like to learn more about AS, to see if you feel this is something you may have, feel free to join discussions, and ask questions. I also recommend checking out our resources section: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

In terms of not knowing how to behave, and feeling anxious worrying if people will accept you, my advise is this. Over time, you will learn that you are you, and not what others expect you to be. Of course, you do not have to turn your backs on them, but do not feel obligated to let their image of you rule who you are, and who you want to be as a person. Learn to understand yourself, and make your own choices.

Hi there. I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie. In my teenage years, I remember struggling with many of the same issues you describe. My online test scores are:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200

I understand your reluctance to share your concerns with anyone IRL. Is there any way you can see a psychologist without having to let your parents know? Does your school provide any confidential services?

For now, welcome to AC. Enjoy the forum.

I am a diagnosed Aspie and this was my rdos score. Very similar to Cali's scores
I got a 34 of 40 on the wired AQ test

Hi there. You are welcome here! I thought I was gay or bi in HS and beyond also and it can be a very hard time. For me, I found out that I'm not, I just wanted friendships but just wanted to tell you that. We come from all walks of life here.

HS times is so hard! It was for me. I totally relate to not knowing when to look at someone or when to look away. That's an Aspie trait. I think it's a great idea that someone had if you could see a doc confidentially at school or elsewhere. It may help you to have a diagnosis. I am self-diagnosed, but am going to see a doc on Nov. 21 to get a professional diagnosis. For me, I feel that I need this. Although I am 95% sure I have this thing!

Welcome again. Glad you are here. Hang in there!

Welcome aboard! :)
Maybe just spend some time hanging around the forum and chat room here. Read through people's accounts of their struggles. Post replies and questions. See what all you identify will. Vanilla will be along with resources soon too.
After spending some time here, if you still feel like you may be on the spectrum, talk to a doctor and try to get a referral for evaluation.
Good luck, hope to see you posting around.
Thank you. I'm hoping to see what happens on this forum and how other people with it feel about certain things.

Welcome :)

I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie myself. There are quite a few of us here, and I'm sure you'll find you can learn much more about AS, and how to better deal with it. Of course, school is generally a difficult time for Aspies, as our peers aren't always too kind, and adults may not always take us seriously. In terms of whether you should tell people, this is up to you, but from personal experience, I find it is best only to tell people you feel would understand; but even this can be tricky, as I myself have told people, who I believed would accept me, and have found them to be less than accepting. This would mean you would need to decide between whether you can live with keeping it in, or letting it out (despite how people feel about it). It's a personal choice, as the consequences depend on your own situation.

If you feel you need someone to connect with, this forum can be an amazing gift. Our members are helpful, and friendly, so I hope can feel comfortable being yourself here. If you would like to learn more about AS, to see if you feel this is something you may have, feel free to join discussions, and ask questions. I also recommend checking out our resources section: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

In terms of not knowing how to behave, and feeling anxious worrying if people will accept you, my advise is this. Over time, you will learn that you are you, and not what others expect you to be. Of course, you do not have to turn your backs on them, but do not feel obligated to let their image of you rule who you are, and who you want to be as a person. Learn to understand yourself, and make your own choices.
Thank you so much. I think I've been affected by other people's opinions so much that I don't know how to behave. I just have to remember that I'm the only one who can tell myself what's right and wrong.

Hi there. I'm a self-diagnosed Aspie. In my teenage years, I remember struggling with many of the same issues you describe. My online test scores are:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200

I understand your reluctance to share your concerns with anyone IRL. Is there any way you can see a psychologist without having to let your parents know? Does your school provide any confidential services?

For now, welcome to AC. Enjoy the forum.
Thank you. I mean I have a school counselor who's really sweet, but I think she might be too worried and say something to either my siblings or my parents. Or they would ask why I keep seeing her because I think it goes on record. But I'll look into that further.

Hi there. You are welcome here! I thought I was gay or bi in HS and beyond also and it can be a very hard time. For me, I found out that I'm not, I just wanted friendships but just wanted to tell you that. We come from all walks of life here.

HS times is so hard! It was for me. I totally relate to not knowing when to look at someone or when to look away. That's an Aspie trait. I think it's a great idea that someone had if you could see a doc confidentially at school or elsewhere. It may help you to have a diagnosis. I am self-diagnosed, but am going to see a doc on Nov. 21 to get a professional diagnosis. For me, I feel that I need this. Although I am 95% sure I have this thing!

Welcome again. Glad you are here. Hang in there!
Thank you so much. That helped. I mean I don't see why I wouldn't be bi; I know I enjoy both genders. But could it really all be that I just want a friend?

One of my best friends had unknowingly been pursuing me because she wanted to be in a relationship with me, and I confronted her about it and that I didn't want to be in a relationship with her. I just didn't really like her. But why? I realized I just wanted a friend. So that happened.

I only know when to look at someone's eyes when I talk to my sister or my little brother. The rest of the conversations I have involve me worrying about when to look at the person and when to look away.

I hope everything goes well the 21st! Honestly I think that the best thing you can do is be certain that you have it. Then you can move forward with your life.

Thank you so much for your nice words.

Thank you so much. That helped. I mean I don't see why I wouldn't be bi; I know I enjoy both genders. But could it really all be that I just want a friend?
I'm bisexual too! I would love to chat about this topic with others. There is so much I am curious to discuss. I "KNOW" that I am bisexual because I have/had dreams of both! I find it pleasurable in the dreams! I do not need to experience lovers just to intrinsically know what fantasies I desire. I choose celibacy! for far too long, heh. Lady of "certain age" oh my goodness, I have some difficulties right NOW. I know I am bisexual, but I am not nymphomanic like popular culture and media would suggest.

Of course, this is only my opinion. It may be different for you.

Yes, Some people *could* say that my affection for my bestest best lady friend is misplaced friend affection. It *might* actually be true since I recall zero close friends that were ever THAT close to me. I had friends, yes, I have sister, yes, but never THAT close. I'm really happy and excited and scared-vulnerable about it! She's beautiful, she's single, she has way too crazy kids to contemplate (in a long term way that I think that would wish for a partner). oh, sighs, she really wants me to "help" her own lust issues from being lonely (at a "certain age"), she is open to the idea of trying lesbian/bisexual!!!!!!!!! It's just me! I hold back!!!!!!!! argh!!!! She's a heartbreaker........ I'm a huge prude. Apparently, so shy! You can blame religious background , too if you wish. They call lesbians a sin, but isn't all sex outside of marriage a sin? oh, dangerous thoughts,.....

There is this guy,...... I love...... Well, he would stare at me always....... I think HE might have autism? but that's the drama, not yours. ; ) welcome! Good luck, finding what you desire in a mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a confusing world out there! I'm ,er, ah, ahem, 38 (birthday ~ Halloween) I'm still trying to figure it out. Oh, and I'm not sure how Aspie I am. I am happy though.....

Last edited:
I'm bisexual too! I would love to chat about this topic with others. There is so much I am curious to discuss. I "KNOW" that I am bisexual because I have/had dreams of both! I find it pleasurable in the dreams! I do not need to experience lovers just to intrinsically know what fantasies I desire. I choose celibacy! for far too long, heh. Lady of "certain age" oh my goodness, I have some difficulties right NOW. I know I am bisexual, but I am not nymphomanic like popular culture and media would suggest.

Of course, this is only my opinion. It may be different for you.

Yes, Some people *could* say that my affection for my bestest best lady friend is misplaced friend affection. It *might* actually be true since I recall zero close friends that were ever THAT close to me. I had friends, yes, I have sister, yes, but never THAT close. I'm really happy and excited and scared-vulnerable about it! She's beautiful, she's single, she has way too crazy kids to contemplate (in a long term way that I think that would wish for a partner). oh, sighs, she really wants me to "help" her own lust issues from being lonely (at a "certain age"), she is open to the idea of trying lesbian/bisexual!!!!!!!!! It's just me! I hold back!!!!!!!! argh!!!! She's a heartbreaker........ I'm a huge prude. Apparently, so shy! You can blame religious background , too if you wish. They call lesbians a sin, but isn't all sex outside of marriage a sin? oh, dangerous thoughts,.....

There is this guy,...... I love...... Well, he would stare at me always....... I think HE might have autism? but that's the drama, not yours. ; ) welcome! Good luck, finding what you desire in a mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a confusing world out there! I'm ,er, ah, ahem, 38 (birthday ~ Halloween) I'm still trying to figure it out. Oh, and I'm not sure how Aspie I am. I am happy though.....
Wow, hello! It's nice to meet you! I think I feel the exact same way. When did you first suspect that you were interested in girls too? At a young age, or further along?

I can't choose either one. There are pros and cons to both boys and girls, you know? Boys make my heart melt, but girls can be my best friends. I can start a family with a girl, and that makes my heart melt. I'm not open about it; I've only told my sister, two of my friends, and two of my ex-boyfriends. I fear that so many people would tell me that I have to choose when, in reality, it's not always black and white. Are they experiencing what I'm experiencing? No. So why should they try to figure things out for me?

I was leaning more toward boys a year ago, but I have since been back and forth either way. I've had the opportunity to be with both genders (not at once), but I rejected both of them like you. I don't know why, either. Am I scared? Do I just not want to make a commitment? Or do I not want to deviate from focusing on myself and my life?

Just my personal story...
Many people say their orientation is unchanging, and that may be true for them, but for me it turned out to be more changeable.
I was sort of bisexual when I was younger, (i'm female btw) but as I got older, the sexual attraction for my own sex morphed into a realization and appreciation of the fact that I had a sexuality within myself that could (potentially) be shared with someone of the opposite sex. ("potentially" because I'm not actually involved with anyone). As if the fascination with others of my own sex was a preparation for realizing that the same thing I admired within them was something I already had within myself.
I still have an admiration for the bodies of those of my own sex, but in a platonic aesthetic way, like what I would feel for a beautiful tree or something else in nature.
Now, older, sexual attraction, for me, includes the realization of how our different bodies are biologically suited to complement each other, and can potentially play a part in reproduction.

Anyway, I haven't actually been involved with anyone. although I don't care to go into the reasons here. There was only one actual person I felt any strong desire to be involved with (a man) but I chose not to act on it.
Okay, all the above might sound kind of weird.
Anyway, welcome to AspiesCentral

New Threads

Top Bottom