• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone!

Garnet

Hi. I am a 19 year old from Virginia and I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 6. (along with depression and anxiety, which I struggled with a lot in my middle and high school years. No clue how they knew when I was 6 though.) My parents chose not to tell me, though. I first realized I was different around the first or second grade. In my teen years I hated that I had aspergers, as I didn't really get along with any of the other aspies I had met (there weren't many), so all I really knew was the stigma. And people were mean to me on another aspie forum which shall remain unnamed. However as an adult I have discovered better parts of the online autism community and have started to really identify as an aspie and an autistic person. I guess I'm just on here to make more aspie and autistic friends as well as participate in some discussions that aren't really suited to blog format.

I've, as well, met some other aspies in real life. It was weird. It was like we had so much to say, so much in common, but we stay mostly silent.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying life.

Tell us, what do you like to do, how's life going? I would like to know you. XD

Hi. I am a 19 year old from Virginia and I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 6. (along with depression and anxiety, which I struggled with a lot in my middle and high school years. No clue how they knew when I was 6 though.) My parents chose not to tell me, though. I first realized I was different around the first or second grade. In my teen years I hated that I had aspergers, as I didn't really get along with any of the other aspies I had met (there weren't many), so all I really knew was the stigma. And people were mean to me on another aspie forum which shall remain unnamed. However as an adult I have discovered better parts of the online autism community and have started to really identify as an aspie and an autistic person. I guess I'm just on here to make more aspie and autistic friends as well as participate in some discussions that aren't really suited to blog format.

Welcome Garnet. Hopefully this forum can serve to answer some very complex questions for you as it has for myself...and in a very short amount of time. I too have comorbid conditions of depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder along with AS. My parents thought there was something different about me, and pursued it. However being so many years ago, it went undiagnosed even amongst medical professionals. Only after a lifetime am I just beginning to understand why my life has been a constant struggle.

Hopefully as with so many of you who have found out much earlier, you can learn to adapt and be as happy as is possible.

Sic Semper Tyrannis ;)

What do I like to do? I really like online games (mostly ones involving virtual pets), reading about various topics that interest me, crystals and gemstones, playing with my dogs, and watching crime and medical tv shows.

I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't known there were others like me for most of my life! I'm glad asperger's was a thing when I was growing up and that my mom was overprotective enough to bring me to a psychiatrist when I was in Kindergarten because I said "I never feel happy anymore." What I actually meant by that is that SHE never did things with me anymore to make me happy, like take me to museums and parks. Which was understandable because she had just had my sister. Then the psychiatrist somehow realized I was an aspie.

Hi Garnet, welcome to AC! I like your photos of sunsets you've posted on another thread. Looks great :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom