• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone

cory

I'm new to these types of forums; I guess I'll explain why I am here. I always knew there was something different about me, or rather differences became obvious to me at a young age. Most pronounced was that I realized I didn't think or socialize like other kids. Some things that seemed to come easily to other people were incredibly difficult to me (I now know this is theory of mind along with problems in my short term memory) but things that were incredibly difficult for most came easily to me (mathematics, science, "outside-the-box thinking", music). Aspergers was something I related to whenever I was introduced to the subject. I read "thinking in pictures" a few years ago. I remember that it felt reassuring to know other people visualize thought in a similar manner to me. Sometimes I get an impulse to look into or explore something and I become fixated upon it. This time it was/is Aspergers. I like numbers and wanted to see how I scored on some of the available diagnostic tests. I'm way into the aspie range on everything I've taken. Aspie test: 152/200 aspie 74/200 NT. EQ: 11. FQ: 39. It seemed the most oft taken or most trusted were the AQ and RAADS-R so I took them twice. AQ (1st time): 34 (second time): 41. RAADS-R (first time): 204 (second time):186. If these diagnostic tests are accurate there's really only one conclusion I can draw. I guess I would call myself a self-diagnosed aspie. The realization feels great; it explains so much of my life that I couldn't understand.

I'm new to these types of forums; I guess I'll explain why I am here. I always knew there was something different about me, or rather differences became obvious to me at a young age. Most pronounced was that I realized I didn't think or socialize like other kids. Some things that seemed to come easily to other people were incredibly difficult to me (I now know this is theory of mind along with problems in my short term memory) but things that were incredibly difficult for most came easily to me (mathematics, science, "outside-the-box thinking", music). Aspergers was something I related to whenever I was introduced to the subject. I read "thinking in pictures" a few years ago. I remember that it felt reassuring to know other people visualize thought in a similar manner to me. Sometimes I get an impulse to look into or explore something and I become fixated upon it. This time it was/is Aspergers. I like numbers and wanted to see how I scored on some of the available diagnostic tests. I'm way into the aspie range on everything I've taken. Aspie test: 152/200 aspie 74/200 NT. EQ: 11. FQ: 39. It seemed the most oft taken or most trusted were the AQ and RAADS-R so I took them twice. AQ (1st time): 34 (second time): 41. RAADS-R (first time): 204 (second time):186. If these diagnostic tests are accurate there's really only one conclusion I can draw. I guess I would call myself a self-diagnosed aspie. The realization feels great; it explains so much of my life that I couldn't understand.

Hello and welcome Cory :)

My story is similar to yours... I've also always felt different, couldn't put my finger on why though.

I'm the same in that once I get an idea into my head, I become fixated on it and NEED to know more, I get kind of obsessed over it... Aspergers is that thing right now.

I also did the tests and found according to them I am within the frame for AS. I am starting therapy for high anxiety and depression next month so I'm going to broach the subject with my therapist.

I find that many, many things are now explainable to me about myself since finding AS.

This place is a wealth of information and support, and there are some really friendly people :)

Welcome to AC Cory. Hopefully you'll get even a better idea of being on the spectrum through interacting with so many here who may well share a lot in common with you.

I've read that psychiatric issues are common among aspies. I'm bipolar and have been seeing theapist (s) (I've moved around a lot and had to switch doctors) for about 10 years. One of my therapists suggested aspergers in an unconventional way...one that I could understand. My father also worked with developmentally disabled children and he made several observations about me that are in line with aspergers. In regards to being on the spectrum I'm so high functioning that I have learned how to "fake" or "copy" actions or behaviors. And I've spent most of my life compensating for not possessing the reflex that others have interpreting social cues. I've gotten so good at these things only the people who know me best can tell I'm so different. But it feels incredibly good to know others have a similar way of perceiving the world than I do.

I've read that psychiatric issues are common among aspies. I'm bipolar and have been seeing theapist (s) (I've moved around a lot and had to switch doctors) for about 10 years. One of my therapists suggested aspergers in an unconventional way...one that I could understand. My father also worked with developmentally disabled children and he made several observations about me that are in line with aspergers. In regards to being on the spectrum I'm so high functioning that I have learned how to "fake" or "copy" actions or behaviors. And I've spent most of my life compensating for not possessing the reflex that others have interpreting social cues. I've gotten so good at these things only the people who know me best can tell I'm so different. But it feels incredibly good to know others have a similar way of perceiving the world than I do.

Yep. They're called "comorbid conditions". I've been formally diagnosed with social anxiety, OCD and chronic clinical depression at a time when Asperger's Syndrome was just beginning to be formally accepted in the US medical community.

As for mimicking Neurotypical behavior to varying extents, yes that's something I've done most of my adult life. Yet it always leaves me physically and mentally exhausted when doing it for several hours at a time. Even when it's socially successful for me to have done so. Yet no one who ever knew me ever suspected or pondered the possibility of me being on the spectrum. I discovered it almost accidentally all on my own.

"Almost accidentally on my own". Yup can relate to this. I have no idea what triggered me to enter the word aspergers into a search engine. A few days ago I just woke up and did it. When things like that happen I think that some part of my brain has been working it over until I become aware of it. Like an "ah-ha" or "eureka" moment. I've learned to trust these thoughts/instincts more so than something I have tried to discern logically.

"Almost accidentally on my own". Yup can relate to this. I have no idea what triggered me to enter the word aspergers into a search engine. A few days ago I just woke up and did it. When things like that happen I think that some part of my brain has been working it over until I become aware of it. Like an "ah-ha" or "eureka" moment. I've learned to trust these thoughts/instincts more so than something I have tried to discern logically.

It was a somewhat slow process for me. Initiated by watching a Natl Geo tv show on social taboos. Learned about this thing called Aspergers Syndrome in the process. Got me curious and I just kept going....even getting past my own skepticism which was pretty intense at times.

I think at other points in my life I would have resisted or felt angered at being labeled. Not just aspie but I had an aversion to labels in general. I "keep going" on a subject that interests me as well. I feel the need to know the subject from all angles. Right now it's aspergers.

New Threads

Top Bottom