• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you "outgrown" any ASD-related behaviors?

Yes and no.

When I was a small child I used to hand flap and have little "spasms" when under stress. My parents made me stop when I was about nine. I completely forgot I ever did that, and even blocked it from my memory.

Then I was diagnosed with cancer, and now it's happening all over again. I think it's stress again. So whenever I think about something worrysome, all of a sudden my arms fling out and I shudder, kind of like how a newborn has a "startle response".

Not outgrown them, just learned to manage them more effectively. Not so likely to melt down, better recognition and control over emotions, emotional materity. Knowledge that comes with experience. More confident. More security, less stress, better environment - work from home with individuals, as opposed to working in a school with groups, and environment I can't cope with. Improve the environment and reduce the stress and anxiety, and many of the issues are mitigated. Put myself in the wrong environment though, and those childhood symptoms will soon manifest themselves.

Also when I'm really scared, I will say "Mama" really softly under my breath. I don't mean to, it just happens.

Also when I'm really scared, I will say "Mama" really softly under my breath. I don't mean to, it just happens.

That was the last thing I said to my mother when I discovered that she had died.

Though for my whole life I called her "Mom".

Last edited:
I am still a word for word reader and will not/cannot skim read something. Good to know I share this with others and that I never let it discourage my love of reading.

I have gotten better with eye contact but still struggle at times. I feel ashamed because people think I am trying to hide something or that I am mentally off but in reality, it just pain is difficult and makes me feel unsafe and feel weird inside.

Haven't outgrown many. Probably the only one I can think of is I'm not repulsed at food touching
on my plate. That just went away around 10 without thinking about it.

I didn't know I was autistic until I had lived my life just thinking I was different and very anxiety
filled. I knew panic attacks weren't normal.
When I had to start living with someone besides my parents, and that wasn't until I was in my 50's,
I knew I would need to act/mask like never before in hopes the person would not think of me as
what he called "messed up."
Survival time!
I had to live without a rocking chair, drive alone distances I hadn't before, hold panic attacks inside,
control meltdowns or acting out, stim in ways that aren't so noticeable, eat out everyday with him in restaurants, stay home alone which was always anxiety to me, and try to act my age. Yes, act like other adults even though that's not how I felt.
I'm 62 going on 13 inside!

Now I'm going to bed with my cat pillows and purple unicorn. :rolleyes:

I am still a word for word reader and will not/cannot skim read something. Good to know I share this with others and that I never let it discourage my love of reading.

I have gotten better with eye contact but still struggle at times. I feel ashamed because people think I am trying to hide something or that I am mentally off but in reality, it just pain is difficult and makes me feel unsafe and feel weird inside.

Me too. I used to have someone who would read the bible with me almost every day, and then they would explain what it was about. This person was really smart. But they decided to be an atheist. Now I have no one to read with. And I don't understand it. I am so sad about that.

Me too. I used to have someone who would read the bible with me almost every day, and then they would explain what it was about. This person was really smart. But they decided to be an atheist. Now I have no one to read with. And I don't understand it. I am so sad about that.
Have you tried a local bible group to possibly fill this need? I am sorry it makes you feel sad to be missing out on that interaction and activity.

Some of my traits changed, definitely. For example, I used to be a head hitter when I was a toddler. Not that anymore. Used to be unable to touch certain things or walk on carpet. I can now. I just can't stand sticky, slimy, mushy textures (now).

I have many less meltdowns (when I was a kid it was at least 1 if not more per day. Now maybe 1-3 times a month sometimes less!)

I have also desensitized myself to some sensory things such as some clothing and makeup as I really like makeup. I still can't do face masks or foundation makeup but that is ok!

The rest has stayed the same or become worse/more apparent

New Threads

Top Bottom