• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hatred for Low functioning autistics???

Do you hate the low functioning autistics even if they give autism a bad name?

• Total voters

Tigris

As Geordie knows, I have a beef with my old friend whom is kind an elitist aspie who looks down on the uneducated for being gangsters.etc

One day he said that he and a lot of JC aspies and high functioning Aspies refuse to associate with other aspies unlike here in Aspiecentral, becos of Low functioning autistics. In Singapore, There seem to be hatred of the low functioning autistics by the high functioning population here. The widespread belief is that low functioning autistics [Those with mental retardation, bite people.etc] is the reason for the plight of high functioning autistics in Singapore.

I want to do a survey here.

Do you hate the low functioning autistics even if they are the ones who so-called give autism a bad name?

I personally don't hate them ... they just see the world different like any high functioning asperger's person. But the general populace tend to define groups by the lowest common denominator so its easy to understand how people would hear the word autism and think of those at the very extreme end. For most people it would be too difficult to imagine the small things like being so terrified of speaking to someone you have an anxiety attack for instance.

Think about stories you read on the news. Islamic extremists for instance are one branch of islam and you will often read comments on news articles of people tarring all muslims with the same brush so to speak (islam actually is a pacifist religion for instance). that's the most extreme example I can think off. Body image is the other one. Think about how people react to someone who is just a little podgy or someone who is super slim? The general population doesn't think like we do so to them autism means just one thing ... flapping hands, inability to communicate, uncontrolled behaviour, biting, slapping etc etc Only the educated few will know different.

I have only met them briefly in passing, and so I really have nothing to base an opinion of them on. Maybe I am just better at blending in than they are--Lord knows, I'd flap and rock a lot if I wasn't aware of the problems it would cause me

I don't hate them either & so far, in all the posts & threads I've read on this forum, I haven't heard of anyone here who does. Perhaps it can look like a dislike when some of us say that we shouldn't be classified in the same medical category that they're in. Many conditions have similar symptoms. That doesn't make the illnesses the same. I don't think that the DSM 5 should be eliminating Asperger's Syndrome, for instance. Asperger was quite expansive & detailed in his description of & defining of the syndrome that bears his name. We Aspies do have some traits that can resemble those of some low functioning Auties but we don't have them to anywhere near the extent & degree that they do. Many of the LFA patients are so severely impaired as to e completely dependant upon others for every single basic need they have from toileting to hygiene to feeding. They are oblivious to the world around them: not just for brief periods of 'zoning out' but as their constant mental state.

The reasons I'd like to see 2 separate spectra is that, as an Aspie, I just don't fit onto the Autism spectrum with LFAs. Our conditions may be 'cousins' to each other, but we're not conjoined twins. I'd like to see an Autism Spectrum & an Asperger's Spectrum.

Looking at the Aspies here, we function differently in different areas. Some of us are more gregarious, sociable & friendly whereas others are more introverted & reclusive. We fit into different areas on the Aspie Spectrum in different categories. WE may have a few traits that vaguely resemble those of some LFAs, the reverse isn't true: LFAs are definitely not Aspies.

The fact that we're different doesn't mean that anyone needs to hate anyone else any more than those with Asthma need to hate people with COPD.

Why would anyone hate them? They can't help being low-functioning. What I hate is society's ignorance. That's what really gives autism its bad name.

That sounds like evil. Honestly, your friend sounds like a complete twat waffle :/

No i do not hate them. i think that is sickening. Being somewhere between classic and high functioning myself, i would be more understanding on how to help them. Did your friend ever stop to think WHY they may bite or hit people? i have had phases of biting as a child but learned that wasnt acceptable. Lower functioning people can still learn as long as you teach them in a way they can understand.
But to hate those people means you probably have nothing better to do or just need to hate something due to some human character flaw.

I think functioning labels hurt all autistics. Not the lower hurting the higher.

in general, elitists come in all forms of asshole and **** on everyone who isnt like them.

Ok im done.

I know, maybe the lack of coverage of services of high functioning aspies in our country is appalling. This gave my former friend the wrong impression that low functioning autistic people are being taken care of while he suffers in the mainstream?

Some people express their intolerance of the verbal stimming, rocking and flapping of autistic people and label it as antisocial - but lots of things which people do on a daily basis are far more irritating to me and extremely antisocial, such as talking or beeping on phone in public places, smoking in public places, coming out of the pub drunk and shouting, noisy people in restaurants, car horns - so I really don't see why people would hate low functioning autistics' behaviour when there is so much noisy, irritating and antisocial bahaviour around them which is tolerated.

I do not hate them, but as a high-functioning person with Aspergers I see huge differences between myself and them. I have seen this first-hand on numerous occasions. They cannot be held responsible for their predicament and I feel sorry for them.

From the ones I have interacted with it is obvious they will most likely never be independent, have romantic relationships/marriage, move onto higher education/career, etc. There are exceptions, of course.

I will be bluntly honest: I have met many at meet-ups in New York City and quite frankly I could not relate to them at all and I questioned if I even had Aspergers, in comparison. I act nothing like them.

There are differences but they should not be shamed or be made to feel as lesser people.

EDIT: And from what Soup points out of some with high-functioning Aspergers, above, I personally do not feel as if I should be classified in the same medical condition as lower-functioning. It is almost two different things.

Last edited:
I can relate to this as well. I just found out recently that I'm on the high-functioning end of the spectrum myself, though I've always had a suspicion and grew up with lots of accommodations in school... even still, coupled with a mood disorder, I go to school, work, etc.... now, I work as a Paraprofessional, a caretaker. ... and one of my clients has full-blown classic Autism, with intellectual deficit and all... Working with him sometimes makes me feel I couldn't possibly be on any similar category even if it is a "spectrum". .. it's pretty damn wide... It makes me think that the idea of two separate disorders would make more sense. And btw, nothing against my client. Just an observation. He's kind of a big teddy bear.

I've never met one of the classic autistics, but at a distance, no, they don't bother me. They're just some person having issues, whether it's their body doing it to them or society.

No I don't hate them. I just feel disconnected from them. I know that's not me, but I also know we are on the same spectrum. I feel lucky not to have autism so severe that it impairs my ability to communicate verbally.

I know some will say "but they don't want to communicate! They have their own beautiful world from within" - that may be true, but I've read a few blogs written by non verbal autistics and both express a frustration at not being able to communicate their thoughts to others when they want to connect. And frankly that would suck.

That sounds like evil. Honestly, your friend sounds like a complete twat waffle :/

No i do not hate them. i think that is sickening. Being somewhere between classic and high functioning myself, i would be more understanding on how to help them. Did your friend ever stop to think WHY they may bite or hit people? i have had phases of biting as a child but learned that wasnt acceptable. Lower functioning people can still learn as long as you teach them in a way they can understand.
But to hate those people means you probably have nothing better to do or just need to hate something due to some human character flaw.

I think functioning labels hurt all autistics. Not the lower hurting the higher.

in general, elitists come in all forms of asshole and **** on everyone who isnt like them.

Ok im done.
Twat waffle? Too funny!

Elitist aspie? That is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life. I have never talked to or met another person with asperger's.

Elitist aspie.... someone with asperger's with soical issues, struggles all their life only to make a group to push out others that have struggled the same way...

Elitist aspie in my opinion is non-functioning. And yes that is an insult to elitist aspie people.

Elitist aspie? That is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life. I have never talked to or met another person with asperger's.

Elitist aspie.... someone with asperger's with soical issues, struggles all their life only to make a group to push out others that have struggled the same way...

Elitist aspie in my opinion is non-functioning. And yes that is an insult to elitist aspie people.

YOUW! You have won the prize! XD

I don't hate them because I feel that every life on Earth has value. I also find them to be very interesting people once I get to know them. I was friends with someone who functioned differently than me for a few years at the clubhouse that I go to. We had a blast together.

I need more data to understand this are those who have problems with low functioning autism in a majority have you noticed if or if not these are people who are self diagnosed?

I'd be very surprised if your low-functioning ones were not all officially diagnosed. Typically, the lower your functioning capabilities are considered to be, the more likely you are to get lassoed, dragged off to the doctor, and branded.

New Threads

Top Bottom